Buying a car on the mainland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a car on the mainland?

Has anyone here had experience with buying a new car on the mainland to ship to Honolulu? I've been looking around for a couple weeks and the prices here, even with the "paradise tax" are extremely high. Was talking to a dealer in Long Beach and he gave me a price on a 2008 Acura TL that was $4k less than the price quoted here. Even figuring in shipping, I'd be saving north of $2k.

Is there a catch to this? A reason why people don't do this more often?

Re: Buying a car on the mainland?

The catch is the Hawaii State User tax that most have no idea exists and have never paid. It's not just for cars, it's for anything you buy outside of the state and have it shipped in for your personal use. Just don't get caught.

Comment

Years ago I remember several friends buying cars in Oregon (I think!) and shipping them to Hawaii because the prices were lower and there was no sales tax. I don't remember a Hawaii State Users Tax. It sounds almost like a domestic customs! Does it apply to purchases bought from another state, over the internet? DRE, do you have a link?

Comment

Kokua Line has it covered:

http://starbulletin.com/2003/04/20/news/kokualine.html

Comment

Thanks, Tiabla. I was searching under Hawaii State User Tax which wasn't turning up anything pertinent. Here's another link. What about internet purchases?

Comment

However you end up getting your TL, enjoy it. I just just turned in a Mercedes E class for an '08 TL, and call it my James Bond car. It's the first car that I've have with navigation too. Kind of like a cell phone. Once you have it, you can't imagine being without it. Actually sometimes it'd be nice not to have a cell.
            NO RAIN NO RAINBOWS

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
              The catch is the Hawaii State User tax that most have no idea exists and have never paid.
              Which could make it problematic if your car needs specific parts/servicing that only dealers can provide, and the local dealerships take a dim view of your purchasing a car from an out-of-state source.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 3, 2008, 11:39 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Have you considered buying thru Costco?
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X