Shame on the CDC for its anti-smoking ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shame on the CDC for its anti-smoking ads

The CDC (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Office on Smoking and Health) has unveiled a $54 million national media campaign. The campaign shows people struggling with life-altering ailments such as stroke-related paralysis, limb amputation, lung removal and heart attack. For example, depicted is a patient who breathes through a stoma, a surgically created hole in the neck through which a person who has undergone larynx or voice box surgery can breathe.

The images are intended to be terrifying, to try to scare smokers into quitting, or youth from not starting to smoke.

Yeah, well, those same terrifying images of the ravages upon the human body of cancer are also viewed by patients and families of cancer victims that ARE NOT SMOKERS!! Does your tutu have cancer? Your spouse? Your child? Want to watch an evening of TV, and have blasted across the screen the graphic images of cancer killing a patient??

It is one thing to put negative images on a pack of cigarettes. (Which only subjects smokers to the images ~ the intended "audience" of the campaign.)

But it is totally a different situation to put such distressing images as an advertisement (or PSA) on television. I cannot imagine how the CDC could show such a lack of compassion for cancer victims and their families, or how the CDC can feel that sensationalizing grim, deadly illnesses and diseases is for the good.

Shame on the CDC! Innocent cancer victims and other diseased patients deserve better from our government!
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Shame on the CDC for its anti-smoking ads

uh oh, we're going to disagree...
    I think most victims and the families would say that if it saved even one person from suffering like they have, it's worth it.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone in their right mind smokes, knowing now what they didn't 20-50 years ago. . .it's not a glamorous thing, and is a killer.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

I have several friends who quit smoking because they were "shamed" into stopping by their children. Their children would not have been educated to the dangers of smoking if the campaigns were limited to tobacco packaging. As Ron noted, if it keeps them alive, it's worth it. Deaths due to tobacco use affect us all, financially and emotionally.

Comment

I believe that stations are required by FCC rules to air public service announcements. Such as the weather alerts (which some on here object to) and also these antii-smoking ads. Just get over it and if you don't like the ads, don't watch them. Unless YOU are directly affected by the cancer aspect of the ads - its not up to you to complain and HT is certainly not the venue to use for your complaints. Your complaints should be directed to the FCC, not to HT.
          Last edited by anapuni808; March 16, 2012, 09:38 AM.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            uh oh, we're going to disagree...
            I think most victims and the families would say that if it saved even one person from suffering like they have, it's worth it.
            Another "if is saves even one" argument? There are many medical procedures and illnesses that "could" be shown as an ad, but it would be inappropriate. Yes, I agree that a cigarette smoker who develops cancer might think the ads are useful tools to help prevent someone else from their fate. But, at the same time, and more importantly, other cancer victims, those who DO NOT smoke, are being subjected to the horrifying graphics of what cancer death looks like. It is simply cruel.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I have several friends who quit smoking because they were "shamed" into stopping by their children. Their children would not have been educated to the dangers of smoking if the campaigns were limited to tobacco packaging. As Ron noted, if it keeps them alive, it's worth it. Deaths due to tobacco use affect us all, financially and emotionally.
            I'm not talking about the need to educate on the dangers of smoking. I am talking about the total disregard for the current cancer patients who are already frightened out of their wits ... and now via the courtesy of the CDC, they have reason to become even more afraid.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I believe that stations are required by FCC rules to air public service announcements. Such as the weather alerts (which some on here object to) and also these antii-smoking ads. Just get over it and if you don't like the ads, don't watch them. Unless YOU are directly affected by the cancer aspect of the ads - its not up to you to complain and HT is certainly not the venue to use for your complaints. Your complaints should be directed to the FCC, not to HT.
            Anapuni808: EXCUSE ME??? Complaints about the CDC ads are "off limits" on HT??? Please post your list of approved topics. And, I did not realize before that you were in charge of what venues HTers were to use.

And Anapuni808, it would also be useful if you'd post your list of criteria for determining when someone can talk or "complain" about a topic. Only those directly affected by cancer can talk on the subject fo the CDC ads? I'd like to know what other rules you've put into effect so I can better prepare for HT discussions.

Guess what folks? Not all cancer victims are "smokers who brought on their illness". Many cancer patients are people who have lead healthful lives, yet cancer strikes. Do cancer victims not deserve any compassion? Isn't there another way to educate on the dangers of smoking while still showing sympathy and kindness for those facing a potentially deadly disease?
            Last edited by Amati; March 16, 2012, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I have several friends who quit smoking because they were "shamed" into stopping by their children. Their children would not have been educated to the dangers of smoking if the campaigns were limited to tobacco packaging.
              Your friends quit smoking because their children told them to? Bah! They should talk to their dentist:

But seriously,....

Today, we have laws that have heavily clamped down on cigarette advertising, compared to what it was like in the 20th century. But throughout much of that time, the tobacco companies deluged magazines and the airwaves with images of young, vibrant, and healthy people encouraging others to light up. The PSA spots featuring cancer-striken patients is designed to inject a healthy dose a reality into the minds of young people who have to decide for themselves whether or not they want to be smokers.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                ...other cancer victims, those who DO NOT smoke, are being subjected to the horrifying graphics of what cancer death looks like. It is simply cruel. ----- I'm not talking about the need to educate on the dangers of smoking. I am talking about the total disregard for the current cancer patients who are already frightened out of their wits...
                I find much that is broadcast on television these days to be disgustingly graphic, gory, frightening and horrifying. And that's just on crime and medical drama shows. (I'm not joking - there is a graphic goriness that has become commonplace on television in the past decade, and it is the number-one reason why I watch so little television now.) Fortunately, I have a powerful weapon in my arsenal that prevents these graphic images from reaching my eyes. And I'll bet you can all guess what it is...

Comment

I have a powerful weapon in my arsenal that prevents these graphic images from reaching my eyes. And I'll bet you can all guess what it is...
                  ooo ooo, I know, eyelids?!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    ooo ooo, I know, eyelids?!
                    ZZZZzzzzzzz......

Comment

[...] Unless YOU are directly affected by the cancer aspect of the ads - its not up to you to complain and HT is certainly not the venue to use for your complaints. Your complaints should be directed to the FCC, not to HT.
                      With all due respect, Anapuni, many of us complain about something on HT on probably a daily basis. That's just part of this form of social media. I bitterly complained about my condo building's former resident manager who eventually was arrested for murder. Others have complained about health issues. Still others about their disgust with certain TV commercials <gasp!>. And let's not forget politics, storm warnings, Rush Limbaugh...the list is endless.
                      [...- there is a graphic goriness that has become commonplace on television in the past decade, and it is the number-one reason why I watch so little television now.)[...]
                      And the main reason I watch so much HGTV!

Comment

And please let it be clear that I don't think what Amati is saying is "wrong." I don't happen to be in agreement on this particular topic - but that's all it is. No disrespect meant from this quarter.

Comment

Thank you Leo Lakio, open discussion is welcomed from my corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            The campaign shows people struggling with life-altering ailments such as stroke-related paralysis, limb amputation, lung removal and heart attack. For example, depicted is a patient who breathes through a stoma, a surgically created hole in the neck through which a person who has undergone larynx or voice box surgery can breathe.
                            At the risk of "beating up" on someone because matapule disagree with their post...........all matapule can say about the post above is dat "the truth hurts."

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            so much HGTV!
                            Matapule have posted in the past that matapule was proud that matapule didn't have TV service......Matapule succumbed!!!! He weak little bus turd! Matapule now have FIOS HD service and Matapule is now addicted to HGTV because they gave TV to matapule free if matapule purchased Telephone and Internet from them. Sucker born ebry minut! Matapule love House Hunters and House Hunters International. When dey show perfect fale in Tonga? At the risk of "beating up" on them, Matapule find "Love it or List it" tedious and predictable. Why there ALWAYS a calamity in the fix up? Yawn. Dancing with the Stars? Yawn. Uaifi and matapule are members of a ballroom dance club and Matapule can really shake the house down with his matapule size frame! Waltz, Fox Trot, Western Swing, Cha-cha, Salsa,,,,matapule got'm covered.

Kay den, now back to arguing about anti-cigarette ads!
                            Last edited by matapule; March 16, 2012, 05:22 PM.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Amati, I should not have addressed you personally in my remark and I apologize for that. I should have addressed the HT community instead. When we are frustrated/irritated with something, it doesn't really do any good to just complain here on HT. We can affect change more effectively by commenting directly to the agencies/people involved. If we just comment on here we are pretty much just "preaching to the chorus". and it doesn't really do any good. I get frustrated just like everyone else. However, I usually will take action other than just venting here on HT. I would hope that everyone else does the same. and then comes back here to vent
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X