Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ramen on Oahu

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    I have that DVD, too. A couple of years ago, I was searching Amazon.com and searched for "Tampopo" even though I already had it. It was priced well over $100. It was considered out-of-print and rare. I search eBay and it was over $100 there as well. I think someone came out with a re-print, so the prices have dropped.

Looking at Amazon this morning, Tampopo is priced at $62.66. All right! I still have a rare DVD.
    Sorry, there is another version available for about $20 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SWNNCEAG99AT66

Comment

Bytheway, you are correct! There is another version for $20. But that is the re-issued version, which was released by another production company. The original DVD release is the one that is rare. When they re-issued Tampopo, the price on the original version went down. I think the original American version was priced even closer to $200. When that original DVD version was released, there was a big deal about scenes that were not included in the theatrical American release (mostly in the famous sex scene in the hotel room, the one with the raw egg). I’m still mystified about the price appreciation, though. I understand rare books (first editions, etc.), but first edition DVDs?

Whatever! The bottom line ... if you love ramen, food, a lot of laughs (and even some sex), you’ll love this movie. No matter what version.

Comment

I posted this yesterday, but something timed out.

I just have to say that Shiro's sucks. I've eaten there perhaps ten times and never have I had anything that wasn't sub-mediocre. This place is overrated as heck; I dislike the food and I hate the stupid collection of "poems" that decorates the wall. Just to make sure I wasn't over-reacting to bad memories of the poems, I read the one in today's Advertiser and holy cow, if that's not enough to keep you away from a joint, I don't know what is, Dear Hearts.

disclosure: I worked at Ezogiku just a few doors away from Shiro's and my mom was the manager for several years. But then again, my sister worked at Shiro's for two years, so I think that's a wash.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I went to Shiro's last night for the first time because I live right up the street from there. Unfortunately they were out of country fried noodles so I got the dodonpa (sp?) instead. I actually thought the shiru was really good! If this is considered to be bad I really have to check out some of the ones you guys mention that are supposed to be good.
          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I just went to Shirokiya with Beau.

But.

As soon as we walked into Shirokiya, the Security Guard saw my camera on my hand and told me I couldn't take pictures. I understood and quickly put my camera away in my purse. Beau and I proceeded up the escalators to the upper floor. OMG Ukapila food and Japanese goodies from cakes, candies, etc.

We headed for the back to the Ramen Section.

Dang! So many varieties. I got dizzy. I finally chose Won Ton Min and two Shrimp Tempuras. Beau ordered Udon with Shoyu Base. Also, Shrimp Tempuras. It was delicious. The soup was excellent. The shrimp ~ awwww...I wish I had one now.

As foa the Security Guard....he followed us up. He was by the entrance door facing me. I neba care. Shame is wen you STEAL!! After pau eat, we walked around. Yep. Security wen follow so I made shua we wen take a slow tour around Shirokiya. ha ha ha

I had a FuN time there with Beau. Security did their job. heheheh

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Next time bring in a big ass Sony 1/2" betacam and a sound crew with boom mike and tell them you're just in for lunch.

That security guard reminded me of the guards in China when reporters were asked about their cameras.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

once we started going to taishoken & kyoto ramen, all other ramen places were unceremoniously and unapologetically kicked to the curb. in our opinion, no one else is anywhere near good enough. sanoya? bleh--only if you think finding a roach under your noodles (as a friend of eric's did) is extra protein, and you don't mind really bad service (or more correctly, no service at all). ichi-ryu? why have so-so ramen when you can walk two doors down for an albeit completely different, but heavenly, bowl of noodles in bac nam's bun bo hue? besides, if i want awesome gyoza, i'll go to elim cafe where they make it by hand themselves. sumo? we'd rather buy a pack of sun noodle's tonkatsu ramen and make that at home than pay sumo for an inferior product that costs several times as much.

goma tei was better than i thought it would be, tho. if i was naruto-like in my jones for ramen and couldn't drive or walk to taishoken or kyoto ramen, i'd enjoy goma tei.

has anyone been to tenkaippin on kapahulu yet? the broth is, according to something i read, straight from japan. tenkaippin is actually a japanese chain, right?

jimbo's is the bomb; worth every penny. *sticks tongue at scriv*

yeah, we (used to) eat out waaaay too much.
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                  once we started going to taishoken & kyoto ramen, all other ramen places were unceremoniously and unapologetically kicked to the curb. in our opinion, no one else is anywhere near good enough.
                  Kyoto Ramen -- is that the same as Yotteko-ya, the place upstairs at McCully Shopping Center? Yeah, they're also very good. But I like Taishōken better.

I haven't been to Sanoya in years. Back in the late 80s when it first opened up, I ate there a lot. It was one of the only late-night alternatives that didn't start with a Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                    Kyoto Ramen -- is that the same as Yotteko-ya, the place upstairs at McCully Shopping Center? Yeah, they're also very good. But I like Taishōken better.

I haven't been to Sanoya in years. Back in the late 80s when it first opened up, I ate there a lot. It was one of the only late-night alternatives that didn't start with a Z.
                    yes, mr. miyashiro, they are the same. eric likes kyoto better than taishoken; i like taishoken better than kyoto.

i haven't been to sanoya in years--not since they kicked out the one friend in a party of six who wasn't ordering food. it didn't matter that everyone else collectively ordered enough for ten people. and then eric's friend's roach story just completely killed it. *shudders*
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

ichi-ryu? why have so-so ramen when you can walk two doors down for an albeit completely different, but heavenly, bowl of noodles in bac nam's bun bo hue? besides, if i want awesome gyoza, i'll go to elim cafe where they make it by hand themselves.
                      Why do I still go? Because it reminds me when I was in High School. How I used to sneak off campus and eat or order take-out. When I ordered take-outs for Drama, Speech, or Pep Squad rehearsals. I've seen the owners grow old as they've seen me grow old too.

We don't talk much when I go in. Just a hello and smile. Once in while a short conversation but we have a bond that was made long ago. Many of the restaurants I go to is the same. And yes, get cockroaches too. Dis is Hawai'i. Da buggas are all around. I know. I owned a restaurant. No restaurant is without dem critters.

BTW: I always order the Oyako Dumburi w/Miso Soup!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

ichi-ryu? why have so-so ramen when you can walk two doors down for an albeit completely different, but heavenly, bowl of noodles in bac nam's bun bo hue?
                        Because so-so ramen is still good, and whatever they have at Bac-Nam (haven't been there) isn't ramen.

besides, if i want awesome gyoza, i'll go to elim cafe where they make it by hand themselves.
                        Are you saying the gyoza at Ichi-Ryu isn't handmade by the people who work there? I couldn't tell you for sure because I've never been there when they make it, but that's quite an accusation. I can tell you that each of the Ezogiku restaurants makes its own gyoza by hand, and as I've said, I'd put Ezogiku solidly in the so-so range. I will agree that excellent gyoza is worth pursuing, but I'm going for the ramen first; gyoza's a secondary consideration.

goma tei was better than i thought it would be, tho. if i was naruto-like in my jones for ramen and couldn't drive or walk to taishoken or kyoto ramen, i'd enjoy goma tei.
                        I haven't tried those two places yet, though ramen-lovers like me keep telling me I must. I will say that Goma-Tei's tan-tan broth is the most amazing ramen broth I've ever had. How often do you eat something (especially in a ramen bowl) completely different from anything you've eaten before? Not often.

jimbo's is the bomb; worth every penny. *sticks tongue at scriv*
                        Okay, I'd like to know how you feel about Jimbo compared to other udon places. Is the udon at Jimbo THAT much better than the much, much lower-priced udon you can get elsewhere? Sure, I'll be happy to pay five bucks for two scoops of rice, but those two scoops better be UNBELIEVABLY amazing, because what the heck? It's rice.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

tenkaippin is actually a japanese chain, right?
                          Yes. I've been to one in Kyoto, on Imadegawa-doori.

Good ramen is very hard to find in Seattle, sadly. Just went to Vancouver, BC, last weekend, and hit Ezogiku first thing after dropping off our bags at the hotel, which was just about a block away.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                            Because so-so ramen is still good, and whatever they have at Bac-Nam (haven't been there) isn't ramen.
                            meh, not for us. we're the kind where if we want a chocolate bar, we'll go to tamura's and pay $3 for dagoba's organic gourmet stuff even if long's has a 3 of 99 cent sale on hersheys (yak!). or we'll go to bubbies twice in one week before we buy a big tub of meadow gold ice cream.

it's not like we're so rolling in dough that we only eat upscale. eric & both grew up lower middle class and we have our share of humble meals at home (cereal for dinner, anyone? or canned sardines heated in the micro w/hot rice sprinkled with furukake and a side of kim chee from queens?). but when it comes to eating out or treating ourselves, we choose to spend the $$ on what we feel is good, not mediocre. we'll stay home & doctor a a serving of sun noodle with cabbage, nori, chili pepper, egg & leftover bulgogi before we leave the house for ichiryu.

Are you saying the gyoza at Ichi-Ryu isn't handmade by the people who work there? I couldn't tell you for sure because I've never been there when they make it, but that's quite an accusation. I can tell you that each of the Ezogiku restaurants makes its own gyoza by hand, and as I've said, I'd put Ezogiku solidly in the so-so range. I will agree that excellent gyoza is worth pursuing, but I'm going for the ramen first; gyoza's a secondary consideration.
                            the only thing i was saying is that i am exceedingly fond of the gyoza at elim cafe, which i've seen them make by hand. if i'm jonesing for gyoza, i'll go there, not ichiryu, the same way if i'm jonesing for ramen, i'll....not to go ichiryu.

I haven't tried those two places yet, though ramen-lovers like me keep telling me I must. I will say that Goma-Tei's tan-tan broth is the most amazing ramen broth I've ever had. How often do you eat something (especially in a ramen bowl) completely different from anything you've eaten before? Not often.
                            yes, not often, i agree. when i have the opportunity to try something completely different, food-wise, and it's soo good, for me it's like god reached down from heaven to rub my tummy lovingly. seriously!

i'd say that before i went to taishoken, i'd never eaten a ramen bowl like what's served up there (i prefer ramen versus tsukemen). same with kyoto. very different styles. the tan tan at goma tei is a third, different style as well. i need to go to goma tei when i'm not sick; the one time we went i was suffering a bad cold so i don't think i had the full gastronomic experience.

Okay, I'd like to know how you feel about Jimbo compared to other udon places. Is the udon at Jimbo THAT much better than the much, much lower-priced udon you can get elsewhere? Sure, I'll be happy to pay five bucks for two scoops of rice, but those two scoops better be UNBELIEVABLY amazing, because what the heck? It's rice.
                            i do not believe i have ever been to an shop that had udon as good as, or slightly less good as jimbo's, but at a better price. if you can recommend a more than passable udon shop at a good price, please do--we'll try it out.

Sure, I'll be happy to pay five bucks for two scoops of rice, but those two scoops better be UNBELIEVABLY amazing, because what the heck? It's rice.
                            um, you realize that eric and i are the kind of people who (1) don't eat rice at every meal (2) take note when a restaurant touts which brand of rice they serve (3) forsake all other rice at the grocery store to buy a five pound bag of brown that costs $7 or more?

let me put it to you this way: imagine that i'm going to meet you for beer & pupu, and we decide i am going to bring the beer. imagine that i am at safeway in front of the beers, and i see that a 20 pack of bud light is on sale for $14.99. i also see that a six pack of sam adams long shots is on sale for $8.99. which would you honestly prefer i bring to share? after all, it's just beer.

Comment

meh, not for us. we're the kind where if we want a chocolate bar, we'll go to tamura's and pay $3 for dagoba's organic gourmet stuff even if long's has a 3 of 99 cent sale on hersheys (yak!). or we'll go to bubbies twice in one week before we buy a big tub of meadow gold ice cream.
                              Okay, I see we're not communicating well here, because I'm the same way. I think maybe you don't understand that to me (and to certain friends of mine of similar ethnic backgrounds), ramen is at the same time special and mundane. Yes, I will spend more for it when it's especially good, but even when it's only mediocre, it is still pretty dang good and only costs six bucks a bowl. It fills you up, makes you warm and happy, remind you of mom, and doesn't give you diner's regret, the way chili cheese fries, fried chicken, or a huge, juicy hamburger sometimes do. I agree that Ichi-Ryu is middle-of-the-road fare, but it's priced about right for that, and mediocre ramen is still better than anything on the menu at most neighborhood diners. I've lived near Hungry Lion and Kenny's Restaurant, so I know.

but when it comes to eating out or treating ourselves, we choose to spend the $$ on what we feel is good, not mediocre. we'll stay home & doctor a a serving of sun noodle with cabbage, nori, chili pepper, egg & leftover bulgogi before we leave the house for ichiryu.
                              I'm not rolling in it either, and I think the main difference here is that when I eat at home (which I do a lot of; I really enjoy cooking), I'm eating alone. When I eat out, I'm still eating alone most of the time, but at least I'm out. And for the past three years while I've worked on my degree, I've eaten out with ridiculous and alarming frequency, because I can't get any studying done at home. So I've learned not to make every meal out an event, since I really can't afford that. I haven't yet reached the level of the guys who order the Spam sandwich at Liliha Bakery, but I have had beef stew at a few plate-lunch places in the past three years, something I used to consider a sin, especially since I make better beef stew than anywhere I go except Nico's.

i do not believe i have ever been to an shop that had udon as good as, or slightly less good as jimbo's, but at a better price. if you can recommend a more than passable udon shop at a good price, please do--we'll try it out.
                              What I was trying to say is that udon is, well, nothing to get excited about. My rice example was no good, and I realized it shortly after I posted it, because my mom has paid ridiculous amounts of money for rice, and so have I when I've given it to her as a gift on Mothers Day. But I think the Spam sandwich example might be a better one. Udon you make at home is really cheap and not usually something to get excited about. Jimbo udon is much, much better, but it's not so much better that it's worth that price. I mean, Liliha Bakery might make the best dang Spam sandwich on the planet, but I'm not paying two bucks for it, so I'll never know. Don't get me wrong; Jimbo is good. I didn't regret the bucks I spent when I went there the week it opened. But udon is just not the kind of thing you go out and spend that much money on. I mean, it's not the kind of thing _I_ go out and spend that much money on. It's not as if it were ramen!

let me put it to you this way: imagine that i'm going to meet you for beer & pupu, and we decide i am going to bring the beer. imagine that i am at safeway in front of the beers, and i see that a 20 pack of bud light is on sale for $14.99. i also see that a six pack of sam adams long shots is on sale for $8.99. which would you honestly prefer i bring to share? after all, it's just beer.
                              This is an unreasonable scenario because if you were one of the few people I'd trust to bring the beer, you wouldn't even know what the price on the Bud Light was. But let's say we were going to the HT picnic and you said you were bringing the bottled water. If you had to choose between twenty-four bottles of Crystal Geyser at $5 and twenty-four bottles of some tropical import at $9, are you telling me you wouldn't settle for the $5 water, even if the $9 water was super super super good?
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                                And yes, get cockroaches too. Dis is Hawai'i. Da buggas are all around. I know. I owned a restaurant. No restaurant is without dem critters.
                                sorry, auntie lynn, for the late reply. looks like my eyes glossed over your post to get to scriv's right after yours yesterday.

anyway, yes, da "buggahs are all around," but all sanoya did when eric's friend complained he had a roach in his soup was give him a blank stare and say, "oh." are you saying that's acceptable?

Okay, I see we're not communicating well here...
                                on the contrary, i think we are communicating just fine. it's obvious to me that there are certain things, food-wise, that are important to us that are not important to you, and vice-versa.

for you, a bowl of udon at jimbo's is "nothing to get excited about," and that's fine.

for us, a bowl of ramen at ichiryu isn't worth paying for when we can have what we believe to be just as good from a package we buy at foodland. you don't agree; that's fine too.

it seems some people are getting huffy bcs they think i'm insulting their choices or friends who own restaurants. far from it. i wasn't looking down on anyone for their food choices when i said, "why go to *whatever restaurant we wouldn't go to* when you can *do the thing we'd rather do instead." i was saying that x restaurant does not represent good value to us so we don't go there; we go to y restaurant or do z thing. it's all about good value; your perception of what is a good value may be different, and no less valid, than ours.

This is an unreasonable scenario because if you were one of the few people I'd trust to bring the beer, you wouldn't even know what the price on the Bud Light was. But let's say we were going to the HT picnic and you said you were bringing the bottled water. If you had to choose between twenty-four bottles of Crystal Geyser at $5 and twenty-four bottles of some tropical import at $9, are you telling me you wouldn't settle for the $5 water, even if the $9 water was super super super good?
                                your water analogy doesn't hold...water....*ba rum bump!*... because that's a "pearls before swine" situation. not that i'm calling HTers pigs--i'm saying it's never a good value to buy a premium food item when the situation and people for whom you're buying are satisfied with the more banal, or if they don't like that food item in particular. for example, i'd never pay for a bunch of jj pastry's chocolate pyramids at $4.50 per person to a potluck party; i'd pick up an apple pie or two from costco. in that situation, i'll happily choose pie over cake. *winks at pomai*

my beer analogy works better specifically bcs i know you are someone who appreciates something more complex than "canoe water." in fact, you turn your nose at bud light, much the way we'd turn our noses at ramen from ezogiku, or beef stew from zippy's, or fried chicken that isn't homemade or from kj's, or a latte from starbucks.

has anyone been to tenkaippin on kapahulu yet? the broth is, according to something i read, straight from japan. tenkaippin is actually a japanese chain, right?.
                                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Yes. I've been to one in Kyoto, on Imadegawa-doori.
                                thanks for the clarification, leo! how was tenkaippin?

Comment

Working...
                                X