Polynesian/Tribal Tattoos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Polynesian/Tribal Tattoos

I highly recommend Taniera tattoo on Moorea. He gave me the gift of a Marqesan cross and helped me design a classy and relevant tattoo.

Comment

by pupule haole

I know that this is going to come as a shocker for some of you, but I have to agree that getting a Hawaiian Tattoo without having some sort of appropriate tie to it would be inappropriate.
      Definately a shock to me . Jus joking bra .

As far as polynesian tatto's, one should definately do their homework before getting one. Most have some kind of family, religious, gender or other significant meaning/reason behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by haole_pupule
        Just to clarify: The last comment was in reference to HIC gear. I went to Dukes last weekend showing some people around from the mainland, and this guy had on an HIC rash guard sitting at the bar.
        What is "an HIC rash guard"?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
          What is "an HIC rash guard"?
          Something you wear when you surf, in this case with a Hawaiian Island Creations logo on it.

Normally, you take off the rash guard when you're done surfing.

Comment

I figured it was something you wear when surfing. I guess it's one of those lightweight shirt-things, with long sleeves? My husband gave me one once, for keeping the sun off while playing in the water. I couldn't wait to get the thing off when I was out of the water.

Sorry for the drift. As you were, folks!
            Last edited by MadAzza; May 20, 2006, 05:55 PM. Reason: apology

Comment

Yeah at first glance I thought it was some kind of underwear to protect from some kind of communicatable disease (HIC as opposed to HIV)

Well it's just as insane as those who wear expensive basketball shoes and walk all over the place including gravel roads, asphalt roads etc and wear the heck out of that sole just to be hip.

And what about Basketball jerseys with specific numbers and famous basketball player names on them? Like you're gonna fool somebody that you're Dennis Rodman?

In this world to be individualistic, some people seem to try really hard to be someone else.

That's why I gotta shake my head when I see someone who couldn't defend himself if he had to, sporting a warrior band tatoo on his arm. Or the gal with a Kanji "respect" tatoo on her butt crack. Yeah real cute.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                They're very popular. But I wouldn't get one, just like I wouldn't give my (non-Hawaiian) child a Hawaiian name. If you're a haole guy, why not reach back into your own ethnic past? The ancient Europeans had tattoos, too. Do a Celtic knot, or get Viking runes scrawled up your arm, instead.
                I have that kind of background.. something about it bothers me though. (Atlthough admittedly, there are some damn cool tattoo designs coming out of the Celtics/Scandinavian countries).

Having Irish-American roots.. and meeting Irish-Irish who hear Irish-American identifying with Ireland.. when they don't have a modern connection there anymore.. and the two cultures are separate - Kennedys and such for Irish-American.. totally different from Ireland. Irish find it bizarre when Irish-Americans get obsessed about days of pre-christianity Ireland. Actually I find it bizarre too. Its usually some Dungeons-and-Dragons seemingly borderline slight white pride thing potentially going on that rubs me the wrong way.

Well, I guess this is why I've never had a tattoo from anywhere! Even today I have absolutely no idea what tattoo I'd get - it seems to box one in too much.

Comment

I spoke with a great Tattoo artist that I work with that is a Hawaiian guy that does various Polynesian/ Micronesian styles of tattoos. He said that as long as it's not a personal family oriented one and it truly has some meaning to the wearer, it's cool. And I agree with that.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                    I spoke with a great Tattoo artist that I work with that is a Hawaiian guy that does various Polynesian/ Micronesian styles of tattoos. He said that as long as it's not a personal family oriented one and it truly has some meaning to the wearer, it's cool. And I agree with that.
                    Are you talking about the same guy who gave me my tattoo? Btw it's Marquesas design not Micronesian. He did a good job too, and mines has a small meaning too it. Since I've been employed at the Museum I got to meet a lot of famous Polynesian Tattoo Artist.
                    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I have 3 tattoos and more to come... for alot of ppl that are into tattoos you'll find that they dont do it for the shock value most have a reason or a cause for getting a tattoo... some to help heal, some to memorialize, some to mark a new path in life, some for the spirtuality,some it symbolizes something/someone, for others a experience that touched them in some way.

Of course there are those that fall to the wrong crowd and are marked as gang/prison/criminal.... but those are also stories tho not the most positive ones

every tattoo I have has a story. next time you have a friend over that has a tattoo ask them "is there a story behind your tattoo". Im willing to bet there is. I will be getting my fourth tattoo soon and it will be of a Pheonix (very Japanese)to symbolize starting a new life out of one that was virtually destroyed. am I japanese... No but I respect the symbolism behind it.

should a non-hawaiian have a hawaiian tattoo? what is is symbolisticly? family symbols that arent your family that would be like writing a japanese/mexican/irish/german family name scripted on yourself...pretty dang dumb....other sacred symbols... belive me only the most unscrupulous artists would break tabu. word would spread in the community and the artist would be in a sense outcast.
                      Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue.
                        I appreciate it!

Comment

maybe some would disagree with this, but my maori tattoo means more to me than any of my others, and I'm as white as they come. A very very close friend of mine from new zealand, who was maori, died after suffering a broken neck in a rugby match last easter. In remembrance, i got a roimata tattood on me, with a koru inside. A roimata is in the shape of a teardrop and symbolizes mourning, and the koru is a spiral, and symbolizes new beginnings, as it represents an unfurling fern frond. Mourning for the loss of my friend, and new beginnings for both of us. Me here, and him in heaven. I think if it really means something to you, you can get any tattoo you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                            If you want to restrict people to using traditional tattoo equipment, you should also restrict them to authentic Hawaiian tattoos.

Not Samoan, not Tongan, not Maori. Hawaiian.

Those arm bands that everyone and their brother likes to get? NOT authentic.

Keoni Nunes does traditional tattoos, but when a Jewish haole and his friend from A&E's "Miami Ink" came out to film an episode, he worked on both of them. He also took the time to get to know them a little bit, and designed tattoos for each one that had individual meaning.

Burl wrote a good story on a book that came out almost 10 years ago... still got it on my bookshelf at home.
                            my nephew had keoni do a family tatoo from his ankle to his hip.

Comment

I saw a tv show where an American goes to live with a tribe (I forget where). He spents months with them and grew to love the village and the villagers grew to love him. They graciously allowed him to get a tattoo in a design unique to their tribe. I thought it was awesome.

If you feel that your ties to this culture are strong, go for it. Just don't be the dumbass who can't explain what your tattoo means. (Like the mainland people who get kanji tattoos who have no ties to Asia whatsoever.)

Another thing that gets me kinda mad is people who wear crucifixes or crosses as jewelry who aren't Christian. I was raised a Buddhist and we were not allowed to wear that type of jewelry because that symbolism does not belong to our system of belief.

Comment

I'm getting my new avatar tattooed onto my upper righthand (backside of) shoulder soon. The drawing stands just under 4" tall. Gonna be full color too!
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X