Amazing contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing contract

A friend sent me this link and it's... amazing.
    It's the contract rider for Amy Winehouse, and it's a fascinating insight into that level of the music biz. The rider includes equipment requirements, backstage setup including food and drinks, lighting and sound requirements, staging, marketing and merchandising requirements, and a lot more. Some things will make you laugh ("no styrofoam cups backstage; they're bad for the planet"... and the parts about which people are legally required to stay sober), the equipment specs will be interesting to gearheads and musicians (including which gear they refuse to use), the business parts will appeal to those folks, and the logistics of it all are just mind boggling.
    It's a 42-page PDF. Don't wimp out in the middle, where there's a couple pages of contact info, because it gets good again, all the way to the end.
    I'm curious to hear your comments on it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Amazing contract

Can't wait to read it but it's time to check my eyelids for holes. You can find other backstage riders here.

Comment

I've toured wtih bands that put tube socks, Sharpees, batteries, duct tape and all manner of other indispensables in their rider. I was always happy with free beer and food. A monitor sound check at every show would have been nice, too. But an indie band with no label support doesn't get a rider.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
        I've toured wtih bands that put tube socks, Sharpees, batteries, duct tape and all manner of other indispensables in their rider. I was always happy with free beer and food. A monitor sound check at every show would have been nice, too. But an indie band with no label support doesn't get a rider.
        You mean, like, you couldn't get the green M&Ms that Van Halen wanted removed from their candy dish, even if you wanted them?
        '
        And by the way, kiddo, I knew about the 70 stitches. Thank gawd for Bactine, yeah?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

When I was doing concert production back in the 1980s, our team used to laugh about the two extremes we had dealt with. On the one side: Barry Manilow (multiple pages of items included three floors of a hotel - one for his entourage, plus the floor above and below were to be kept empty for the sake of quiet - and the floor they were on had to be painted all white; the halls, the rooms, the doors, plus white carpet, white furniture and a white grand piano in Manilow's suite). On the other side: Leo Kottke (only two requests - some food backstage, and a wooden stool of a specific height on stage).

But damn - they could both put on a hell of a show, even in a little midwestern burb. While Manilow wouldn't hang with any of the backstage gang, Kottke would go out with us and even be willing to go hear local talent in a folk club.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            You mean, like, you couldn't get the green M&Ms that Van Halen wanted removed from their candy dish, even if you wanted them?
            I think it wasn't just a candy dish: I think it was something like five pounds of M&Ms with the tans and browns taken out! At the time, of course, the tans and browns made up more than half the distribution. I liked them better back then. They're too colorful now.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              A friend sent me this link and it's... amazing.
              It's the contract rider for Amy Winehouse, and it's a fascinating insight into that level of the music biz.
              Yes, it's amazing what "talent" demands. We recently did an event with Tyrese and he wanted candles, a dozen roses, and like Winehouse, tons of towels.
              NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

I ask for Diet Coke and bottled water.

Occasionally, just for fun, I will throw in random items. For example, 5 lb. bag of brown rice or a computer mouse.

I can definitely use those items, just that they are not a necessity at the show.

Perhaps comedians are just lower maintenance creatures. I hear that Brian Regan's rider asks for just a bottle of peach schnapps, a pack of gum and a sharpie.

Comment

Actually, for a production this big it doesn't seem too outlandish.

The kraft service requests are reasonable and not too unhealthy except for the cigarettes.

And the audio equipment listing is equally interesting. I got a couple mics in that class and I'm not much of a fan of Sampson gear, either.

Interesting stuff. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    And the audio equipment listing is equally interesting. I got a couple mics in that class and I'm not much of a fan of Sampson gear, either. Interesting stuff. Thanks!
                    Yeah, those were the parts that interested me too, along with the staging and lighting and monitor and mixer board requirements, etc.
                    The dressing room stuff is mere fluff.
                    Some day when there's spare time, it'll be interesting to look at other folks requirements in the link that TutuSue provided in post #2. Thanks, Tutu!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X