Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islands Ahoy
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

hello all, I am from CT and will be visiting Hawaii with my gf for our first time in Hawaii.

so, right now we have a few things booked.
in Maui, we have a cocktail cruise, a blue water rafting trip that includes snorkeling, swimming with turtles and some caves and thats along kanaio coast and molokini, some other boat trip I think, we will be flying in since the ferry is dry docked on the 14th and then taking the superferry back to Oahu, we also booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Then we will also take a trip ove to Hana highway which we hear is a nice day trip.

in Oahu, we plan to visit one of the many botanical gardens. (any suggestions)
also, visiting that tower thats wicked old, I forget the name.
also camping for a few days.

we also plan on wind surfing but dont know where the best place might be for that. (any suggestions)


so, as you can see we have a number of things planned but also plan to relax. it is a vac after all.

now, we also want to go hiking and one of the places we also want to climb is the "stairway to heaven". I have read up on it and what not, but have not read any articles updated this year. so, I was wondering what is the deal today, Jan 2009??

so, any and all suggestions of more things that we can do would be great. we def want to get some hiking in. I hear there is a nice big market in Oahu??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
LikaNui's Avatar
LikaNui LikaNui is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Smokin' in da windward crib
Posts: 6,721
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post
in Oahu, we plan to visit one of the many botanical gardens. (any suggestions)
I vote for the 400-acre Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden in Kaneohe, which you can check out at this link.

Quote:
also, visiting that tower thats wicked old, I forget the name.
I think you mean Aloha Tower? Click here and also click here.

Quote:
we also want to go hiking and one of the places we also want to climb is the "stairway to heaven". I have read up on it and what not, but have not read any articles updated this year. so, I was wondering what is the deal today, Jan 2009??
Closed. And patrolled for violators who try to sneak in. Don't try it.
You've got a lot of questions, and the good news is that most of them have been answered here before. Use the Search function. Have fun, and good luck!
__________________
.
.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by LikaNui; January 27th, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Menehune Man's Avatar
Menehune Man Menehune Man is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle of da ocean
Posts: 5,500
Thumbs up Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post
hello all, I am from CT and will be visiting Hawaii with my gf for our first time in Hawaii.

1)On Oahu, we plan to visit one of the many botanical gardens. (any suggestions)

2)we also plan on wind surfing but dont know where the best place might be for that. (any suggestions)

3)We def want to get some hiking in.
4)I hear there is a nice big market in Oahu??
Howzit! Wish you a Great time.
1) I suggest the Lyon Arboretum Link
It's a beautiful area!

2) Kailua beach and I believe there are rentals/lessons available. Link

3) There's good hikes at the Lyon arboretum and nearby is Manoa Falls even. Link

4) Maybe means the Swap meet (flea market) at the Aloha Stadium. Link

Enjoy!
__________________
Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
helen's Avatar
helen helen is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 9,864
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

For hiking on Oahu you might want to try Diamond Head Crater, not very long, go early in the morning and bring some water bottles for yourself.

View is from the top of the trail is very good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Barry Barry is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 817
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Hi,

Listen to the experts who live there. I only worked there on Oahu for several months at a time.
My favourite market/swap meet/car boot sale - is as the Admin says. Get a bus towards Pearl Harbour and the market is right outside the stadium. It is big !

Take a trip to the barefoot bar. Then to 'Duke's' statue. From there you can walk to Diamond Head (Depending upon how fit you are.) The views are tremendous.

I am certain that many members will give you better advice than me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:35 AM
acousticlady's Avatar
acousticlady acousticlady is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kihei -currently away at school in NY
Posts: 734
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post

so, right now we have a few things booked.
in Maui, we have a cocktail cruise, a blue water rafting trip that includes snorkeling, swimming with turtles and some caves and thats along kanaio coast and molokini, some other boat trip I think, we will be flying in since the ferry is dry docked on the 14th and then taking the superferry back to Oahu, we also booked the Old Lahaina Luau. Then we will also take a trip ove to Hana highway which we hear is a nice day trip.
Glad to hear you're going to Maui. It sounds like you are going to have a packed itinerary. Where will you be staying? The Old Lahaina Luau is great. The road to Hana is a must do. Plan on a full day and make sure you have a camera. Just a little note of warning on the blue water rafting trip. The Kanaio Coast is very rough water (think white water rafting) The ads make it sound like a serene trip though caves. I posted a picture of a calm day out there on the photo thread. Not for the faint of heart or someone who doesn't have their sea legs. But if you are up for an adventure, that is the place to go. Have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
pakelika's Avatar
pakelika pakelika is offline
Haumana
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pennsylvania - for now
Posts: 21
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

IMHO I think that anyone going to Oahu should take time and it only takes a little time, to visit Pearl Harbor Memorial. My wife and I tell anyone that visits with that it is something they need to do...we've been there eight times and it moves me every visit.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Menehune Man's Avatar
Menehune Man Menehune Man is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: middle of da ocean
Posts: 5,500
Thumbs up Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

My favorite place on Maui is Wai'anapanapa State Park!
It's along the road to Hana and just incredible!
Black sand beach cove, fresh water cave that you can swim in, and more...

There are many more links along the sides of this page too!
Wai'anapanapa State Park



I also like "Little Makena" beach, which is south of Kihei.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtNaVbeWEJI

Enjoy!
__________________
Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM
oggboy's Avatar
oggboy oggboy is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: kahului
Posts: 517
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Wind Surfing at Hookipa also a must while on Maui, first time here?, No Haleakala sunrise or set on your Maui trip!!!
__________________
bin dea-dunn dat.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Ron Whitfield Ron Whitfield is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,710
Default The wicked old tower...

Inner tube rides down the rivers/lava tubes/ag flumes is a winner and should be found on Maui, but maybe not Oahu. Google - tube rides hawaii - for the listings.

Pearl Harbor - get up early and plan to stay till closing. Be there when the place opens so you don't miss the Missourri (The Mighty Mo'), Bowfin (awesome WW2 sub), the new Ford Island Aircraft Museum, as well as the reflective time at the Arizona Memorial.

Ho'omaluhia Botanical Gardens in Kaneohe/Oahu is a must.

In lieu of hiking the Stairway To Heaven, take the easy time saver route and just hit the Pali Lookout.

I always suggest www.kualoaranch.com

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 28th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
cynsaligia's Avatar
cynsaligia cynsaligia is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
Posts: 1,715
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

mixedplatebroker and i went to maui for the second time in december. our favorite lahaina restaurant is mala tavern. here's a pic of their edamame guacamole and chips and my favorite dish there--the clams.

the big shopping thing you're asking about on oahu is one of two things: the aloha stadium flea market, which several others have described; or ala moana center, which used to be the largest outdoor mall in the world. ala moana center will be easy to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mala clams.jpg (36.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mala edamame guac.jpg (33.5 KB, 1 views)
__________________
superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM
turtlegirl's Avatar
turtlegirl turtlegirl is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kailua
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Have you kids ever windsurfed before? I mean, do you guys want a lesson, or are you ready to go after renting the gear. Depending on where and when you go, me and the bf would love to go with you! I like Kailua for windsurfing a LOT! Its perfect!

Have you thought about kayaking to the offshore islands? Super fun. Oh, except for that one time...
__________________
~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:26 PM
1stwahine's Avatar
1stwahine 1stwahine is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 9,517
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post
I hear there is a nice big market in Oahu??
If you're talking bout da one in Waikiki dats da famous International Market Place! I work there!
http://www.internationalmarketplacewaikiki.com/

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
__________________
Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
For hiking on Oahu you might want to try Diamond Head Crater, not very long, go early in the morning and bring some water bottles for yourself.

View is from the top of the trail is very good.
I have read about it a little. now we can go and hike that ourselves and dont need to do a tour, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
Glad to hear you're going to Maui. It sounds like you are going to have a packed itinerary. Where will you be staying? The Old Lahaina Luau is great. The road to Hana is a must do. Plan on a full day and make sure you have a camera. Just a little note of warning on the blue water rafting trip. The Kanaio Coast is very rough water (think white water rafting) The ads make it sound like a serene trip though caves. I posted a picture of a calm day out there on the photo thread. Not for the faint of heart or someone who doesn't have their sea legs. But if you are up for an adventure, that is the place to go. Have fun!
well, we will be on Oahu at first from the 10-13 and we will be staying at the Royal Grove, the reviews from people were really good.
then we fly over to Maui 14 to 19, since the ferry is dry docked until the 18th and there we will stay at a "Maui's Last Resort" its a hostel but we got a private room.
then we take the ferry back to Oahu and there we will camp at Malaekahana Campground for 2 days, and on the last night the gf wanted a "nice" place to sleep, so we got a room at the hilton hawaiian village, seemed like a good place I guess to veg out on the our last night and take in our experience in Hawaii.
if it was up to me, we would camp the whole time we are there. hehe
I am all for saving money when it comes to my sleeping quarters, aslong as it is safe and clean I am good to go!! its not like I plan to spend much if any time there!!

as for the rocky raft trip, all the rocker the merrier for us!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakelika View Post
IMHO I think that anyone going to Oahu should take time and it only takes a little time, to visit Pearl Harbor Memorial. My wife and I tell anyone that visits with that it is something they need to do...we've been there eight times and it moves me every visit.

Just a thought.
thanx but neither one of us is really into that. but if you have anything else in mind, please do share!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggboy View Post
Wind Surfing at Hookipa also a must while on Maui, first time here?, No Haleakala sunrise or set on your Maui trip!!!
what are you refering to about "Haleakala sunrise or set "??
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:16 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: The wicked old tower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post

In lieu of hiking the Stairway To Heaven, take the easy time saver route and just hit the Pali Lookout.
is the Pali lookout just another hike? a legal on compared to the "stairway"??
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
mixedplatebroker and i went to maui for the second time in december. our favorite lahaina restaurant is mala tavern. here's a pic of their edamame guacamole and chips and my favorite dish there--the clams.

the big shopping thing you're asking about on oahu is one of two things: the aloha stadium flea market, which several others have described; or ala moana center, which used to be the largest outdoor mall in the world. ala moana center will be easy to find.
ah nice nice, I had not heard about that outdoor mall yet or even came about it online yet!!

I think we will def stop by that tavern, I love clams, my gf loves guacamole, so I think even our meal has been picked out already, haha

one thing though, that guacamole looks like it is sitting in some brownish sauce, whats up with that? or is that just the pic?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Have you kids ever windsurfed before? I mean, do you guys want a lesson, or are you ready to go after renting the gear. Depending on where and when you go, me and the bf would love to go with you! I like Kailua for windsurfing a LOT! Its perfect!

Have you thought about kayaking to the offshore islands? Super fun. Oh, except for that one time...
no, neither one of us has ever wind surfed before.
you and your bf want to give us some free lessons?? hehe

and that just might work out since I dont think we have much planned for Oahu yet!

I did mention the kayaking to the offshore islands and my gf said she would only be worried, since she is not the best kayaker that we would be taken out into the middle of the ocean!! hehe
I think that might be the best part!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
If you're talking bout da one in Waikiki dats da famous International Market Place! I work there!
http://www.internationalmarketplacewaikiki.com/

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
hey Auntie, where do you work at the market place?

yeah, my gf has mentioned this a few times and we both love market's. always find lots of neat things at markets!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
LeMansGTi LeMansGTi is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

thanx for all the info and heads up people, if anything else comes to mind please do share!!

we greatly appreciate any and all info!!

cheers!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:53 PM
1stwahine's Avatar
1stwahine 1stwahine is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 9,517
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post
hey Auntie, where do you work at the market place?

yeah, my gf has mentioned this a few times and we both love market's. always find lots of neat things at markets!
I work Security.

Look foa the AKAL Podium. If I'm working I'll give you a personal tour. Choose a pearl and you may be lucky to find a rare beauty inside. Treasures galore await you at International Market Place!

Auntie Lynn

P.S. Don't forget the Auntie Pupule's Chinatown Tour!
__________________
Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Composite 2992 Composite 2992 is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 754
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Haleakala is the tallest summit on Maui. If you do catch the sunrise there, dress for freezing temps. No kidding. It gets down to 32 deg F and lower, especially recently. Every single person I warned, who hadn't taken the warning seriously, suffered.

When I go I dress as though I'm going skiing and I'm perfectly comfortable.

But plan on doing it only if the forecast is for clear skies. It can get shrouded in clouds, making you wonder if you're in Hawaii or New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
TATTRAT's Avatar
TATTRAT TATTRAT is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: missing the 808 in the 202
Posts: 1,488
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT
Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post
what are you refering to about "Haleakala sunrise or set "??

you NEED to do Haleakala!

Bundle up though as it is VERY cold.

if this doesn't convince you, I dunno what will

__________________
flickr

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
From: God
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell


--
God
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
maui, oahu

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

  Partner Sites: Hawaii Blog Hawaii News Hawaii Grinds Hawaii Social Media  
    Blogging the Aloha State. The Hawaii Star. Hawaii Food Blog. The story of Aloha 2.0.