What song(s) has/have made you cry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What song(s) has/have made you cry?

I don't know why, but Stevie Wonder's "I Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer" gets me all the time.

"How Much is That Doggy in the Window?" used to make me cry up until I was about 18 or 19. There was a line in there that goes, "I do hope that doggy's for sale". That got me thinkin that no one's gonna buy the dog if it's not on sale, and it'll get older sittin in the pet shop. Eventually it won't be a puppy anymore, and no one's gonna buy it 'cause who wants an old dog? Then I start crying, thinking that the poor dog won't ever chase frisbees, won't fetch sticks, won't be tickled, won't sleep on his family's feet in bed. No one's gonna ask it, "you're a good boy! yes you are! who's a good boy? who'sagoodboywho'sagoodboywho'sagoodboy?"
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: What song(s) has/have made you cry?

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I don't know why, but Stevie Wonder's "I Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer" gets me all the time.

"How Much is That Doggy in the Window?" used to make me cry up until I was about 18 or 19. There was a line in there that goes, "I do hope that doggy's for sale". That got me thinkin that no one's gonna buy the dog if it's not on sale, and it'll get older sittin in the pet shop. Eventually it won't be a puppy anymore, and no one's gonna buy it 'cause who wants an old dog? Then I start crying, thinking that the poor dog won't ever chase frisbees, won't fetch sticks, won't be tickled, won't sleep on his family's feet in bed. No one's gonna ask it, "you're a good boy! yes you are! who's a good boy? who'sagoodboywho'sagoodboywho'sagoodboy?"
    the stevie wonder song gets me, too.

lots of songs, over the years, have gotten me to cry. lately, ingrid michaelson's "take me the way i am" does the trick.

yes, i know it was in a commercial and in "gray's anatomy."
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Watch this video of Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles singing "Stay." Have a kleenex handy around the 3-minute mark.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

On this past Wednesday's episode of American Idol auditions in Atlanta, there was contestant Asia'h Epperson, who sang “How Do I Live” by LeAnn Rimes to honor her dad, who had died from a car accident just two days before her audition.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

"Here's To Life," as recorded by the late jazz vocalist Shirley Horn. A life-in-review perspective, it became her signature song after she recorded it in 1992. With a gorgeous Johnny Mandel orchestral arrangement, including a soaring french horn solo at the song's climax, my throat always, repeat: always tightens up when I hear her recording.

Listen closely, and you can hear Ms. Horn get a little choked up herself at a key point in the song - and that's the part that always pushes me over.

I cannot recommend this song enough, no matter what your musical tastes. I've literally seen it bring tears to the eyes of classical, funk, metal and hip-hop heads. Aspects of this entire album infused my own jazz production work about four years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            On this past Wednesday's episode of American Idol auditions in Atlanta, there was contestant Asia'h Epperson, who sang “How Do I Live” by LeAnn Rimes to honor her dad, who had died from a car accident just two days before her audition.
            This absolutely nailed me the other night. I still get all misty just thinking about it. It got to the judges, too, and Paula eventually had to leave the judges table to recompose herself.

Comment

Those songs sung by Loyal (Garner) always made me cry, she was so good!
              That and oddly enough "You and Me Against the World" by Helen Reddy always makes me cry, it reminds me of me and my mom and when she dies I know
              I'll have a hard time when that plays on the radio.

Strangely enough I have weird memories of "I Feel Good" by James Brown.
              My mom had had her first of 5 heart attacks and I was calling the hospital to see how she was (she's on the mainland) and they confirmed it was her I was calling about put me on hold and that song's first line yelled into the phone "I feel good" (ironic for a ICU ward hold line) and they said is Mr.......Your father? and I said yes and they said, "oh he's had a stroke and was just admitted to the ICU as well." Talk about a double whammy......

Comment

Back in the late 70's when Honolulu City Lights came out, I was home on leave from the USAF. I was packing my bags getting ready for the 11:50pm flight out to Denver and feeling all sad because I was leaving the islands. As I was packing I was listening to KKUA and Kamasami Kong play his usual evening music when he cracked the mic and announced, "This is for all of those who are leaving the islands tonight" and he played Honolulu City Lights.
                What was ironic was that I was packing my bags and leaving on the midnight flight. I stopped, sat down, and cried.
                To this date, I still get all chicken-skin when I hear that song. What was even more amazing was when I heard it again after the death of Karen Carpenter.

I love that song, Honolulu has been my stompin' grounds for over 40-years and I've seen this town grow up to what it is now, that's why I felt so sad when I caught that one-way trip to the Big Island to start another 40-years of memories with my children. I want my children to experience the Honolulu I grew up in and Hilo represents that time so long ago.

Honolulu City Lights...one day it will bring me back again
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                  [...]"oh he's had a stroke and was just admitted to the ICU as well." Talk about a double whammy......
                  I can so relate, leashlaws. My mom had a stroke the day after my dad passed.

But, back on topic...
                  Aloha Oe by the Cazimeros, my favorite version of that song, is known to drop me to my knees in mega-sobs. That was also my dad's favorite version and when he passed I sent the CD with that track to the mortuary on the mainland to play next to my dad's casket, prior to the service, when he was all alone. The CD was then placed in his casket. It's been almost 5 years and that song still has the same effect on me.

Small world...the mortuary assistant assigned to our family was originally from Hawaii. She "got it".

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    I heard it again after the death of Karen Carpenter.
                    Busted link; try here.

Now, if only that heavenly-voiced woman hadn't pronounced it as Hah-nah-lu-lu...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Busted link; try here.

Now, if only that heavenly-voiced woman hadn't pronounced it as Hah-nah-lu-lu...
                      I know, it kinda raked across my head when I heard it that way too. Thanks for the relink.

Amazing how something as simple as Windows Movie Maker can make something so nice.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        that audition really made me cry!
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        reflect, repent and reboot.
                        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

"Don't Do It" by the Band

Baby don't you do it, don't do it
                          Don't you break my heart
                          Pleeeeease don't do it, don't you break my heart

I sacrifice for you baby keep nothing for myself
                          Now you wanna leave me for the love of someone else
                          My pride is all gone whether I'm right or wrong
                          I need you baby to keep on keepin' on

You know I'm trying to my best
                          Oh i'm trying to do my best
                          Don't do it, don't you break my heart

My biggest mistake was loving you too much and letting you know
                          Now you got me where you want me and you won't let me go
                          If my heart was made of glass well then you'd surely see
                          How much heartache and misery, girl, you've been causing me

While I've been trying to do my best
                          Well I've tried to do my best

Go down to the river and there I be
                          I'm gonna jump in girl, but you don't care bout me
                          Open up your eyes
                          Can't ya see I love ya?
                          Open up you heart, girl
                          Can't ya see I need ya?

Oh baby don't do it, do it, do it
                          Don't you break my heart
                          Pleeeeease don't do it don't you break my heart

My biggest mistake was loving you too much and letting you know
                          Now you got me where you want me and you won't let me go
                          If my heart was made of glass well then you'd surely see
                          How much heartache and misery, girl, you've been causing me

While I've been trying to do my best
                          You know I've tried to do my best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Y98...eature=related
                          Last edited by Menehune Man; February 10, 2008, 09:08 PM.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                            that audition really made me cry!
                            Woo-hoo! Another "American Idol" fan on HT that I have been sending PM's to!

"E O Mai" by Keali'i Reichel, the slow songs on Iz's latest "Wonderful World," and Raiatea Helm's version of "'Ei Nei."
                            'Alika

Comment

"Fergalicious" by fergie and "Holla Back Girl" by gwen Stefani are 2 songs that make me cry....because they're so painfully bad.

I think, "geez, people are buying THIS ?" and I burst into tears.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X