X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 52nd Grammy Awards - Hawaiian Music nominees

Daniel Ho's comments on the matter:
    Aloha,

Recent attempts to sway public opinion against me and my record company through the spread of distorted misinformation require clarification. The allegations included accusations that I, Daniel Ho, declined permission for the two nominated albums on the Daniel Ho Creations label to be streamed on Grammy.com for voting members to consult.

Academy rules stipulate that BOTH recording and publishing rights for all tracks on all nominated albums in a category must be cleared, otherwise none of the nominated albums in that category would be streamed, in order to ensure fairness. The allegations further identified a staffmember at the NARAS office as the source of information regarding denied permissions.

In a meeting this afternoon with high-ranking NARAS officials, the following facts were established around the nominations in this year’s Hawaiian music category.

1. Daniel Ho Creations cleared the recording rights of BOTH of its nominated CDs, “He Nani” (Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho) and “Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Vol. II” (Various Artists). Daniel Ho Creations also cleared all of the publishing rights for the album “He Nani.”

It was the publishing rights--held by other music publishers, NOT Daniel Ho Creations--for several tracks on “Masters” that could not be secured within the timeframe NARAS required, thus resulting in none of the nominated Hawaiian albums being available for streaming on Grammy.com for voting members.

2. On review of evidence of the negative allegations being made, the position of NARAS is that information provided by staffmember Ms. Joanna Chu was “misconstrued and misquoted.” NARAS’s Director of Business Affairs, Ms. Anne Meckelborg, may be contacted at 310-581-8644 should additional information be necessary.

3. NARAS Vice President of Awards Mr. Bill Freimuth acknowledged his awareness of my presence in the music industry, and said that the Recording Academy will vouch that all of my efforts to promote my label’s products among voting members are completely within Academy rules and guidelines.

Daniel Ho
    This is rare, in that Daniel usually avoids commenting on these issues, preferring to stay out of the fray and let the music speak for him. I applaud him for coming forward on this, and hope there is no further pilikea.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      [...]
      This is rare, in that Daniel usually avoids commenting on these issues, preferring to stay out of the fray and let the music speak for him. I applaud him for coming forward on this, and hope there is no further pilikea.
      There must've been one heckuva lot of backlash for him to comment...more than what was posted on Facebook.

Comment

Eric says that he and Amy will be performing a song with Jamie Foxx on the Grammy broadcast this coming Sunday night.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Eric says that he and Amy will be performing a song with Jamie Foxx on the Grammy broadcast this coming Sunday night.
          That friendship goes way back. Now to clear room on the DVR!

Comment

On the broadcast? Hawaiian artists?!? At last - long overdue!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              That friendship goes way back. Now to clear room on the DVR!
              Indeed. It'll be interesting to watch. I doubt that anyone thinks Jamie Foxx will perform a Hawaiian song, and I expect that Eric and Amy will be there as unintroduced backup singers, so there won't be any big benefit for Hawaiian music, but it'll still be fun to see 'em!

EDIT:
              This media release from today:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
              Media Advisory
              28 January 2010

Media Contact:
              Pae 'Aina Communications

Los Angeles, CA - Hawai'i's highest selling female vocalist of all time and four time Grammy nominee, Amy Hanaiali'i and her multi-talented brother Eric Gilliom will have a unique opportunity to showcase their talents on live television at this year's 52nd Annual Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles on Sunday.
              The brother and sister duo will perform with longtime friend Jamie Foxx during his allotted time slot during the awards show. "Without giving too much away, we will be part of Jaime's rendition of one his hits from 2009," Hanaiali'i said excitedly.
              The 52nd Annual Grammy Awards will be aired on CBS on Sunday, January 31, 2010. Hanaiali'i is also nominated for a Grammy in the Best Hawaiian Music category for her latest album: Amy Hanaiali'i Friends & Family of Hawai'i.
              Last edited by LikaNui; January 28, 2010, 05:01 PM. Reason: Added the press release

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Indeed. It'll be interesting to watch. I doubt that anyone thinks Jamie Foxx will perform a Hawaiian song, and I expect that Eric and Amy will be there as unintroduced backup singers, so there won't be any big benefit for Hawaiian music, but it'll still be fun to see 'em![...]
                Both Amy and Eric excel in genres other than Hawaiian. Amy's "Cry Me a River" comes to mind. Eric is just so multi-talented it's almost surreal...no, not suereel...but surreal. (inside joke!). Knowing both Gillioms' relationship to Foxx I will hope that Amy and Eric are featured just a bit and not just backups...and NOT unintroduced.

Comment

A couple of hours ago Amy wrote:

Eric and I are very excited. We're at a fitting for our "period" pieces which we'll use to open Jamie Foxx's "Blame it on the Alcohol". We open the song - and although it's not an extremely lengthy spot we are thankful to be afforded the opportunity!...!!!!!! Aloha from Los Angeles!

Comment

Eric described the plan late yesterday. If you want to be surprised, don't read this spoiler:

Jamie is going to Parody the opening of his hit single BLAME IT, it will open with me dressed as a Roman Spartan and Amy as Mother Nature singing the opening lines in operatic voices, then the tune drops..... so funny, we laughed hysterically at the fitting today.

Comment

The Hawaiian Music winner has been announced. If you want to know, go to this link and scroll down.
                      Many may want to watch the main program live tonight, and since the winner will be announced there too (in a screen scroll), we probably shouldn't discuss the Hawaii winner until tomorrow, unless we use the Spoiler function.

Comment

I'm happy with the winner in the bluegrass category, 'though that wouldn't have been my choice. It's still definitely a worthy recipient.

I think during the Foxx performance, Eric should start yelling, "I'ma let you finish, Jamie, but Amy recorded one of the best albums of all time! Of all time!"
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bwaaahahahahaha! GREAT one, Scriv!!!
                          Everyone can read that Spoiler of yours -- it doesn't give anything away; it was just a fantastic suggestion.
                          I'm curious if Kanye will be at the Grammy show and, if so, how he'll be received.
                          The twerp.

Comment

Hmmm. Is this really a "close your eyes" kind of topic? The Advertiser sure isn't treating it like one, with the name of the winner already proclaimed in a headline at the very top of their online edition.

Whatever. If you don't want to know the identity of the winner just yet, be sure to avoid looking at the Advertiser website.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

With the exception of "the big four," all the categories in which I voted have had their winners announced by now. I had about a 23% "success" rate in picking the winners - once again, doing best in Classical.

I will toss in a semi-spoiler here, however: Jake Shimabukuro plays on an album that took home a Grammy this year.
                              Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 31, 2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                [...]
                                Whatever. If you don't want to know the identity of the winner just yet, be sure to avoid looking at the Advertiser website.
                                Better yet, keep both the tv and the computer...OFF!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X