Where are you from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where are you from?

I grew up in small rural town 30 miles from where I stay now in Monroe, Louisiana. Physically Oak Ridge looked then like some of the small Plantation communities I saw on Kaua'i with the little churches and "down towns" with the little storefronts and on street diagonal parking. Back then cotton was king but now fields are filled with corn!

Monroe was called an armpit of a place by Robert Kekaula once to my face when I met some of the UH press folks at the local hotel bar where they were hold up prior to game day in Ruston in '05! That might be accurate but still stung a bunch! Most visitors here are making an overnight stop-over traveling between Dallas and Atlanta on Interstate 20. Most destination visits are for business or visiting relatives.

Comment

Born in Chicago, lived there and in the Northwest suburbs until I was 11. Family relocated to Ft. Wright Kentucky, just across the Ohio river from Cincinnati (Skyline Chili...drooool). At 16 moved to Lake Worth, Florida (home of the newlywed & nearly dead). Finished college and came to Honolulu to visit my brother and his wife.

That was 26 years, a business, a wife, 3 boys, and a dog ago.

The past 8 years have been in Ewa Beach. Love living there. Great neighbors. Lousy traffic.

Comment

This thread continues to bring back posters we've not heard from in a while. Welcome back, FJ. Maybe we need to change the thread from "Where are you from" to "Where have you been"?

Comment

Sacremento, CA. Then moved to Texas. Lived many other places. Spent most of my time in Dallas, Texas. Spent first time in Honolulu in April this year.

Found people on the island the friendliest, courteous of almost anywhere I've been.

Even though Texas is my home, found Hawaiians to be very excellent people. Hope to come back some time.

Comment

Born in Oklahoma, various towns, moved to Oahu in 79 thru 82. It ruined me. I've been back twice for about a week and fantasize near daily of returning there for good.
            If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Respite:

Born Stamford, CT.1947
              Moved to Greenwich, Ct. 1952
              Norwalk Ct. 1967
              Ft. Basic Training 1967 NJ
              Ft. Lewis, MO., 1967 AIT Engineers
              Vietnam 1968
              Ft. Benning, GA., 1969
              Stamford Ct. 1969-1970
              Greenwich, CT till 1971
              Middletown Ct till 1972
              Glastonbury Ct till 1974
              Gardenerville, NV, till 1975
              Salt Lake City, Ut till 1976
              Davis California till 1980
              Kailua, HI till 1982
              Kahalu`u HI till present.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
              X