Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Default Re: Horrible commercial

" eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome ugly single person" demographic."

Quote:
so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.
hate em both!
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to Surfingfarmboy
Post Re: Horrible commercial

An observation from Kimo55:
Quote:
Or the egocentric genre "gitcher own box".
'me first and only' Ah dun share with any family member.
idiotic. What is this teaching kids?! (or even reinforcing to dimwitted adults?)
I was going back looking at the older threads in this post, and I was thinking to myself this observation by Kimo55 about the Cheez-Its ads is what makes Hawaii the great state is above the other 49. I can't think of any other place where a viewer sees the now quite obvious to me...the selfishness that the "gitcher own box" promotes. Geez..I've watched the commericials dozens of times, and I didn't think anything of it at the time. Me thinks I've been away from the islands too long...I too am becoming more of an East Coast jaded know-it-all than the humble island boy I used to be.

Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; April 7th, 2005 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Improperly quoted observation
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

gotta rant on dis one:
AMC.
"Movies for movie people".
but all we get is:
some chick:
"And I'm all like: Oh, EEEuuuu! that's so skeh-WEEE!"

and other couples basically telling us their reaction to other films
"I like when the car goes flying over the hill, i like car crashes, she doesn't." "Well, not too much" "yea. She likes some..." duuuh.
and quoting the most basic lines that everyone knows, with inane imitations:
"I'll make him an offuh he can't refuse.."
These are not "movie people"! They are the collective villiage idiots of Slobjerkistan! They have nothing perceptive to say about films! They give us no insight into their level of appreciation or understanding of the Hollywood product. because they have none.
This collection of buffoons are as much "movie people" as that road runner technician is a heterosexual.
infuriating.

Last edited by kimo55; April 8th, 2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old April 10th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Luna

OK, here's one that gives me that fingernails-on-a-chalkboard feeling. Those commercials for Enzyte:

Narrator (in Don Pardo-ish voice): "This is Bob!"
Camera on a guy who is wide-eyed, smiling idiotically, dressed in garb that looks like it came out of the 1950s. Subject matter usually implies that after taking Enzyte, his golf swing improves and so does his performance in bed.

etc...etc...

Last edited by Keith H.; April 10th, 2005 at 02:14 AM. Reason: fix url tag...oops
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Luna

The commercial I really don't like is the Road Runner technician spot. He's boring his date with his virtuous proclamations of loving to shop for women's shoes, volunteering at the hospital, etc. Then he reveals he's a Road Runner technician. She pretends to be suddenly amorous, just to get him to fix her computer. Then, when he says he's finished: Thanks, can you see your way out? What a user.
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKHale2007
The commercial I really don't like is the Road Runner technician spot. He's boring his date with his virtuous proclamations of loving to shop for women's shoes, volunteering at the hospital, etc. Then he reveals he's a Road Runner technician. She pretends to be suddenly amorous, just to get him to fix her computer. Then, when he says he's finished: Thanks, can you see your way out? What a user.

and he's an, uuhh. "enabler"
wet noodle.
wuss.
whipped.
guhlee mahn. as ahnowd would say.
we decimated this commercial a lil while back, too.

(http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=543
half way.)

Last edited by kimo55; April 11th, 2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Luna

another horrible commercial:
Burger King

Where the tall guy makes the short guy act like a fool to "reel in" his BK fish.
I think that is degrading and makes me mad every time I see it.

Did any one notice that the BK commercial with the black guy in a cowboy hat singing, all the guys are black and most of the girls are white? I'm not racist, but it seemed like a strange demographic to me.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNSoKona
Where the tall guy makes the short guy act like a fool to "reel in" his BK fish I think that is degrading and makes me mad every time I see it.

yea. that, as mentioned before, is a new trend taken up by all ad agencies; emulating the insulting prank, girls behaving badly, ridicule everything trend in tv shows and entertainment in general.
too bad.
Quote:

Did any one notice that the BK commercial with the black guy in a cowboy hat singing, all the guys are black and most of the girls are white? I'm not racist, but it seemed like a strange demographic to me.
no, never saw that one yet. but vive la integracion, eh!?
Old April 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
no, never saw that one yet. but vive la integracion, eh!?
Kimo, yes you have. That's the same commercial we've been laughing over in the "The Breasts They Grow On Trees" thread. And I know you've watched that one.
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Ali`i

We are Kaiser Permanente. Live and thrive! yeah right!

On another thread, the question was HMSA or Kaiser Permanente. I was a strong supporter. I've been a member many years and had nothing gone wrong. Today, I'm suffering and it may be permanent.

Horrible commercial? Anything that mentions or is about Kaiser Permanente! Auwe or in my case Owweeeee!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Are we judging companies or their ads? Both, I guess.

I like Kaiser, having been an HMSA guy most of my life. And those "Live Long and Thrive" ads? I've seen much worse. I like the voice (Allison Janey?), the simple music, and the soliloquy is clever enough without being smirky. The one that ends with the beaming pediatrician? Love it.

I forgot one ad that really chaps my hide. It's for L.A. Weight Loss Centers. Like all weight loss ads, it features a spokeswoman who's actually a paid spokesperson rather than a customer, supposedly reading "real" customer testimonials. But what crosses the line is the "Before and After" photos they show. While any weight loss program could probably work a little to find a customer who'd make a good visual like that, the L.A. Weight Loss Centers ads fake it! There's fine print when the "Before and After" shots come up that say, "Photo digitally manipulated to simulate excessive weight" or something like that.

Sure, the twist is that they're faking the "Before" (stretching it out) rather than the "After" but it's pretty dishonest.

Last edited by pzarquon; April 11th, 2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Keiki

Location: On a small, oxygen rich, wet, rocky planet circling a yellow dwarf star in the Sagittarius arm.
Thumbs down Re: Horrible commercial

The worst commercial has to be the Oceanic Keiki Club commercial. It is the same worn out commercial that airs day in and day out randomly on oceanic channels. I hope that the parents of that commercial had the contract based on # of times aired.
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Are we judging companies or their ads? Both, I guess.

I like Kaiser, having been an HMSA guy most of my life. And those "Live Long and Thrive" ads? I've seen much worse. I like the voice (Allison Janey?), the simple music, and the soliloquy is clever enough without being smirky. The one that ends with the beaming pediatrician? Love it.
Of course, the ironic thing is, the first time I saw that commercial was while I was working out...in HMSA's employee fitness center.

But in my opinion (and before I say another word, the standard disclaimer applies...I speak for myself, not my company), I'm surprised no one brought up "93/7" here...
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H.
I'm surprised no one brought up "93/7" here...
As a seperate thread in another forum yeah, was around last summer when they first started to appear on various media (newspapers and TV). For me I didn't think it was horrible, more mysterious. I thought it was the start of another local radio station.

In any event I think I have seen about one 93|7 ad in the last couple of months or so.
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitech redneck
The worst commercial has to be the Oceanic Keiki Club commercial. It is the same worn out commercial that airs day in and day out randomly on oceanic channels. I hope that the parents of that commercial had the contract based on # of times aired.

yea. would like to see the script on that throwaway piece of...

"What's so keeseecod?

"I'm veshmutchafuuush.."

"Mommymommymoommy!"
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Ali`i

Is this the horrible commercial thread? I don't like the fat guy on the Well Patches commercial singing. Uuugh, can even see his bottom stomach a peek. Guy looks like a fool danceing and singing for "Well Patch"!
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine
Is this the horrible commercial thread? I don't like the fat guy on the Well Patches commercial singing. Uuugh, can even see his bottom stomach a peek. Guy looks like a fool danceing and singing for "Well Patch"!

translayyyshunnn, please?!
Old April 13th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
I PM Ryan eariler this evening about this situation and suggested to move responses #48 and later to some other forum in HawaiiThreads.
Ryan, we have a situation, here!

Quote:
Let's keep this topic back to "Horrible Commericals".
uh, yea. that's what I said!

(topic's been played out by now. we covered the ground.)

oh, yea. any time-warner cable commercial.
One where the guy is watching football. Camera framed on only his hands wiggling, then shooting outward. strange.
and freeky people. ohohohooo.

Many of the tmobile "toke anytime" catherine zeta jones.
except the one where the family is talking like auctioneers. that one is well done. Funny.
and check da marquee behind the teenage girl:
4 finger poi
it sez.

oh, and the latest
I'm Jellin
scholls commercials.
not right. kid's baseball crashes thru window, straight into new plasma TV on the wall. shatters it.
Kid apologizes, Dude sez;
No worries ya cute lil brat. It's just my new plasma TV.
Oh you must be jellin, kid sez.

OK; this teaches kids it's ok to damage 5000.00 worth of new electronics as long as ya give the guy a 2.99 pair of insoles first.

it also teaches spoiled yuppies to NOT wring lil vandal's necks if and when they happen to be in the opportune vicinity of inches away from yer two hands.

aaaand I'm spent.

Last edited by admin; April 13th, 2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Split thread per request.
Old April 13th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Luna

That hearing aid aid commercial...what the heck are they laughing about?

Old April 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

can't recall the hearing aid commercial, but by and large, I don't like the reactions of "actors" on many commercials:
That one where the low oil lite comes on as the family drives the blvd. then at a stoplight, the engine shakes itself outta the suv, and bounces down to the nearest oil change place.
The mom and family are doing nothing more then looking slightly concerned at a point over the hood.
as if a dog were wandering across the road.
An engine popping out and taking off requires much more than a dumb deadpan expression, which seems to be the nonactor's response to anything in all commercials.
And, no, I don't believe the nonexpressiveness adds to the comedic touch of the commercial.
They need more reaction.
Fire them all and get real actors.
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to zztype

Oh, yeah! That hearing aid commercial!!! The one, "I'm Randy Wohlers and I have a speech impediment which makes it appear that you have a hearing impairment, so why don't you come down and get a $5,000 hearing aid from me?" guy...

The guy sounds like he's got a stuck nose and is speaking into a cardboard box!

Then at the end of the commercial, he, his wife and I presume his grandkids are sitting around a table when he says something like, "Can't we all just get along?" and all the grandkids laugh like he just told a joke!!

Aaaugh!
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztype
... speech impediment...
why don't you come down and get a $5,000 hearing aid from me?" guy...
... he says something like, "Can't we all just get along?" and all the grandkids laugh like he just told a joke!!

No, to pay for the hearing aid, he asked his family members:
"Can't we all just get a loan?"
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztype
Then at the end of the commercial, he, his wife and I presume his grandkids are sitting around a table when he says something like, "Can't we all just get along?" and all the grandkids laugh like he just told a joke!!
Aaaugh!
Yeah, I actually wrote about that one here a while back. As I recall, what he actually says is "Life is too precious to waste a single moment." and then he and the wife and kids all crack up as if life is not precious.
Go figgah.
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Luna

Yeah, thats the one. It's almost creepy

Old April 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Ali`i

I saw the Geico Commercial about the cave man and the one showing the commercial with the cavemen in a home saying, "ssshhh!"

Talk about horrible and ugly!