New Music: 2009 Releases!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Music: 2009 Releases!

I don't know how you all felt about the 2008 thread, but I loved it, and it was really helpful at the end of the year when it was time for me to make my best-of list.

So let's do it again. Scheduled to put out new stuff this year (and of interest to me) are U2, Beastie Boys, Alice in Chains, Cyprus Hill, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Ratt, and Stone Temple Pilots. Don't know if Bruce Cockburn's got something in the works, but he's about due!

Just a reminder to keep it (in this thread) limited to music released during this calendar year.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: New Music: 2009 Releases!

I'm not quite finished with the 2008 thread, but I liked it just as much as anyone. I have not bought anything "new" with 2009 imprinted on it.... but then we're only on the 3rd day of the new year. One thing I notice is that CD sections at BestBuy, Border's and WalMart seem to be shrinking.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

There are a few things from 2008 that I'm still hoping to get, so I'm not quite done with that one either! Here's to a good year in music in 2009, though.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Releases were kind of slow to trickle out this first quarter of 2009, so only now do I really have enough to bump this thread.

CDs:
        • ... And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, The Century of Self So far my favorite release of 2009.
        • Antony & the Johnsons, The Crying Light Doesn't stay with me as well as I Am a Bird Now
        • detroit7, detroit7 Compiled from two different EPs, and it sounds like it.
        • MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS, World Is Yours Not as diverse as the band's debut mini-album from last year
        • mono, Hymn to the Immortal Wind mono albums are getting a bit predictable, but the larger orchestra seems to work on this one.
        • Morrissey, Years of Refusal This album sounds a lot harder than Ringleader of the Tormentors
        • U2, No Line on the Horizon I like the new sound of this album. I just wish the band wrote songs to go with it.

MP3
        • The Bad Plus joined by Wendy Lewis, For All I Care I played this for the first time yesterday, and hot damn!
        • Tommy Keene, In the Late Bright Feels a lot more ambitious than 2006's Crashing the Ether
        • Office, Mecca I can't believe this album is free -- it's my second favorite of 2009 so far.

Comment

The tentative release date is June, hopefully of this year, but Neil Young's long awaited Archives box set will be out. This will be released as a CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray box set, and while I don't have Blu-Ray yet, it would be a great reason to buy a player.

I also want the Mono box set coming out on 09/09/09 by The Beatles.

The new album by The Roots is due out in June as well.

Comment

For prog-rock fans, the domestic release of Keith Emerson Band should appeal to you. This is the closest thing to the old E-L-P sound that Emerson has done in a very long time. He's teamed up with guitarist/vocalist Marc Bonilla (last year, I heard some of Bonilla's work with Full Circle, a band featuring Chicago's original drummer, Danny Seraphine); the drummer is Gregg Bissonette, and on bass is Bob Birch (though the touring band features two other players in the rhythm section). Emerson's keyboard work throughout has that old classical influence from the '70s, but this is the first time in a while that it's sounded like he's having fun again.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              ...the drummer is Gregg Bissonette...
              Aaah. I love Gregg. That guy pops up everywhere. His stuff with Ty Tabor (and brother Matt Bissonette) in Jughead was killer, and I've got his solo album, Submarine. Will have to check this one out!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Will have to check this one out!
                Yes - and I never thanked you for the lead on Asia's latest disc - as you noted, very much in the style of their first albums.

Comment

Picked up the soundtrack for the Star Trek movie from iTunes late last night.

Comment

The new album by Black Moth Super Rainbow comes out in two weeks, had a chance to listen to it last week and it is really good, definitely something for fans of The Flaming Lips (whom they opened up for in the last few years).

Fans of funk will also love the new one by Georgia Anne Muldrow, my review of which can be found here:
                    http://www.okayplayer.com/reviews/ma...-200905047933/

It's available through iTunes now, then CD in two weeks. I guess she's coming out with two or three more albums this year.

If you're a fan of stoner metal and just all out heaviness, Elder and Cough are coming out with new albums soon:
                    http://www.electric-earth.com/

Lots of great stuff coming up.

Comment

I'm not sure if these were 2009 releases, but they might be. I recently downloaded Animal Collective's "Merriweather Post Pavillion". It's had great critical acclaim, but sounded weak at first. After several repeat listenings, I think I'm starting to uncover what the commotion is all about. Also got Paul McCartney's "Firemen". It's another that recieved pretty solid acclaim. It's likeable enough right away, but I've only listened to it once so far. Last is King's of Leon's most recent. Haven't heard it yet, but their first one was classic so I have high hopes.

Comment

Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton @ MSG

A 2 CD release from the recent shows reviving the Blind Faith era tunes and some basic blues numbers that show Eric and Stevie in fine guitar shape. Eric as usual tends to go on during his solos, but is overall focused and gives the songs some real zest.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton @ MSG

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          A 2 CD release from the recent shows reviving the Blind Faith era tunes and some basic blues numbers that show Eric and Stevie in fine guitar shape. Eric as usual tends to go on during his solos, but is overall focused and gives the songs some real zest.
                          There's a DVD counterpart for this, and I didn't know they were doing the Blind Faith stuff too. That's incredible.

Comment

Thanx for that info! I shoulda figured...
                            I see the CD has 1 song more than the DVD, Low Down.
                            They also do some Traffic material, and some Hendrix.
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 27, 2009, 03:17 PM.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

CDs:
                              • Bob Mould, Life and Times A lot harder than last years's District Line. Very brisk at 35 minutes.
                              • Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest I think I need some time with this one. Still prefer Department of Eagles' In Ear Park.
                              • Kronos Quartet, Floodplain Kronos has always seemed drawn to the music of Central Asia and the Middle East. Great performances, but I think David Harrington ought to let someone else take the production reigns for these kinds of collections.
                              • Utada, This Is the One This album suffers the exact opposite of Utada's 2004 English-language debut -- it's under-produced, which is a shame because her writing has vastly matured since 2006.

MP3s:
                              • BoA, BoA This English-language debut by Korean J-Pop singer BoA is heavy on the AutoTune and loud as hell.
                              • Gentleman Reg, Jet Black Solid indie songwriting, although Reg's voice can be something of an acquired taste.
                              • Royal Wood, The Lost and Found EP I downloaded this one because the guy knows how to work a suit, but his songs are really good. Heavy on the piano and strings, perfect for Rufus Wainwright fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X