Do you look your age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you look your age?

Were you able to buy cigarettes or alcohol before the legal age? Were you getting hit on buy older people when you were in high school? Are you mistaken for being your brother's dad? This thread would like to hear from you!

Oh, and me: I've been driving since the age of 12, but now I'm stopped by cops for truancy.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Do you look your age?

Nope. Although I have the mental capacity (and attention span) of an adolescent, I actually look older than I am. Thanks to a textbook Scorpio demeanor, a prematurely receding hairline (or at least an enormous forehead courtesy my dad), and bad skin, I look 10 years older than I am.

Don't believe me? I was 19 when I met my wife in college, when she was 21. She thought I worked for the university. Even after learning I was a student, she figured I was a nontrad or grad student. She and her friends had come to the conclusion that I was in my late 20s, possibly 30. In short, she thought I wasn an older guy, which was her preferred prospect. Imagine her shock when I turned out to still be a teenager.

Still don't believe me? Strangers have asked her, despite our clear lack of genetic commonality, if I was her dad. Her dad!

Still don't believe me? People have frequently mistaken me for my mom's husband. That, frankly, is immensely depressing.

Now that I'm 33, I probably look 43 (and definitely have the waistline, though I'm actually working on losing weight). And I feel 53, since kids always make you feel old as it is, and because I frequently descend into fits of crankiness that would make a genuine geezer proud.

Comment

OH PZ!
      Puh-Leaze!
      When I first met PZ, he was in college, and he was all over Ka Leo, so he had this kinda quirky, nerdy, supremely coolness about him in a geeky kinda way. He and Dick were buds and they were like the gods of Ka Leo. They knew everything newsy and that was fun to observe. I was an <ahem> older, non-trad student who didn't act her age. Still don't. I didn't get carded until I was 21 and continued to get carded into my 40s. I think the last time I got carded I was 43 or so, and I thanked them. haha.

I disagree that kids age you, as I think they keep me young, making me run around all over the place, thinking one step ahead of them, etc. After we dropped the girls off at school last Thursday, my husband suggested I could surf with a couple of my friends I saw heading out. So yeah, getting to go out to play keeps one young, too.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

This tutu last got carded a year or 2 ago. Really! It happened at McDonald's Nanakuli when I ordered a senior Diet Coke. They actually asked me to prove that I was of legal age...55! I'd long exited my 50s. MADE MY DAY!

Comment

I unfortunately look older than my age. When the cashier at several McDonalds sells me a cup of coffee for 50-cents (I'm 48-years old), I don't know whether to complain or thank them as I love coffee and the discounted price is a pleasant one.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I still look younger than my years, thanks to my monthly "beautification" process (hair color and cut), although the gap is narrowing. My hair and teeth are still my own. I am now qualified for the Tuesday "senior citizens' discount" at Don Quijote (fka Daiei, fka Holiday Mart).

I had a get-together with a number of classmates a week-and-a-half ago. The women now sport shorter hair-dos while the men seem to be short of hair.

Comment

I bought my first pack of Camels and a six pack at the age of 17, no questions asked. Have had a beard since 15 so that might have helped.

I feel like I look "age appropriate" though I am getting old enough to where the things that stopped hurting years ago, hurt again, and I get wore out a little more easily...

Now, it is GREAT to get carded! Happened every now and again at the ABC on the corner of Hobron and Ala Moana.

It seems back in D.C. I never got carded, or saw anyone get carded.
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

I have always given off the impression that I am older than I am. I believe it is a combo of looks + demeanor, as I have always gotten "you are *only* (age)??"

pax

Comment

I was clubbing at age 14 (thanks to a fake ID from my sister). When I was a Junior Leader in the 9th grade (still 14), I was asked out on a date by a Senior Leader who was 21 (He didn't know my age).
                  When I was 15, I was working in an Orthodontist office as a receptionist. I was asked out by a Dr. from another office - he was 31. He thought I was in my 20's.
                  I never got carded until I was way into my 20's. Then everything reversed. When I was 29, my husband and I took his 13 yr old son to sign up for soccer. They asked my husband if he wanted to sign his daughter up too. hee hee hee...I was flattered, but my hubby didn't find it too funny.
                  I'm 44 now and I still get carded every now and then. I think it's because I wear less or no make up. Whatever the reason, I wanna kiss every one of those kids who card me!
                  So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I get carded regularly at bars/restaurants, so I'm gonna assume I look younger than I am. People don't believe me when I tell them my age a lot of the time. My boyfriend loves it because it means they always politely ask him for his ID too since he's with me, so he jokes a lot about being flattered that they think he's so young.

Guess I'm good at hiding those wrinkles that I can see appearingon my forehead...or maybe it's all that dim lighting--a girl's best friend!

Comment

Maybe it's the career in music and broadcasting, which we all know keeps your youthful appearance (why, just look at Keith Richards! You know, he turns 101 this year, and barely looks a day over ... three years deceased), but I have long been mistaken for being at least a decade younger than I am.

Until I talk, and tell anecdotes that reveal I've been around longer than it appears.

Comment

I get carded for rated R movies and super glue at stores. No one ever believes that I have 3 kids and that my husband and I have been together for 10 years (married for 9).

In my teens I must have looked older because I also went clubbing with a fake ID (from my older sister as well, *waves to Kalei*). I dated a couple older men (in their late 20s) at 16/17 years of age. I'm just hoping my rotten teen years don't come back at me with my boys.
                        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I am regularly offered senior discounts, no ID asked-for, even though though I've got a decade or so to go. Sigh.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I think so...without wrinkles.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                              I was clubbing at age 14 (thanks to a fake ID from my sister). When I was a Junior Leader in the 9th grade (still 14), I was asked out on a date by a Senior Leader who was 21 (He didn't know my age).
                              When I was 15, I was working in an Orthodontist office as a receptionist. I was asked out by a Dr. from another office - he was 31. He thought I was in my 20's.
                              I never got carded until I was way into my 20's. Then everything reversed. When I was 29, my husband and I took his 13 yr old son to sign up for soccer. They asked my husband if he wanted to sign his daughter up too. hee hee hee...I was flattered, but my hubby didn't find it too funny.
                              I'm 44 now and I still get carded every now and then. I think it's because I wear less or no make up. Whatever the reason, I wanna kiss every one of those kids who card me!

Kalei! Such a Hussy in your younger days! haha! You were one of those girls I was in awe of. Like you totally skipped training bras!
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X