Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
anything with Billy Mays?
I agree about Billy Mays. I like to go to sleep with the television on, sound turned down soft, but when he comes on with his shouting infomercials, I wake up and have to turn the sound down even softer, or turn it off entirely.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I agree about Billy Mays. I like to go to sleep with the television on, sound turned down soft, but when he comes on with his shouting infomercials, I wake up and have to turn the sound down even softer, or turn it off entirely.
I don't think I've ever awakened to Billy Mays. Scary thought! By chance, does your tv remote have a sleep button?! I love that feature...can't be without it!
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
By chance, does your tv remote have a sleep button?! I love that feature...can't be without it!
If it does have that feature, I haven't found it yet. I remember a thread here about sleeping with the television on (I'm too lazy to try to find it). I wanted to participate in that thread, but I didn't. I think it was because I was just a lurker then and not a member, but I'm not sure.
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
If it does have that feature, I haven't found it yet. I remember a thread here about sleeping with the television on (I'm too lazy to try to find it). I wanted to participate in that thread, but I didn't. I think it was because I was just a lurker then and not a member, but I'm not sure.
I think most TVs of the past decade or so have sleep buttons. If you don't see an actual button marked "sleep" or "timer" on your remote then check the on-screen menu. Also, if you have an Oceanic digital cable box, it has a "sleep" feature. Press the "Settings" button>set sleep timer>right arrow to set # of minutes. Be sure to "select" your choice.

Life is incomplete without the "sleep" feature!
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Kumu

Thumbs up Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

least favorite - orbit commercials!!!! "Dirty mouth"

and that singing creditreport.com commercial - that cocky singing dude...would sure love to shove my big toe in his mouth - he is so cocky with that singing - "credit report dot come baby*

i'll dot you something alright
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Ali`i

I agree about Billy Mays. The mute button was invented for him. The absolute surest, quickest way to alienate me is to yell. Whenever he comes on its time to check other channels, it would be nice if stations figured out that letting ******** like him alienate viewers cost them ratings points.
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I don't hate this commercial. But, that commercial that spoofs the movie Poltergeist is really creepy. I saw on E True Hollywood Story that this movie is cursed. That little girl died young and the teen actress was murdered.
Interesting batch of coincidences; I had never heard about that "curse." More details here and here.
Old October 20th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Kia`aina

I absolutely cannot stand this one commercial for a deodorant with this very melodic and sad music and they show this woman jumping off her balcony head first. She appears unscathed but the tag line was (not accurate) "women are going to different lengths to avoid deodorant stains when they put on their clothes". I just do not like this commercial. It reminds me of things.

OH, I found it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4nx49RJ2c
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Kumu

The commercial I hate most nowadays is that Jack-In-The-Box one in the park with the two grown men in a baby stroller crying like, well, babies.

I HATE IT.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Ali`i

My newest least favorite is...
...the Holiday Inn Express spot that features a woman delivering a baby and baby cuts it's own cord.
Blech!
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Ali`i

Another least favorite...
Imitrex (a migraine headache med), that shows the actors bodies with no heads; instead, holding their heads in their hands. Ewww!
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ali`i

I hate the Credit Report Dot Com commercials too. This latest one with the party isn't AS BAD as the other ones, mainly b/c I can't memorize the song to it, and the beginning part with the guy carrying the champagne, acting like it's for him, then handing it off b/c he's the waiter cracks me up. But the restaurant and the car? HATE.

Mostly I get to skip commericals. My Ti-Faux is the best thing ever. Except I totally don't understand this new one we have, so I can't record shows on it.
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Another least favorite...
Imitrex (a migraine headache med), that shows the actors bodies with no heads; instead, holding their heads in their hands. Ewww!
Well, well, well...a commercial's job is to imbed the name of the product into the viewer. Positive or negative doesn't matter...just that the product's name is remembered.

Looks like I disliked this migraine medication spot enough to not grasp the name. I tuned out after the name of the competitor's product was mentioned within the first few seconds of the copy...Imitrex! Then, again, maybe that was the point!!! Because of my job I tend to pay pretty close attention to commercials. Not so with this one!

The product is Treximet! It still registers high on my ewww scale.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ali`i

The Cash4Gold.com commercial looks like an amateur production for a national audience.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
I hate the Credit Report Dot Com commercials too. This latest one with the party isn't AS BAD as the other ones, mainly b/c I can't memorize the song to it, and the beginning part with the guy carrying the champagne, acting like it's for him, then handing it off b/c he's the waiter cracks me up. But the restaurant and the car? HATE.
The reason I hate this commercial is that it leads you to believe you can get your credit report free. Get your really free reports: one from each agency spaced every four months or so - this way, you'll get one report from each agency annually.

http://www.forbes.com/personalfinanc...money_inl.html

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Twice in the last year, I've gotten notification that my credit info "could" have been compromised. Nuttin so far, thankfully.
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Ali`i

A new least favorite...
H & R Block's "Second Look" with the cyclops actors. It's right up there on my Ewwww scale!!!
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Kumu

Geico's had some pretty good commercials over the years, but their latest campaign, the one with the stack of money with eyes... "that's the money you would've saved if you switched to Geico"... is an epic fail. I can't stand them.

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Ali`i

I'm getting really tired of the singing-fish-on-the-wall McDonald's filet-o-fish spot. 'Nuf already!
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I'm getting really tired of the singing-fish-on-the-wall McDonald's filet-o-fish spot. 'Nuf already!
I was just thinking the same thing! I like this spot a lot but it's being aired into the ground...probably just positioning McDs to take advantage of the economic woes. Can't blame 'em for that. Or maybe I'm just envious of the residuals the 2 actors are making. They hit a gold mine!

It's now airing again on the same channel it aired within the past 10 minutes. Lucky actors!
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs down Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Quote:
Echo that. It's getting on my nerve even more when one of my tenant's kids sing along with it.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Ali`i

The commercial with the Sham-Wow guy? Wait, Is it the one with him being on-screen or off-screen?
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Ali`i

any commercial with Billy Mays!!!! i turn the volume down so I don't have to listen to him yelling at me. He needs to take a voice class and learn how to modulate - he would be much more effective. But, on the other hand - since he does so many commercials, I guess he IS effective at least for his bank account!

I have an aversion to buying any product he advertises just because of him & his irritating voice.
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ali`i

I saw a bit on Jay Leno the other nite where he talked about the ShamWow guy getting his tongue bitten and then making the commercial - it was pretty funny!

I personally love the Sham Wow guy - he has so much fun making those messes
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Glad to say I have NEVER seen this spot, if it's as annoying as you folks say it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Geico's had some pretty good commercials over the years, but their latest campaign, the one with the stack of money with eyes... "that's the money you would've saved if you switched to Geico"... is an epic fail. I can't stand them.
That's funny - I kinda like the weirdness factor of those spots - and I am glad that the Cavemen ones seem to have run their course.
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
any commercial with Billy Mays!!!! [...]But, on the other hand - since he does so many commercials, I guess he IS effective at least for his bank account![...]
Bingo!!! Not only his bank account but the advertiser's, too. They wouldn't keep hiring Mays if he wasn't effective at selling the product.