Blade Runner on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Runner on DVD

Found out on IMDb that Blade Runner will be released tomorrow (12/18/07) in either a four disc collector's edition or a five disc ultimate collector's edition. Both versions will have the original theatrical version as well as the director's cut as well as the "final cut" of the movie.

Re: Blade Runner on DVD

Does anybody know, offhand, just how many different edits of this film there have been? I think this is at least the fifth "official" one.

I could see how some of the early re-releases had to happen, as we know Ridley Scott didn't want the voice over, didn't want the wishy-washy ending, and so on... things I think even viewers could sense and were glad to see changed.

But it seems now he's changing even more, based in part on the cultural impact and overall response the film has had over the years, which is cheating, a little bit. Now that he's got over two decades of reviews and academic analysis, he can tinker to emphasize just how prescient his vision was, you know?

Not that it isn't his right, and surely the re-re-releases of "Star Wars" films make Ridley's changes look like a typo... but at this point I think we're mostly just buying nostalgia and helping him get braces for his grandkids or something.

Comment

Only reason that I'm buying this one that's coming out ('course I could find an older one if I wanted), is I can't find the version I bought. It completely disappeared.

After the first "re-do" of the original Star Wars trilogy I didn't buy any follow-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        Does anybody know, offhand, just how many different edits of this film there have been? I think this is at least the fifth "official" one.
        Looking at the product description from Amazon, I count five. There are:
        1. 1982 THEATRICAL VERSION
        2. 1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION
        3. 1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT
        4. WORKPRINT VERSION (not included in the 4 disc version)
        5. "FINAL CUT" VERSION

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          ... I think we're mostly just buying nostalgia and helping him get braces for his grandkids or something.
          Exactly. That is why I will just stick with the $3.98 DVD version I bought from WalMart 2 years ago when they were clearing out the bargain bins. I think I have the 1992 director's cut. No biggie for me not to get other versions of the same film.... I'll wait around and see what happens in a few years. Perhaps this new release may someday end up in the $5 bin... and if not, not a big deal.

I hardly can find the time to watch many of the DVDs I buy. I've already stopped buying new releases since I don't get around to watching them immediately... and when I finally do, those DVDs are selling for like $7.50.... like the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"... already in WalMart's $7.50 rack. And to think I paid about $14 for this when it first came out... That teaches me now to wait.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

while i do admire the movie, i cherish the book more. wouldn't have read it unless some professor at UH made me do it. too bad i can't remember which prof, for what class, or whether i got an A or D for it. *snort*
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Went to the Iwilei's Costco this morning and they didn't have any version of Blade Runner on display.

Comment

A friend of mine picked this up, and even though he owns two prior "special editions," he says it's still totally worth it. Apparently the film restoration is spectacular, and he's seeing details in the film that he never saw, and it's one of his favorite movies of all time.

Comment

I checked the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart last night, they are selling the 2 disc final cut version.

Comment

Related to Blade Runner, some of you might enjoy Renaissance. Cyberpunk thriller but not live action; 3D models (with motion capture if that's any consolation) in Black and White.

Comment

Picked up a copy of the Ultimate version at Sam's Club a few days ago.

Comment

While I have opened the box the DVDs came in I never had the chance to view any of these movies.

Perhaps one of these days I will view one of the movies before seeing Blade Runner 2049.

Comment

I bought the complete set.

I went to watch it the other day and all the disks were corrupted, I suppose by the high humidity of Kahalu`u.

Well, I've watched so many versions multiple times anyway.
                          just waiting for October 6, BR:II.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                          X