Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

We have a few "local" places that serve Manapua. It's eh...ok, but nothing beats Manapua from Honolulu.
    Leila
    Blue Ridge Telecom
    Blueridge Telecom

Comment

Originally posted by kamlost
      steamed is best! fried is good too. But there's nothing like the steamed.
      You can fry manapua?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
        You can fry manapua?
        Anything is possible, if they can deep fry Twinkies and Snickers bars! But do they put the manapua in batter to deep fry it, or just take an unsteamed manapua and toss it into the fryer?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I just had some manapua from the "99 Store" or whatever that's called in Mapunapuna (I didn't pick it up; somebody else did). It was pork, not char siu, and it had very little if any fat or gristle. It comes ready for microwaving or steaming. I've got an electric steamer, which is nice but a pain to clean -- thou shalt not put any part into the dishwasher, it says -- and it took no time at all to fluff up the munchy goodness. They're standard size and come in packages of four.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Good Manapua and Hilo...a phrase you'll never hear in Hilo.

I'd like to revive this thread. I had to laugh when one of my friends who has never tasted really good Manapua from Oahu told me she loves the stuff and the best she's ever tasted (in Hilo) was from 7-Eleven! Sad to say but she's probably right as there is no really good Dim Sum place here at all. Probably because the Chinese never really settled into Hilo at all. Even the best chinese restaurants are a joke here.
            I noticed for some time now that everytime I go back home to the big island, no mo' Sun Sun Lau and Seven Seas are long gone too (not that this was strictly a chinese food place mind you LOL). There was another one but the name escapes me at the moment. Used to be in downtown Hilo. *sighs* Alot of places are gone now, Kress', Project 3, Western Auto, Woolworths (mmmm their chicken was the bestest!). Still get Dairy Queen though!
            He leo wale no...

Comment

Currently munching on a cheeseburger manapua from 7-11. It looks more of a variation of a lup chong manapua, the burger meat is in a saugause form.

Comment

Char Hung Sut on Pauahi Street. They make excellent 1/2 moon, pork hash, peipeiyau, chow fun, etc. Too bad they're in the middle of...oh, neva mind!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I don't eat beef or pork; got any recommendations for places that make good NON-beef/pork manapua on Oahu?

Comment

Depending on the place they might also offer chicken manapua and other fillings.

Comment

There are veggie and chicken manapua out there. But you know, manapua without the pork is like fried chicken without the chicken. Even the name manapua has pig in it (it was originally mea ono pua'a, "the good pork thing").

Comment

You haven't eaten pork hash until you've eaten at Libby's on Kalihi street! Their half moon is tasty but the pork hash is the bestest of the bestest!

The sad part is that here on the Big Island, the best dim sum comes from your friendly 7-Eleven! Amazing. I was at the Pahoa 7-Eleven and saw their little heated display of Dim Sum. The pork hash tasted like pork trash but their manapua was pretty decent considering the store it was in. Not as good as Chinatown or Kalihi but better than anything else here.

If there's one thing I miss about Honolulu...it's Libby's Manapua! Oh and CompUSA, Circuit City, Zippy's and the host of electronic supply stores like Precision Radio, Honolulu Electronics and Electrical Equipment.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I just bought $85 worth of assorted manapua from Island Manapua Factory in Kalihi for my Air Force troops. It was their first breakfast manapua run! lol So all da haole boys and girls seemed to lean toward the baked char siu manapua and the new baked breakfast manapua which had scrambled eggs and portuguese sausage. We had steamed/baked char siu, pork hash, half moon, hot dog manapua, curry chicken manapua, chili and cheese manapua, egg rolls (lumpia) and the breakfast manapua. Should hold the troops up til after lunch! It's my job to introduce the local foods to these haole kids. They dunno what they're missing! lol

Reggie aka pinakboy
                          Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                          Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                          Recipe Tube TV!
                          Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Steamed with char siu for me as well. I never got a liking for the baked kind. It doesn't taste like manapua to me. It just tastes like bread stuffed with char siu, like one hot pocket. I'm set in my ways. Manapua "purist" so to say.
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I never had a good char siu bow yet here (and am from SF). fwiw I prefer the baked kine (since plenty places gyp you on the steam ones mostly dough only no filling!), some places brush the top lightly with sweet sugary coating, and the pork inside is not bright pink colored and has a great sauce. ono!

the bow I had the other day was baked but flaky/crumbly bread like some kind of muffin with the strange colored meat and no sauce. terrible. will keep trying different places till find the right one. fwiw best place for dim sum I ever been is called Yank Sing in SF. killer dishes and cart to table service. "ha gow! siu mai!" the best bow come from this place on Broadway St. x Stockton though forget the name. no go around the corner place they let their cat roam free on the counters and food prep areas /wtf

pork hash, you talking bout siu mai ("little drum" dim sums) or the hash "patties" (oh so good on top of rice with scramble eggs etc)

anyone know where makes good hong kong style noodles? dry fried kine. craving some tomato-beef jin mein!
                              this space for rent

Comment

Yank Sing goodies!

these have taro like mashed root inside, forget what maybe is chinese taro. outside so crispy. pour on some soy sauce and grindage

siu mai

roast duck roll your own bow w/hoisin - not just for banquets!
                                this space for rent

Comment

Working...
                                X