Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In "Manic Monday," why are the Bangles wishing it were Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In "Manic Monday," why are the Bangles wishing it were Sunday?

t would be more logical to wish it had been Tuesday instead, 'cause it would be about another week before it's Monday again. Had it been Sunday, Monday would be right back.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: In "Manic Monday," why are the Bangles wishing it were Sunday?

Guess they wished that Sunday would just keep on repeating itself?
    You know kinda like the movie "Groundhog Day".
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Listen to the words, man. They wish it were Sunday because "that's my fun day."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well it isn't really the Bangles' wish, as Prince wrote the song. Maybe someone ought to ask him why he wished for Sunday instead of maybe Friday.... and if it was Friday, the Bangles or Prince would have 2 days worth of fun instead of just 1.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

You don't know that. Maybe Saturday sucks for them, for whatever reason. You've got to stay exegetical about these things and limit yourself to arguments that can be supported by the text, in this case the lyrics.

The song says Sunday is the person's fun day, not Saturday or Friday. Also, you must be careful not to confuse songwriter or singer with persona. Freddie Mercury, for example, did not put a gun against a man's head, then pull the trigger (now he's dead). That was the "I" in the song.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

"Back to work" Monday's, such as tomorrow, are typically a moody, grouchy day for me. It comes too quickly after that joyous "Aloha Friday".

Lyrically, I think Sunday (Sonday) rhymes the best with Monday (Munday). Simple as that.

Now if we can only figure out what the heck "Walk Like an Egyptian" is all about.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Listen to the words, man. They wish it were Sunday because "that's my fun day."
              It's also their "I don't have to run day."

Comment

She wishes it was Sunday because of what "went down" the night before and she's rushing to get to work.
                All of the nights
                Why did my lover have to pick last night
                To get down
                Doesn't it matter
                That I have to feed the both of us
                Employment's down

He tells me in his bedroom voice
                C'mon honey, let's go make some noise
                Time it goes so fast
                When you're having fun
                If it was Sunday she could sleep in
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  Now if we can only figure out what the heck "Walk Like an Egyptian" is all about.
                  I love that song. The girls, we used to all go around walking like Egyptians
                  NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    Lyrically, I think Sunday (Sonday) rhymes the best with Monday (Munday). Simple as that.
                    And "that's my Fun Day."

I do that sometimes, read too much into a song.

Comment

If I was Susanna Hoff's boyfriend in the song, I'd wish it was still Sunday. Making some noise - Yes! Too bad she gotta go work on Monday to help support his unemployed lazy ass.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        You don't know that. Maybe Saturday sucks for them, for whatever reason. You've got to stay exegetical about these things and limit yourself to arguments that can be supported by the text, in this case the lyrics.

The song says Sunday is the person's fun day, not Saturday or Friday. Also, you must be careful not to confuse songwriter or singer with persona. Freddie Mercury, for example, did not put a gun against a man's head, then pull the trigger (now he's dead). That was the "I" in the song.
                        between posts like this, your beer preferences, and your charmingly shameless pervings on carole kai (which i don't understand) and giada (which i do understand), i'm utterly convinced that if i were still single, i would soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo date you.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                          If I was Susanna Hoff's boyfriend in the song, I'd wish it was still Sunday. Making some noise - Yes! Too bad she gotta go work on Monday to help support his unemployed lazy ass.
                          Seriously! Let's break this down

a) He's banging Susanna Hoff
                          b) He can talk her into doing it when she doesn't really want to
                          c) She's supporting him

My only questions is; How do I get this position?????
                          "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                          Socrates.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
                            a) He's banging Susanna Hoff(s)
                            "Bangling," not "banging." Let's be accurate here, people.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              "Bangling," not "banging." Let's be accurate here, people.
                              Damn, I had such a crush on her in the 80's and I can't even spell her name right
                              "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
                              Socrates.

Comment

Working...
                              X