Breadfruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breadfruit

you could make a canoe with the lemai tree wood ... the trees that grow up tall and straight ... you shave it out and stuff its really light , foamy , and durable ... thats how micronesians made their boats ... when spanish people found the islands ... they thought the islanders could fly cuz their boats bounced off the water.
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo View Post
      They have Breadfruit in New York!?! I haven't had it since I left Hawaii!!
      Yes, they surely do.... go to Broklyn, Jamaica..... any of those areas with a high population of people from the caribbean Islands....

NY was where I first had Breadfruit.
      Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
      Mark Twain

Comment

ol days we use bread fruit to stretch out da poi

Comment

I love breadfruit. Uru in Tahiti. Cook it with coconut milk. Yum.
          If anybody finds a store here in Honolulu that has it, please let me know!
          n'importe

Comment

Any good recipes for green breadfruit? Someone gave me one and I am not sure what to do with it.

Comment

In the spirit of trying new things in our haole household, I found this thread and wanted to share our experience.

I bought a breadfruit at Tamura's last week (it was funny 'cause the register ladies could not figure out what it was or how much it cost.)

As researched on the Internet, I cut it up and boiled it in coconut milk with a little salt (did not peel). It was very tasty and quite breadlike in texture, so I could see how it could be used for starchy kine things.

Now I think next time I will fry it--do I need to coat it in anything?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                I

Now I think next time I will fry it--do I need to coat it in anything?
                Butter works well.

Comment

Once upon a time, we cut a breafruit (mai) into thin 2" round slivers and fried them oil and then salted them. It made passable potato chips. Hey, when you can't get potato chips, you get desperate.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

not sure how mom did it all up, but i remember her boiling it. probably with salt. but, i think it was peeled.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

We use a deli meat slicer to cut the ulu really thin. Fire up a gas stove, outside, and a big wok of hot oil. They're only about 1/32" thick so they fry up nice and crispy. Our Tokelau neighbors like their's a bit thicker (1/8"+) and more chewy. Still ono.

A tip when using a deli slicer, the ulu has a resin like sap and it will gum up the blade. Just apply a little veggie oil now and then. Veggie oil will also clean up the sticky goo as well.

Comment

I had some fried breadfruit... tasted like french fries.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          We use a deli meat slicer to cut the ulu really thin. Fire up a gas stove, outside, and a big wok of hot oil. They're only about 1/32" thick so they fry up nice and crispy. Our Tokelau neighbors like their's a bit thicker (1/8"+) and more chewy. Still ono.

A tip when using a deli slicer, the ulu has a resin like sap and it will gum up the blade. Just apply a little veggie oil now and then. Veggie oil will also clean up the sticky goo as well.
                          Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Once upon a time, we cut a breafruit (mai) into thin 2" round slivers and fried them oil and then salted them. It made passable potato chips. Hey, when you can't get potato chips, you get desperate.
                          Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                          Butter works well.
                          Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                          I had some fried breadfruit... tasted like french fries.
                          Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                          not sure how mom did it all up, but i remember her boiling it. probably with salt. but, i think it was peeled.
                          Thanks everyone!! Now I need to go find more breadfruit!

Comment

Did you ever find your ulu?

Just curious. If not Iʻd say try the Polynesian markets. They might have some there.

We just bake them. They taste like sweetbread when theyʻre baked until soft. Guess you could add butter to them but, why would you want to?

I wanna try baking it in coconut milk now. Next time I find some, Iʻm gonna try making some of the recipes you guys posted. Mmmmm...
                            I know you are but what am I?
                            --------------------------------------
                            I blog:
                            www.mamasdramas.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                            X