December 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2012

Depending on the sources either December 21 or December 23, 2012 is when the Mayan Calendar ends or resets itself after 5,000+ years of keeping track of dates. What happens on or after those dates, well different people have different views of what might happen.

If you want express your views about this event then this thread is the place for it. If you want to talk about the movie 2012 which opens November 13 please go to the thread titled 2012 in The Big Picture subforum.
    Last edited by helen; November 11, 2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: adding an URL

Re: December 2012

One thing for sure, there will be a lot of people out there just itching to make money out of our fears.
    Another thing: If it is the end of the world, there's not much we can do about it.

Just in case it's not, don't throw your money away.

I've heard just about everything from a pole shift, a magnetic shift, the return of the twelfth planet 'Niburu,' comets, asteroids and so on.

The Mayan 5,200-year cycle has passed by approximately six or seven times since homo-sapiens-sapiens evolved upon this Earth. Perhaps the ruins we have uncovered older than 5,000 years ago are destroyed civilizations from previous disasters, but we survived.

Catastrophic changes can come at any time, without warning. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one.

K.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Archaeologists have interpreted the Mayan Calendar and it does, in fact end in December, 2012. But here is the rest of the story. The Mayan Calendar starts anew after that date. It is like your desk calendar, when the year ends, you throw it out and put a new one in its place for the new year. The difference is that the our Gregorian Calendar is based on the annual solar cycle. The Mayan Calendar is based on some other cycle composed of generations. (I'll try to find the link)

The idea that the world is going to end in December, 2012 based on a Mayan Calendar is nothing but tu'u mama'o.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Does the Dec. 2012 Mayan prediction take into account the adjustments made when shifting from the Julian to Gregorian calendar?

Comment

December 23 is right before Christmas. I wonder how that will influence holiday shoppers and travellers?

Comment

I worked at Bank of America during the change from 1999-2000. That was total chaos. People were coming in to buy all denominations of money (even $2 bills and .50 coins), people buried money in their yards. The worst part was, the city workers got paid on Fridays, but they decided to pay them on Thursday, 12-30 instead without informing any of the banks. We were a small branch and we hadn't ordered enough money from the Fed Reserve, so we ran out of money since tons of people were cashing checks a day earlier than normal. People started FREAKING OUT and one guy started praying outside in the parking lot. Nightmare!

As for 2012- well, the Bible says God will come back like a thief in the night, when no one is suspecting it. I would venture a guess that a lot of people will be suspecting it all that year. So maybe not the best choice, huh? But I really wish the History channel would quit Doomsdaying us. It's quite annoying and, I'll admit it, just a little scary.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Y2K12 is near.

Comment

That date is just a few days after my last mortgage payment. Could be the biggest joke on me, ever.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Everyone has made out December 2012 to be a bad thing, but maybe it can be a good thing! Perhaps it's going to the next stage in human development -- we'll all get special abilities like on Heroes, surely!

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  Archaeologists have interpreted the Mayan Calendar and it does, in fact end in December, 2012. But here is the rest of the story. The Mayan Calendar starts anew after that date. It is like your desk calendar, when the year ends, you throw it out and put a new one in its place for the new year. The difference is that the our Gregorian Calendar is based on the annual solar cycle. The Mayan Calendar is based on some other cycle composed of generations. (I'll try to find the link)

The idea that the world is going to end in December, 2012 based on a Mayan Calendar is nothing but tu'u mama'o.
                  I like this explanation best.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    It is like your desk calendar, when the year ends, you throw it out and put a new one in its place for the new year.
                    Is the Mayan calendar the one carved out of a huge rock that weighs tons?

I can see why they made it go as far as possible before they had to start on a new edition. Not like buying another Dilbert or Far Side model...
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

The only thing scientifically guaranteed to happen for 2011-2012 is more sunspot activity and solar storms.

Y'all might even get to see the northern lights:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...larcycle24.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                        The only thing scientifically guaranteed to happen for 2011-2012 is more sunspot activity and solar storms.

Y'all might even get to see the northern lights:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...larcycle24.htm

An hour or twos drive from me and I am in Scotland. From there the northern lights come down like wavering coloured curtains. Great when you get a guy to play the bagpipes while this is happening. You feel like you are in a different world.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                          An hour or twos drive from me and I am in Scotland. From there the northern lights come down like wavering coloured curtains. Great when you get a guy to play the bagpipes while this is happening. You feel like you are in a different world.
                          Try laying on your back, on a floating platform 'raft' in the middle of a secluded northern Michigan lake and the only lights around are stars and the the sky's party lights.

Major coolness!

Comment

Check out this website. Very cool pro vs. con presentations.

I love BoingBoing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              The Mayan 5,200-year cycle has passed by approximately six or seven times since homo-sapiens-sapiens evolved upon this Earth.
                              K.
                              Current estimate is around 40 times, not 6 or 7. Oldest found - 195,000 years old.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X