Lava Flow...hmmm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lava Flow...hmmm...

you know the observation deck (Jagger Museum) is officially closed off to the public so viewing of the crater is limited to the Volcano House area
    yes, i was naively hoping that it would open up again during our visit but it didn't happen and she blew again the night we left so they were right to keep it closed.

we went to volcano house and saw the gas pouring out of the vent at halemaumau and drove to the end of chain of craters road and saw more steam far off in the distance where i guess the lava is flowing into the sea. the weather was dismal at kmc and around the caldera although it was lovely down near the coast.

the air was very clear when we were there but i see how much the plume coming out of halemaumau has grown since we left so i just hope they dont have to close down the park.

with the wet weather, i didn't want to risk hiking in to the lava viewing area and someone falling and hurting themselves so we didn't try.

hubby and the kids weren't really into it - they complained that it was cold and wet and didn't like the food at any of the restaurants that i took them to (all the ones i ALWAYS go to on my trips to the big island!) for my boys, the best part of the trip was the video game arcade at kmc. there were a lot of school groups staying there so the arcade was always packed. i hope they grow to appreciate the effort later but i think they would have been just as happy, if not happier to have stayed home on o'ahu and played their x-box all weekend.

one highlight they did mention was the steam vents - they liked to stand in the steam because it was warm. i guess that's something.
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

The steam vents were always the best to me because you can actually get right up there and feel it.

But you're right about the food, not too many places that can be considered fantastic here. Even Ken's in town isn't the best food I've ever tasted. I guess coming from Oahu it's easy to get spoiled with all the good eats. BUT we do have an active volcano so I guess that'll suffice.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

And remember the Merry Monarch festival begins March 30th so if you're planning on coming over around that time, hotel rooms and rental cars WILL BE NON-EXISTANT so book now!!! If you're not too late already.

Yes I heard about the Merry Monarch festival. And it's no wonder that car rentals are so HIGH. But we're doing it. We're going to see what we can see. A photographer friend sent me some pictures from the lava hitting the ocean and they're AMAZING! Between all of the comments on this thread and the photos that we've seen, we've decided that if we're going all the way to Hawaii and the lava is flowing we may as well venture over to the Big Island. Got lucky enough to get room reservations for next week as well, so here we go...we have our sunscreen, umbrellas and flashlights ready.
        NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Working...
        X