Word Translation: Kewalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word Translation: Kewalo

Ok, it's a street in Makiki, it's Kewlao Basin. What does the word mean?

I tried on-line dictionaries and got no answer.

Is it even a real word? Or is it Ke and Walo? Or Kewalo?

Please share your insights.

Re: Word Translation: Kewalo

Got this from a Hawaiian Dictionary-

Ke-walo
    Section 22 of Honolulu (map 6), basin (harbor), and surfing areas, one called Ke-walo (Diamond Head side of the channel) and another, Point Panic (ʻEwa side). Outcasts (kauwā) intended for sacrifice were drowned here. Lit., the calling (as an echo).

Comment

Bobinator, you should cite your sources. That particular citation is from Place Names of Hawaiʻi (Pukui, Elbert, & Moʻokini), although I'm guessing you probably ran across it as part of the online Hawaiian dictionary at http://wehewehe.org.

Comment

if i recall from a bit of history i read somewhere, the kewalo/point panic area used to be a holding place for lepers en route to kalaupapa. i don't remember where i got that info. but if i'm right, and the info bobinator provided is actually validated, twould be interesting, eh?

in fact, i googled kewalo and lepers and found a pdf of a proposal to erect a memorial to mother marianne cope that states the following:

On September 29, 2008 the Sisters of St. Francis requested permission from the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) to erect a statue in memory of Mother Marianne Cope at the Point Panic lookout to commemorate her work in Kaka‘ako and Molokai on behalf of leprosy patients. At the HCDA monthly meeting on November 5, HCDA staff presented the proposal as an information item.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
          Bobinator, you should cite your sources. That particular citation is from Place Names of Hawaiʻi (Pukui, Elbert, & Moʻokini), although I'm guessing you probably ran across it as part of the online Hawaiian dictionary at http://wehewehe.org.
          I did, actually. I could not find any Hawaiian definition for the word "kewalo". It appears that the last few words of the phrase I provided may be the literal translation.

Comment

Working...
          X