Duane Shimogawa on KHNL... "elementary"... pronunciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duane Shimogawa on KHNL... "elementary"... pronunciation

a little pet peeve mispronunciation on an easy word......elementary....

the word is pronounced elemen - ta -ry

duane shimogawa on khnl was saying element- ary with the t more silent.. like elemen na ry

he did this on the private school closings (Kula on Kauai) news piece:
    http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=10448386

but i remember hearing him say "elemenary" once before on another news piece on khnl..

can someone tell him how to say it right... heh. thanks!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/elementary

--Chris

Re: Duane Shimogawa on KHNL... "elementary"... pronunciation

I have family who say it elemen-tree. Doesn't bother me though.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I think that is more the British style of pronunciation?

two of my pet peeves are: NU Q ler and Re la tor

and of course the way Joe Moore insists on not pronouncing Hawaiian language properly. He has certainly lived here long enough to learn how to say the words right.
      Last edited by anapuni808; May 30, 2009, 05:38 PM.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Dialectical divergence, regional accents, let's be tolerant cuz in Hawai`i we from everywhere.

I spent some formative years in Connecticut, and learned to pronounce "quarter" as 'qua-ter,' almost sounds like 'water.' Whereas non-NewEngland influenced folks say 'quar-ter.'

Regional dialects can be fun and handy in identifying where someone grew up!

It still frosts me, however, when mainland solicitors ask me:
        "So do you still live on Kamey Hamey Ha Highway?"

I like it better when they say, "I'm not even going to try!"

Ka`onohi, from Can ehh oh hee.... (the Kahollow part).
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The softening of consonants, especially dental stops (or dental plosives) such as the /d/ and /t/ sounds is a normal English thing. You probably don't pronounce Toyota with that same pronounced /t/ sound you insist must be made when someone pronounces elementary. If you're not going to pronounce Toyota correctly, why judge someone else for not saying other words the way you'd like? That /t/ sound is in there when people say "elemennary." You just don't hear it distinctly.

There's actually a name for this: intervocalic alveolar flapping.

If it bugs you, it bugs you. But you could lose the condescending tone. This isn't a mispronunciation so much as a lenition, a normal trend toward the softening of consonants.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by OffTheRock View Post
            a little pet peeve mispronunciation on an easy word......elementary....

the word is pronounced elemen - ta -ry
            Trust me, that's not an easy word, even though it represent the basic level of childhood education.

K-6 are better pronouncing their "almah mahter" as a "Grade School."
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

not so much a pronunciation peeve as a grammatical one: the growing prevalence of "an historical" versus "a historical."

as for car name pronunciations, i find the whole thing about "hyundai like sunday" bemusing.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                You probably don't pronounce Toyota with that same pronounced /t/ sound you insist must be made when someone pronounces elementary.
                I do - but I'm a bit of a freak for clarity in the spoken word (decades of radio, theatre, voice work, you know). Plus, there's the Japanese pronunciation aspect.
                Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                not so much a pronunciation peeve as a grammatical one: the growing prevalence of "an historical" versus "a historical."
                Good one. That's a simple rule: use "an" before "h" only if the "h" is silent, as in honest. If it's pronounced (as in historical), use "a."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  That's a simple rule: use "an" before "h" only if the "h" is silent, as in honest. If it's pronounced (as in historical), use "a."

So, as a McKinley grad, I should know better than to say, "Kapalama is an Hawaiian word under discussion." Hmmmm.
                  Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                    So, as a McKinley grad, I should know better than to say, "Kapalama is an Hawaiian word under discussion." Hmmmm.
                    I didn't realize the "H" in "Hawaiian" is silent.

My grammatical confusion is whether to use "a" or "an" preceding initials.

For example, do you say/write "an RPG book" (because of the "R" pronounciation) or "a RPG book" (because it's a hard consonant -- "Role Playing Game")?
                    Last edited by Random; May 31, 2009, 01:00 PM.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

well. are we doing pet grammar peeves? Far afield . . .there's probaby another thread for that.

how about "the media is . . ." which is totally wrong but totally in common usage these days. Medium is the singular of media ... should be "the media are . . ."

Comment

wouldn't it be:

A RPG book

AN RPG article

or,

the media IS video tape

the media ARE lurking outside my door

"Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The general rule is that you say "an" when the following word has a vowel sound, hence "an arr-pee-gee book." So, do I play a you-koo-ley-ley or an oo-koo-leh-leh?

Media are - because "media" is plural of "medium." But you knew that. What we still don't know is why they are lurking outside your door, Anapuni808!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            My grammatical confusion is whether to use "a" or "an" preceding initials.

For example, do you say/write "an RPG book" (because of the "R" pronounciation) or "a RPG book" (because it's a hard consonant -- "Role Playing Game")?
                            yeah...what leo said:

The general rule is that you say "an" when the following word has a vowel sound, hence "an arr-pee-gee book." So, do I play a you-koo-ley-ley or an oo-koo-leh-leh?
                            now on to the other thing:

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            well. are we doing pet grammar peeves? Far afield . . .there's probaby another thread for that.

how about "the media is . . ." which is totally wrong but totally in common usage these days. Medium is the singular of media ... should be "the media are . . ."
                            Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            wouldn't it be:

the media IS video tape

the media ARE lurking outside my door

Media are - because "media" is plural of "medium." But you knew that. What we still don't know is why they are lurking outside your door, Anapuni808!
                            i'd say:

"acrylic, oil, and watercolor are examples of different types of media. my favorite medium is watercolor."

BUT:

"the media is complicit in not telling the real story about death in this war."

that's because when we use "media" to refer to the press, it is no longer your typical plural, as it was in my art medium/media example. it becomes a collective noun.

if my so-called expertise due to majoring in english is not convincing, perhaps the american heritage® book of english usage will be.

to get back to the OP's purpose...notice how a number of people from different regions (not just hawaii) pronounce "street" and "strawberry" as if there were an "h" in between the "s" and "t"?

other local-style pronunciations are "liebarry" (library) and "tursty" or "tursday" (thirsty, thursday).

kaonohi's lack of "r" story reminds me of my college boyfriend, who was a military brat. i remember laughing uncontrollably the first time he said "we need to "warsh" the car." his parents (originally south carolinians) pronounced it that way, too, except his mom's southern accent was much more obvious. i just googled "warsh the car" and found this rather interesting.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

you're both correct - thank you. I did forget that "media" was plural. It's been a long time since high school & my favorite English teacher!
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X