Merrie Monarch 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2009

So, greentara, did you get your MM tickets?

I just booked my airfare, accoms and rental car YESTERDAY - crazy, I know! I was really in two minds about going but I just hate to miss out. I knew that the stars would really have to be in alignment for me to get everything that I needed but my press pass came through, I got a good deal on flights with Hawaiian (let's hope their pilots don't go on strike next week) and there was a cottage available at Kilauea Military Camp. The only thing I wish I had booked earlier is my rental car, which I think is quite expensive ($116 a day for an economy car!)

Who has the scoops on what to look out for this year?

I'm excited to see Keali'i Reichel's halau compete at Merrie Monarch for the first time!
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
      So, greentara, did you get your MM tickets?

I just booked my airfare, accoms and rental car YESTERDAY - crazy, I know! I was really in two minds about going but I just hate to miss out. I knew that the stars would really have to be in alignment for me to get everything that I needed but my press pass came through, I got a good deal on flights with Hawaiian (let's hope their pilots don't go on strike next week) and there was a cottage available at Kilauea Military Camp. The only thing I wish I had booked earlier is my rental car, which I think is quite expensive ($116 a day for an economy car!)

Who has the scoops on what to look out for this year?

I'm excited to see Keali'i Reichel's halau compete at Merrie Monarch for the first time!
      Me too! . and I think everyone is excited that he finally bought his halau into competition at the Merrie Monarch.
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Hmm.... no responses yet from the hula fans 'in the know!'

Does anyone have any favorites for Miss Aloha Hula? Here's the list of dancers for this year.

Dancer: Ashley Kananio Alapa‘i Artis
        Hälau: Hälau Nä Mamo O Kaÿala, Wai‘anae, O‘ahu

Dancer: Kristi Keahiapele Celebrado
        Hälau: Nä Hula O Kaohikukapulani, Hanapëpë, Kaua‘i

Dancer: Gerilyn Snow Emata
        Hälau: Hälau O Ka Hanu Lehua, Kahului, Maui / Honolulu, O‘ahu

Dancer: Cherissa Henoheanäpuaikawaokele Käne
        Hälau: Hälau Ke‘alaokamaile, Wailuku, Maui

Dancer: Maria Ka‘iulani Kanehailua
        Hälau: Ka Lä ‘Önohi Mai O Ha‘eha‘e, Kahauiki, O‘ahu

Dancer: C’ari Mae Kawailehua Kealoha
        Hälau: Hula Hälau ‘O Kamuela, Kalihi / Waimänalo, O‘ahu

Dancer: Malia Ann Kaleihiwahiwaonamakua Marks
        Hälau: Hälau Hula Olana, Pu‘uloa, O‘ahu

Dancer: Pöhaikau‘ilani Ann Nu‘uhiwa
        Halau: Keolalaulani Hälau Ölapa O Laka, He‘eia / Käne‘ohe, O‘ahu

Dancer: Kaholo Kahikipi‘ilani Panui
        Hälau: Hälau Nä Mamo O Pu‘uanahulu, Kapahulu, O‘ahu

Dancer: Nicole Kehaulani Aki Taniguchi
        Hälau:Hälau Ka Liko Pua O Kalaniäkea, Käneohe, O‘ahu

Dancer: Kiara Masayo Kalehuaikauanoe Wheeler
        Hälau: Hälau I Ka Wëkiu, Pauoa, O‘ahu
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

With all due respect to the organizers of this prestigious event... when will they ever realize that allowing convicted child molester Chinky Mahoe to participate severely dilutes respect for the event???
          Some may forgive, but we should NEVER FORGET.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            [...]Some may forgive, but we should NEVER FORGET.

Possibly the organizers fall into both of these categories? Dunno...just guessing.

Comment

I'm posting this 3 rows from the stage during intermission. My pick at the conclusion of the kahiko section of the miss aloha hula contest is kaholo kahikipiilani panui. all the girls have been fantastic but her chanting and confidence make her my early fave. i expected nothing but a class act from her kumu sonny ching!

wat a rousing applause for Kealii reichel when he made his way to the stage! all the Japanese hula fans here went nuts!

how's it looking in hd?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                [...]
                how's it looking in hd?
                Beautiful. There's a discussion going on here.

Comment

I totally agree about Panui - she just showed such self confidence and presence during her kahiko performance. I think his halau will do well again this year.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

after the auana, I had no idea who would win. I'm not a great fan of auana but I do LOVE the music! the girls who danced to natalie ai kamauu, sean naauao, na palapalai or Kealii reichel stood out to me. the fact that I know and love nani venuse and kamailes songs made them even more special to me. reichel's girl cherissa won the OHA language award and Miss Aloha 2009! The crowd was ecstatic! cherissa was emotional and humble and her kumu was his ever elusive self trying to remain low key and leave the stage before Manu boyd could interview him. he seemed like he just wanted it to be over during mahealani Richardson's interview too! I love that cherissa was a healthy size Hawaiian girl! she's REAL, not like all the skinny girls that dance at the luaus. BIG GIRLS ROCK! she seemed genuinely surprised to win. not bad for an mm first timer!

ooh, my back hurts from sitting so long and I have to do it all again tomorrow! Kealii's group will be flying high after cherissa's win. they have the added pressure of being the crowd favorite, which usually the judges don't agree with (think mark Kealii hoomalu). I'm excited to see the kane - esp. returning champions sonny ching's halau and my ultimate faves, uncle o'brien's ke kahiki o ke kai!

Comment

Congratulations Cherrisa Kane, beautiful and flawless. Now thats the kind of Hula that brings excitement to the Merrie Monarch stage.
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

First of all, let's talk about the Kauai girl. I'm sorry Kumu Kapu, but what were you thinking? Kodak Hula Show THIS IS NOT. I'm having bad visuals of their auana costumes the last time they performed at MM. I was really hoping Kauai would step it up this year.

Kaholo and Cherissa were my favorites to win it all. Both did a remarkable job, worthy of praise.

I know that Aunty Nalani Kanaka'ole is a MM judge every now and then, but I noticed that this year's judges aren't your usual judges. I was expecting to see Frank Hewitt and Vicky Takamine, for sure.

And regarding the ire against Chinky Mahoe... How come Ray Fonseca gets to participate in MM even though he killed someone?

I've been very disconnected from my hula family lately because of work and life, so I'm very much not "in the know" this year. Hopefully that will change next year. For now, I'm just very excited it's happening again, and the HD's wonderful. It's like Christmas Morning.

Now where Tita Pua'i Mana'o?
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                          And regarding the ire against Chinky Mahoe... How come Ray Fonseca gets to participate in MM even though he killed someone?
                          Apples and oranges. There was a whole thread about Ray Fonseca a few years back and you can read it at this link if you'd like.
                          To answer your question, I agree completely with what Lurkah wrote in post #38 of that thread: "Comparing what Chinky did to what Rae Fonseca did is like apples to rotten oranges. What Chinky did required willful premeditation and cunning on his part while Rae Fonseca's crime occurred while he was allegedly impaired while operating a motorized vehicle".
                          Ray Fonseca didn't plan to cause that accident, but Chinky did plan to molest those kids.
                          End of comparison.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]
                            I've been very disconnected from my hula family lately because of work and life, [...]
                            Not to mention HT!!! You've been missed and I was hoping you'd pop in to comment on Merrie Monarch.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Not to mention HT!!! You've been missed and I was hoping you'd pop in to comment on Merrie Monarch.
                              Is water wet? You know I could go a MM without dropping by!
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

First of all, let's talk about the Kauai girl. I'm sorry Kumu Kapu, but what were you thinking? Kodak Hula Show THIS IS NOT. I'm having bad visuals of their auana costumes the last time they performed at MM. I was really hoping Kauai would step it up this year.
                                Her name was Kristi Celebrado. I just finished watching it, and the first thing I thought was "huh. This is some wiers cheesy luau hula. I didn't know MM did that". I didnt like her outfit, the songs, or the 'fish hands' that she kept doing.

Better luck next time, Kauai.
                                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                                X