Gas Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas Prices

I live 2 miles from my work place and ride a scooter. 1 tankful (something like 1.7L) lasts me 2 weeks, including the occasional jaunt to the market. I even bought a rain suit so I can ride to work on rainy days. Takes a while to get ready, but I do get to work dry.

Right now, I'm tuning up a "new" bike so I can do some bike riding on nice days. Start getting some excercise.

Our second car now sits in the driveway and only used for picking up our daughter from school when Mom can't get off on time. Very seldom. I end up filling the tank only once a month.

Our Caravan get used daily by the wife. If she sticks to only the 10 mile round trip to school and back, we top off a half tank every 2 weeks. Unfortunately, we also drive out to the North Shore or Pearl City side for eating out and such.

Comment

I'm looking forward to $6/gal gas! We may really see some conservation by then! Will we soon all be asking why anyone thought a rail transit system was needed as the roads empty out?
      Last edited by salmoned; May 19, 2008, 01:01 PM.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        my friend's daughter owns a GEM. the one time she parked in a metered stall without paying, she got a ticket.
        I certainly hope she contested the ticket!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

These are posts I made on other forums. They are slightly out of context here given the specific discussions I took them from, but they all relate to gas prices.

Originally posted by zff
          Gas is too cheap, if you ask me.

Just look at what happened in 2005 when Katrina caused the price of gas to soar.

UPS installed a system that maps out the path for drivers to take when delivering their packages. The computerized path avoided left turns, and as a result, the company saved something like a million gallons of fuel every month. The technology had been around for years, so why didn't they do this before? Before Katrina hit, gas was cheap, so they didn't care that they were wasting it.

Katrina also caused sales of big SUVs to drop 15-25% per month, and sales of fuel-efficient small cars to increase the same amount. It turns out Americans didn't really need all that cargo and passenger space after all! Surprise!

2005 also saw a sharp increase in ride-sharing programs across the country.

These are all the things we were all supposed to be doing anyway! Companies like UPS shouldn't be wasting fuel. New car buyers shouldn't buy gas-guzzling SUVs if they don't need the room. People are supposed to be carpooling and using ride-sharing programs whenever possible in the first place!

When gas is cheap, we waste it. We practically throw it away, and we screw up our roads and our environment in the process. Here in Hawaii, it also means more cars are on the road, more of them will be big unnecessary SUVs, and traffic just gets worse.

Money is the only thing people listen to. Scientists and our government have been preaching this shit for years -- carpool, don't waste gas, use public transportation -- nobody listens. It's only when it hits the wallet that people notice.

So like I said, if gas hits $10/gal, I don't mind. It means fewer cars on the road, and way fewer SUVs. Good.
          Originally posted by zff
          If you ask me, gas is too cheap. It should be so expensive that most people can't afford to drive on a regular basis. The only problem is we don't have a public transportation infrastructure that provides a good alternative.

If they taxed our gas to the point where it's not affordable for most households, but they used all that extra tax revenue on an effective public transportation system, I think that would actually be a good idea.

Under MOST circumstances, people should be using public transportation. Right now we have to drive ourselves because there's no good public alternative, but do you really need to drive your own car everywhere you go?

If there was an effective way to get to 90% of the places you need to go, it was clean, safe, cheap and readily available... wouldn't you use it most times? I would. I would still have a car, of course, but I wouldn't use it nearly as often as I do now.

The only good way to get people to change their lifestyle in a capitalistic society is by charging them for behavior you want to curb and paying them (or reducing their costs) for behavior you want to encourage. The post above illustrates some of the problems when you try to regulate public behavior directly. Money is the only thing people honestly respond to.

Taxing gas to run an effective public transportation network has a lot of benefits. It affects public behavior without having to create additional laws, it provides the money needed for the system, it reduces traffic, it helps the environment, it's safer for the public, etc. The only thing bad about it is it requires people to change, and no one is going to vote for a public official that does that.
          Originally posted by zff
          When gas is expensive, companies will start to look for alternatives to using it. Right now, those alternatives are not cost effective, but if gas was $10 or more a gallon, they would be. Expensive but efficient shuttle and delivery services will begin to appear to consolidate transportation needs. Companies will be forced to use them to save money because it'll still be cheaper than burning gas in their own vehicles. Ride-sharing programs will crop up and people will use them. People will be forced to carpool or catch the bus.

$10/gal gas will cause all kind of changes. Companies will have to drastically change the way they do things, and so will individual families. None of these things are things we WANT to do. It'll all be things we HAVE to do. Once the initial whining and complain is over and people are used to the new standard of life, it'll be better for all of us in the long run.

It's happened before. For you younger ones here, ask your parents about the 70s oil crisis. Gas was so scarce, you could only fill your car on certain days depending on the last digit of your license plate -- and only if you had less than a quarter tank (they checked). It was a critical situation nationwide. Gas prices skyrocketed, we had runaway inflation, business had to completely change the way they did things, people lost their jobs, and society suffered in all kinds of ways.

The 70s were tough, but we got a lot of positive changes out of it. The government established fuel-efficiency standards for the auto industry. They encouraged ride-sharing by creating carpool lanes. Energy efficiency actually became an issue. Today, we might see these as baby steps, but they were epic changes in their day. Nobody in the 70s would have said the oil crisis was a good thing, but now -- 30 years later -- we can say our country is better because of it.

The situation today is no different -- in fact, it's not even as bad. Yet, just like the 70s, we have plenty of alarmists with their sky-is-falling ballyhooing and crybabies with their woe-is-me entitlement whining. Sure, it'll be tough for a while, but in the long run, $10/gal gas is probably a good thing. You guys need to open your eyes and see the big picture.

Comment

I run my Honda Civic 40 miles each day to and from work from Salt Lake to Kapolei, including a quick stopover to the babysitters in the neighborhood. At 34 miles/gallon (mostly freeway), I spend approximately $4.47 in gas/day, not including trips elsewhere during the course of the day.

I'm checking out some ground breaking technology in the area of boosting your vehicle's gas mileage. There's some awesome stuff coming out, which I beleive were and are being repressed by car manufacturers and oil companies. I say this because the technology is relatively simple. It seems these two are in cahoots with each other to make us burn a lot more fuel than we need to. Imagine if we could get a 100 miles/gallon. It's possible. Check out this website: http://bwt.jeffotto.com/, and click on "Technology Products", then select, "Better World Technologies". It speaks of a Hydro Fuel Cell and Catalytic converter you can install in any vehicle that may increase your gas mileage up to 100%. There are video demos as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              My Makaha to Waikiki commute now costs approx. $16./rt.[...]
              I grossly underestimated! I topped off the tank yesterday after the equivalent in miles of the Makaha/Waikiki round trip.

$24.
              $4.08/gal.

Thinking positively while staying in denial <g>, the 80 miles I put on my car prior to topping it off were all highway and hill driving...no freeway miles. Ooooh...that makes me feel so much better!

Comment

I haven't followed this whole thread so forgive me if someone already mentioned this, but... is there anyone who didn't think the prices would get jacked up for the holiday weekend? That was a no-brainer. No chance the prices wouldn't go up.
                Be interesting to see if they go back down a bit on Tuesday.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I figured I have no control over gas prices, but could hedge the cost by investing in an energy mutual fund (Fidelity Select Energy).

It's nearly doubled in value in the last 2 years.

I'm getting kicked in the teeth at the pump, but growing my retirement account by 5 times that.

Comment

Excellent idea!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Out of curiosity, what are people's thresholds here? Meaning, at what price point where you will simply say, forget it, I ain't driving and will walk, bus, etc?
                      Not sure. I've preferred walking or busing for years; my car is my "alternate" means of transportation, the one that I use for longer distances or for hauling gear or for late-night transport. (I bought it new 14 years ago, and it has only about 62,000 miles on it.) With gas over $4/gallon, I average about one fill-up a month, around $30 at a time. That's far below any threshold I can envision.

Comment

We're just a few pennies under $4 per gallon here on Oahu.
                        And in this morning's paper they said the island of Lanai is at $5!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          [...]With gas over $4/gallon, I average about one fill-up a month, around $30 at a time. That's far below any threshold I can envision.
                          Wow! that's a really small tank...probably around 8 gal. Jeez...that sounds good to me!

While I'm driving about 25% less than I did a year ago, with the higher gas prices it's still costing me more. Ya can't win for losin' nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Wow! that's a really small tank...probably around 8 gal.
                            Yep. 1994 Saturn SC-1.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              Out of curiosity, what are people's thresholds here? Meaning, at what price point where you will simply say, forget it, I ain't driving and will walk, bus, etc?
                              No threshold for us...

In the morning, the hubby drops off kids to school in Pearl City (from Ewa Beach) and then drives into town for work. Afternoons, I drive from Ewa Beach to Pearl City to pick the kids up from school and bring them home. it would be difficult to do on theBus (kids are too young to go alone) and obviously too far to walk.
                              I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

I'm watching KHNL news right now, and they just finished a story about how TheBus ridership is up, despite this -- the end of school -- being their traditional slowdown season.

These higher gas prices are working! We should be embracing this.

Comment

Working...
                                X