Merrie Monarch 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2009

Oh, yeah, Cherissa is my favorite!!! She is soo beautiful and elegant!! And I like how she did her hair, too.

I'm wondering...do all hula dancers have crazy long hair, or do you think some of them have extensions, falls, wigs, etc...
    Last edited by turtlegirl; April 17, 2009, 03:43 PM.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

When the kumu hula's are judged even on the way the knots are tied on the dancers skirts, I would doubt there is any fake hair to be found. Tonite's dancers especially are very careful to interpret their culture in an authentic way. That is part of the judging in the competition. Plus, it's just the pono way to perform the chants involved.

The Kahiko dances are my favorite part of the competition - I never miss this nite. My dream is to someday go to the festival & experience everything in person. I'm very jealous of my friends who are there right now.

TG - I hope you're enjoying watching. This is your first one yeah?
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

hooooooeeeeeyyyyyy! kapua's kane are hot, Hot, HOT!

at the half way mark on kahiko nite I have a star next to Kealii reichel's halau (they did not disappoint), the lim sister's halau (what did the grey hair on the sides represent? regardless, I love a good hula noho!) and ray fonseca's hometown hilo crew.

more great hula to follow intermission.
        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

anapuni808 re: sonny ching's halau. there was a problem with their kahiko as they were doing the same hula as another halau. the ai's submitted theirs first but under a different title. they didn't discover the duplication until after sonny's group were well into learning it. he then had to teach them another hula kahiko in less time. I'm sure they'll still be awesome but I thought that was interesting when I read it in the star-bulletin. the halau is staying @ KMC so I asked some of the wahine about it.
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

that will be very interesting to watch. Ching's halau is always so awesome in their dances! I used to know someone who danced for him - she said they all work so hard getting ready for the competition. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to have to learn a second hula!

I'm looking forward to Keali`i Reichel's auana tomorrow nite. On one of his albums, he does a song called "Lei Pikake" which always reminds me of Merrie Monarch. I wish that would be the one they perform!
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

ok, I've got a new fav for tonite! The De Rego halau just kicked butt! Those ladies were really fierce and really communicated the chant.
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

yes! de regos group got a BIG STAR next to their name in my program! that passion was almost haka like! mana wahine! wahine koa!

a'ole. no lei pikake tomorrow nite. reichel's auana is 'lei ho'oheno' written by kainani kahaunaele.

isn't it nice how the dalires are coming out for each other's halau. mom came onstage for daughters group.

Comment

ke kai o kahiki was AWESOME! i really can't wait to get home n watch that performance again in hd!

I loved the beautiful rainbow colored pau of halau hula olana.

sonny's girls were fantastic too!

what a great night!

I'm off to ken's pancake house to discuss those performances. my back is killing me!

Comment

yes - just to see those abs in HD - WOW!
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                      First of all, let's talk about the Kauai girl. I'm sorry Kumu Kapu, but what were you thinking? Kodak Hula Show THIS IS NOT. I'm having bad visuals of their auana costumes the last time they performed at MM. I was really hoping Kauai would step it up this year.

Kaholo and Cherissa were my favorites to win it all. Both did a remarkable job, worthy of praise.

I know that Aunty Nalani Kanaka'ole is a MM judge every now and then, but I noticed that this year's judges aren't your usual judges. I was expecting to see Frank Hewitt and Vicky Takamine, for sure.

And regarding the ire against Chinky Mahoe... How come Ray Fonseca gets to participate in MM even though he killed someone?

I've been very disconnected from my hula family lately because of work and life, so I'm very much not "in the know" this year. Hopefully that will change next year. For now, I'm just very excited it's happening again, and the HD's wonderful. It's like Christmas Morning.

Now where Tita Pua'i Mana'o?

You raaaaang....?

/Lurch

I will say that these last couple of years has given the world a distinctive display of an increase in hula quality: the research, the puana, the mana, the clarity of expressive interpretation. The level of competition has come up a definite step by ALL halau on ALL levels.

I am astounded, and I believe that this advance of quality starts with the research; the archaic gems in the archives are increasingly being made available through reprints and user-friendly museums/libraries.

Mad props.

pax

Comment

I'm back on Oahu @ Jammin Hawaiians @ the Shell. Fiji n Oshen r rockn the stage rite now. How's it going in Hilo? I'm rushing back 2 watch the heavyweights @ MM on TV when this is done.

Comment

I'm so happy 4 my boys ke kai o kahiki! kane kahiko winners, kane overall winners n OVERALL winners! Malie Tama Samoa... Choooooooo Hoooooooooo! They'll be celebrating in Waianae tonight!

Comment

We were able to watch a good deal of it on the KITV web feed but after a while the image and then the sound froze up so we could not see the conclusion, alas. Still, it is wonderful that people all over the world can see the Merrie Monarch.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                              I'm so happy 4 my boys ke kai o kahiki! kane kahiko winners, kane overall winners n OVERALL winners! Malie Tama Samoa... Choooooooo Hoooooooooo! They'll be celebrating in Waianae tonight!
                              nodsnodsnods

Obrien's boys had discussions of "Daddy, he don't know it yet, but that kane right there is your future son-in-law" cackling around the hale...

pax

Comment

The video of Ke Kai O Kahiki's hula kahiko is already on You Tube. I just can't stop watching it! What a procreation chant! After watching this sexy hula ohelo, I need a COLD shower and the morning after pill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xr1Wd17w-g

Seeing this performed live, I can tell you that every woman in that stadium had a BIG smile on her face at the end of it!

Comment

Working...
                                X