Merrie Monarch 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrie Monarch 2009

We are trying to find a good package deal air, tickets and hotel for the 09' Merrie Monarch festival. Anyone have any information on travel agencies we could contact????? I'm not having much luck finding information here on Kauai. I called Hilo Seaside and they said they don't even take reservations till Dec. 09'

We don't care where we stay as long as we can get to the Festival; Seaside said most hotels have shuttles, so we don't have to rent a car.

Any information would he helpful...Mahalo
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Merrie Monarch 2009

Originally posted by greentara View Post
    We are trying to find a good package deal air, tickets and hotel for the 09' Merrie Monarch festival. Anyone have any information on travel agencies we could contact????? I'm not having much luck finding information here on Kauai. I called Hilo Seaside and they said they don't even take reservations till Dec. 09'

We don't care where we stay as long as we can get to the Festival; Seaside said most hotels have shuttles, so we don't have to rent a car.

Any information would he helpful...Mahalo
    December 08, you mean?

I usually don't even deal with Hilo hotels during MM season. I stayed at the Kilauea Military Camp last time I went. Sure, it's a drive, but I really enjoyed it there. I know Halau Na Mamo O Pu'uanahulu stays there during competition years, and you'd need someone in the military to sponsor you, but it doesn't hurt to check it out.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Please click on this link for Hilo Hotels & B&B's

I can also get a you a list of Hilo-area vacation rentals if you need it.

Comment

For more independent, but also more chaotic, notes on Hilo accommodations, there's always TripAdvisor. Hilo Hotels and Hilo B&Bs and Inns.

Odd that you couldn't get a reservation at a "major" hotel this far out... the Merrie Monarch is one of those events that I expect plenty of people book way in advance. The vacation rentals we stay in when visiting the Hilo side (albeit not for the Merrie Monarch festival) definitely let us book a year out... provided we make periodic contact to remind them!

I'm definitely a fan of private vacation rentals over hotels, inns, and traditional B&Bs.

Have you tried calling the larger travel agencies? They'd likely have a package or know someone who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
          December 08, you mean?

I usually don't even deal with Hilo hotels during MM season. I stayed at the Kilauea Military Camp last time I went. Sure, it's a drive, but I really enjoyed it there. I know Halau Na Mamo O Pu'uanahulu stays there during competition years, and you'd need someone in the military to sponsor you, but it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Yup, Dec 08' getting a little ahead of myself... Don't know anyone in the Military and we didn't want to rent a car so we were looking for some place close. Hilo Seaside said they had shuttles. I'll talk to my friends it would be really cool to stay at the military camp they may know of someone in the military. If we can save money on accommodations we may be able to rent a car.
          "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            For more independent, but also more chaotic, notes on Hilo accommodations, there's always TripAdvisor. Hilo Hotels and Hilo B&Bs and Inns.

Odd that you couldn't get a reservation at a "major" hotel this far out... the Merrie Monarch is one of those events that I expect plenty of people book way in advance. The vacation rentals we stay in when visiting the Hilo side (albeit not for the Merrie Monarch festival) definitely let us book a year out... provided we make periodic contact to remind them!

I'm definitely a fan of private vacation rentals over hotels, inns, and traditional B&Bs.

Have you tried calling the larger travel agencies? They'd likely have a package or know someone who does.
            I called Mokihana (sp?) Travel last week and they said they did not have package deals that included tickets but they could help us out on airfare and hotel. We all live on Kauai we will be there only for the "dance" so we don't really care that much about where we will be staying. All we need is a bed and a shower. I was kind of surprised that Hilo Seaside did not take reservations for MM this far in advance. I called them because of their ads on TV ~ they said they had Kama'aina rates so we thought we would start with them.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandTrust View Post
              Please click on this link for Hilo Hotels & B&B's

I can also get a you a list of Hilo-area vacation rentals if you need it.
              Thanks if you could e-mail me the list that would be great.

Comment

We were looking at the seating chart and it looks like the reserved seats are not as good as the non-reserved seats. Anyone have any ideas as to what seats are good????

Comment

We have tried 3 years in a row to get tickets to the MM. It's tough. You have to mail in your request right after Thanksgiving or Christmas or sumfin ladat. First come, first served. (supposedly )

We also have a condo in Hilo. Price fluctuates based on availablity and demand. MM is peak season and rooms are hard to come by in Hilo town. You should expect to pay an arm, and a leg, and a first born child.

The part that bums me out is when you see it on TV, looks like there is lots of empty seats.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post

We also have a condo in Hilo. Price fluctuates based on availablity and demand. MM is peak season and rooms are hard to come by in Hilo town. You should expect to pay an arm, and a leg, and a first born child.
                    First born child? LOL That was funny!
                    A proud sponsor of
                    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

I've been looking at flights and we are going to book today ~ they are filling up fast. The only thing that's kind of a bummer is we can't get our tickets, (for MM) until Dec. 26th, and it's mail in request. So if we mail in our request on Dec. 26th and don't get the tickets we are stuck with the airline tickets! Tim, you said you have been trying to get tickets for three years, did you get your request in right after Dec?

Comment

Yes, we send in our request on Dec 26 each year.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

All I can say is... GOOD LUCK!

They get THOUSANDS of requests for very limited seats. It's definitely a case of who you know... I only get my tickets through a hook up - I don't know how anyone else gets theirs - you gotta use ALL your resources.
                          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

I just wanted to say don't give up on the hotel becuase they will be releasing in Feb/Mar. I know that the Naniloa did not complete the renovation and still have some room that were not renovated and they may release it. I like the non renovated room better than the renovated rooms. as for the tickets, you may still be able to get in cause last year we stood outside the stadium during stage practice and we were able to purchase 5 sets of tickets at the original prices.

Comment

hold on, if I may get extra tickets, I will keep you in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X