Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Star-Bulletin on the Web

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
    IS THERE ANY WAY ANOTHER SUBJECT CAN BE DISCUSSED??
    Yes, just not in the thread about this topic. See another thread. Start another thread. Go ahead - we'll follow ya.

Comment

Originally posted by 808golfer View Post
      I have been impressed by the number of different ways the same thing keeps being said....over and over...and over.
      You're impressed. That's good!

Comment

I want to complain about people who complain.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          I'm going to have to see if that ad blocking software works with the Mac version of Firefox.
          It's been pointed out before that just shutting off flash will do that. In IE you can do that by putting the SB in the "Restricted" category. I'd expect FF would have similar tools.

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
          People don't mind having ads on a website. Lots of them do. And it's OK.

[...Absolutely no one has complained about ads on the SB site. What they're objecting to is the intrusive pop-ups that are sometimes difficult to clear out of the way, or how these things send them off to somewhere they have no intention of going.
          And I've said before, find a way of getting me ads I'm interested in and everyone will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            It's been pointed out before that just shutting off flash will do that.
            Surely enough, however doing that shuts off all flash enabled sites... including good ones like er... YouTube or a number of music streaming ones.

So a pick and choose approach is the best solution for the flash ads.

I looked into the AdBlocking thing referred to a few posts back. From the screenshots it looks like it works only with Windows.

Perhaps the browser makers themselves will come up with a flash plug-in or filter which will be easy for users to manage their flash experience on a per-site basis.

Until that happens I avoid the StarBulletin main pages and use the mobile ones when they are updated or late in the day.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Surely enough, however doing that shuts off all flash enabled sites... including good ones like er... YouTube or a number of music streaming ones.
              And putting SB in the "Restricted" websites category limits it to just the SB. I don't know FF has the same feature or not.

Comment

I looked into the AdBlocking thing referred to a few posts back. From the screenshots it looks like it works only with Windows.
                I'm using AdBlock Plus on a Mac. OS 10.5.5 and Firefox.

Comment

It seems that perhaps the Star-Bulletin stopped using pop-up ads the last few days. Anyone else notice that?
                  And if they did stop... HALLELUJAH!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    It seems that perhaps the Star-Bulletin stopped using pop-up ads the last few days. Anyone else notice that?
                    And if they did stop... HALLELUJAH!!!
                    I turned off AdBlock and no pop-ups popped up. Great!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      The New York Times has required a login to view most content on their website for at least four or five years now. The point of this process is to track the viewer’s reading habits, and thus customize ads to the specific viewer.
                      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      I think they have since dropped that requirement. You should be able to access most of their content now without giving them any personal data, or using any kind of login.
                      Well, maybe much of their content. But just 10 minutes ago, it asked me for my login when I clicked on a breaking news story about the Fed buying $1 trillion in securities. So maybe it’s just random?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Well, maybe much of their content. But just 10 minutes ago, it asked me for my login when I clicked on a breaking news story about the Fed buying $1 trillion in securities. So maybe it’s just random?
                        Hmmm. I gots no good answer for you on that one, other than maybe they are just doing it to annoy you. I thought originally that there might be a cookie on my computer from them, but I've popped on to their site from several different boxes lately, without trouble. Wonder if it had anything to do with the "breaking news" aspect (which seems dangerous to do).

Comment

*sucks thumb, whining that they can spam all the ads they want, I won't complain, as long as they bring back the paper to we neighbor isles*

thlurrrp thluuurp thlurrrp I wanna read the paper™ again thlurrrp thluuurp

pax

Comment

I got a pop-down ad this afternoon between 3 and 4 when I was trying to read their "breaking news" headlines.

Comment

I got a pop-up that obscured the content just now, so I think everything is back to normal (normal for the SB).

Comment

I got a big pop-up ad too, just now. DAYUM!
                                And they're getting worse, if that's possible. Now it takes ten seconds or so before the Close Ad button comes up, so you can't even get rid of it.
                                Bye-bye, SB. You've lost me for good.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X