Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnes & Noble doomed?

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Today is the last day as Borders closes its doors.
    What the heck could they have left?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Furnishings and fixtures, also for sale.

Comment

The End.......
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I heard it was a dollar a book. I don't know how much books they still had.

Comment

It was 90% off earlyer this week. But at this point, it's gone. Looking though the windows, I couldn't see anything but fixtures.

Comment

The potential demise of the physical written word brings to mind some of what Umberto Eco writes about in his book "The Name of the Rose". Electronic media is fantastic as long as the batteries last but at a certain point it is prudent to have some form of library at home..Let alone what is stored between ones own two ears.

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...a-mall-closing

No more Barnes & Noble at Kahala Mall.

Comment

Not surprising. Just about everything that was once physical media is now being taken over by digital media.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

That sux, I still feel the loss of Borders, and Tower Records for both print and music, we'll be third world if we watch the AM BnN go.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      Not surprising. Just about everything that was once physical media is now being taken over by digital media.
                      Maybe so, mel, but the difference is B&N is the #1 competitor to Amazon in both forms (i.e. Nook, http://www.barnesandnoble.com, etc.). B&N can stem their losses by expanding their website offerings, promote loyalty programs more heavily and incorporating heavy Paypal payment and Shoprunner shipping usage — something Amazon has been quite slow to adopt.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Can't argue with this, but according to one opinion piece in the SB last week (I won't link to it because I don't know if it's free content), the store's closing isn't related to poor sales (the writer says sales there have been good), and although BN is closing many of its stores nationwide on its own, the Kahala store was not on that list. It is the mall itself that wants Ross in that space.

...we'll be third world if we watch the AM BnN go.
                        What?

EDIT: Oh. You mean "we on Oahu" and "Ala Moana." Geez. In a conversation where Amazon is being compared to BN, I thought you were abbreviating Amazon there. Anyway, while it certainly won't be an ideal situation if we ever lose that bookstore, "third world" is going a bit far. I can think of a few communities in this country who might take offense.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Maybe so, mel, but the difference is B&N is the #1 competitor to Amazon in both forms (i.e. Nook, http://www.barnesandnoble.com, etc.). B&N can stem their losses by expanding their website offerings, promote loyalty programs more heavily and incorporating heavy Paypal payment and Shoprunner shipping usage — something Amazon has been quite slow to adopt.
                        These are undoubtedly changes BN can make if it wants to distinguish itself in some way. I'm not sure what else it can do (I don't pretend to know much about business), but while I enjoy shopping through both channels, the fact that BN is somewhere I can go, browse, wander, and hang out will always give it the advantage for me. Books are both an impulse buy and a planned expense for me, and I know I am not alone. There has to be a way for BN to remind people of how great it is to hang out in bookstores. BN doesn't have to rule the roost in order to thrive; all it has to do, it seems to me, is hang on to enough of the market in smart enough a way.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          EDIT: Oh. You mean "we on Oahu" and "Ala Moana." Geez, "third world" is going a bit far.
                          Any US community our size without a decent bookstore is crazy rediculous, a sad reflection on society in general, how far the mighty have fallen.

Comment

Any US community our size without a decent bookstore is crazy rediculous, a sad reflection on society in general, how far the mighty have fallen.
                            Depends on what you mean by "decent bookstore." Remember, BN and Borders have only been here since the early and mid-90s. Before that, we had mall bookstores and a couple of tiny independents. Bookends in Kailua seems to be filling that space on the windward side; someone else surely would in town if BN were to leave. Which is actually the theme of that Star-Advertiser opinion piece I mentioned.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              Maybe so, mel, but the difference is B&N is the #1 competitor to Amazon in both forms (i.e. Nook, http://www.barnesandnoble.com, etc.).
                              On the digital front, I would also include Apple and Google into the mix. Apple sells digital titles for their iOS devices and Google is selling content to their Android partners. B&N has also attached itself to the Google Play store for their Nook devices. There was speculation that Microsoft may want to purchase the Nook reader and technology.

Let's not also forget Amazon with their Kindle offerings.

Quite a range of digital platforms to get practically the same content on all fronts. Instant gratification and convenience is what digital offers vs. a traditional bookstore.

The only major obstacle to most commericially published digital books is DRM.

DRM is something that all paperbound books do not have. And to me that is a good thing.

I don't like DRM.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Sad we need a dozen Ross stores but only need one bookstore. Wonder how long before B&N @ Ala Moana will be gone too.

Comment

Working...
                                X