Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 27th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Ali`i

Default Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Stuck in elevators, no water, no restaurants, no nothin'.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: So...I hear you guys get no power?

No forget dis:
http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...light=pandemic

It's not just for pandemics, but all kine.

(remember the toilet bucket!)
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Ali`i

Put on your Night Goggles!
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Ali`i

That's news to me. What happened?

EDIT: Ah here it is. http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../81226054/1352
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Ali`i

Here is the story.

Do I hear crickets on this site?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Kia`aina

Very nice to know:

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._disaster.html

Now, there's da story.
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Ali`i

It would have been embarrassing if the power was out for a few days, with Obama here and everything. Must not be fun, being his security detail, when the power is out.

Star gazing was a little fun, without all the light pollution. I tried taking a few long exposures of the stars, but it was cloudy in our area

Of course, people were bored and started popping fireworks. Poor firefighters were rushing all over the place. Maybe it wasn't so much fires but people stuck in elevators?

The cool thing about the power outage was to see how far my flashlight could throw It lit the side of a building about a 100 yards away. Once I did that, I saw other flashlights beaming around

The funny thing is how even the crazy people were quiet when the power was out. Perhaps they realized how dependent we are on electricity, and when it goes out for long periods of time, it's a Bad Thing.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Ali`i

Events like this should help people see that the GRID is an antiquated way of powering a community.

Independent, point sourced, power generation and storage is the wave of the future.

Solar Panels on every home, elec. storage in the garage, cell phones, satellite TV................

Pretty soon, no more power poles. And no cables in your sunset view.

The GRID is dying a slow, painful death.
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Ali`i

Power was restored to the Salt Lake area around 3 this morning. It was a pleasant sight to see our hallway light on and alarm clock blinking when we woke up 4 hours later!

Thanks to pzarquon and the rest of the Twitter faithful for keeping those without KSSK informed last night. I was one of the idiots who tried to go toward the light last night (Kapolei) only to see the lights go off as we were already on Makakilo Dr. Since we were desperate for food, we braved the roads to Bob's BBQ on Dillingham, but the lines went to the crosswalk! Finally made it back home around 9:30, but not after we were allowed into Safeway to buy the essentials. Mahalo to the awesome employees of Salt Lake Safeway for keeping things quick and organized. They were running on 45 percent last night, and even took all forms of payment.

Went to bed early, but not until after the BF decided to make shadow puppets on the high rise condo next to us, setting off howling dogs everywhere!

Cable and internet is still out. Per pzarquon's twitter updates, Mililani, Nuuanu, East Oahu, and I think the Windward Side are still out.

Hope all the HTers are okay!
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Kumu

Any ways I live here in snowy Utah and while at work I recieved this text by my dad stating hawaii had a black out. I started laughing and I know that was kind of mean but I text him back better a black out than a white out. Christmas was very beautiful no snow and later on at six a blizzard came plowing on through. My goodness the roadways were undriveable unless you like taking risk. I couldn't see through the fog and the snow coming down pretty hard. It caked on the roadways pretty good, so good that there were a few cars that spun out and went onto the side of the road. While that happened my furnace gave out cause the snow covered the pipe where the smoke can vent out so I like shivered through the whole night. Remembering all that crap I imagined myself back in the comfort of the island in a warm tropical black out. Made me miss it more and more. Oh well just my uneventful rantings don't mind me though.
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Exclamation Re: So...I hear you guys get no power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei Liko View Post
Thanks to pzarquon and the rest of the Twitter faithful for keeping those without KSSK informed last night.
I, on the other hand, want to thank Julia Norton Dennis and the KSSK crew for their excellent coverage. It was interesting to see the pandemonium around town last night. Congrats to KGMB9, who apparently learned their lesson from last time — this time they had backup generator power (and I guess, a fully-functional newscast for the handful on the leeward coast who had both electricity and cable).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Ali`i

What a fun power outage!! We had just gotten home when the power went, so we were a little disoriented for a minute, but we found the candles, flashlights, batteries, and beer pretty quickly in the dark.

Ate some Christmas leftovers (thanks, SG!) by candlelight, then we did what you do when the neighborhood is dark - go walk around!! It was fun to meet up with other neighbors who had the same idea. By the time we were mostway down the street it became obvious that nobody had power as far as we could see, which was Waimanalo to MCBH.

Went to the car and hung out in the driveway, charging cellphones, drinking beer, listening to KSSK. I'd like to thank KSSK too, their coverage of the events was super informative, even funny sometimes. I loved the 'man on the street' reports. After Mufi's 12 hour estimate report, we got the portable radio and moved the party to the patio. Some neighbor shot a bunch of very pretty fireworks, and there were tons of not so pretty very loud fireworks all over here.

After more beer, we thought it would be fun to call some of our friends and see what they were doing. I was so surprised - most of the people I talked to had no idea what was going on - so we started relaying info whenever new news came across the radio. Ate more leftovers, laughed at some of the kooks who were calling the station, watched amazing lightning, generally it was a really fun night!

Our power came back on sometime around 6 this morning. Yay! Daytime with no power is not as much fun...
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ali`i

Yeah, it was fun to stand outside looking at the stars and chatting a little with neighbors. My young nephew was at a loss as to what to do without the tv, computer, and such but we had a good time especially because our family members were all home and safe.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Ali`i

Spent the evening reading and playing board games with our daughter. Went to bed just when P&P decided to leave the rest of the evening to the regular crew, around 11ish. Wife said the power went back on around 2am.

Funny thing is that electric storm passed right over us. That last lightning strike was the brightest and loudest, then the lights went out. There was no more thunder after that. Totally silent. Then of course the neighbors with crap for brains started lighting off their damned aerials. Was almost like New Year's Eve out here.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
Then of course the neighbors with crap for brains started lighting off their damned aerials. Was almost like New Year's Eve out here.
On the bright side, the neigbors depleted their fireworks supplies last night, so maybe New Year's will be less of a war zone.
Old December 27th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Kumu

As soon as the power went out last night I grabbed my headlamp and we got the battery powered lanterns turned on.

I set aside 6 gallons of water right away. There's a portable toilet system available. And I always have more than a dozen MREs always handy.

We hadn't had dinner so leftovers were warmed up on a butane stove.

I got the refrigerator on a generator right away and stuck a digital thermometer probe into the freezer to monitor the internal temp without having to open the door. Turned off the generator at 9 pm to save gas and was going to turn it back on once the freezer got to 30 degrees.

When I checked the temp at 5 am it was at 28 degrees. Then I noticed the streetlamps were on. So I plugged the fridge back into the wall socket. End of crisis.

My 4-year-old granddaughter was chatting away and playing with a cardboard tube, so she didn't miss not having a TV.

It's situations like these which make me think about how much power do we really need to get by. Except that everything I do is on a computer. And the other things I do require power tools.
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Ali`i

Props to whoever made sure cells phones still worked during the outage. I don't remember if they went out during our last big blackout. It was good to be able to touch base with my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei Liko View Post
the BF decided to make shadow puppets on the high rise condo next to us, setting off howling dogs everywhere!
LOL. Wish I had thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
While that happened my furnace gave out cause the snow covered the pipe where the smoke can vent out so I like shivered through the whole night.
Sup Pedro. Long time no see. Anyways, bummer about the furnace. An outage on the mainland, during winter, can be deadly. My in-laws have an oil furnace, which doesn't require electricity, but the fans which distribute the heat throughout the house do

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
I, on the other hand, want to thank Julia Norton Dennis and the KSSK crew for their excellent coverage.
Cool. Sadly we did not have a radio with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
Yeah, it was fun to stand outside looking at the stars and chatting a little with neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
It was fun to meet up with other neighbors who had the same idea.
Nothing like a "disaster" to make neighbors socialize more. I'm glad cold beer was on your safety checklist, TG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
Spent the evening reading and playing board games with our daughter.
Our kids were scared, so we spent most of the evening talking about the outage. Kids held up pretty well, until our youngest cried when she realized she couldn't drink any milk, just water. The straw which broke the camel's back and all that. After that we played some Uno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
As soon as the power went out last night I grabbed my headlamp
/salute Composite for being prepared

More than the portable generators and MREs, the headlamp shows you're a survivalist. It's important to have light, but it's even better to have two hands free while you use it.

I myself was not well prepared. I even forgot to fill the bath tub with water. My friend on the mainland has a gravity operated water filtration system, which can process a gazillion gallons of water a second. It's also sized to fit the bed of his truck, in case they have to evacuate. Katrina scared him.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old December 27th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
the headlamp shows you're a survivalist. It's important to have light, but it's even better to have two hands free while you use it.
Nah... just a former Boy Scout. I do quite a bit of work at night so the headlamp is part of my standard equipment. Besides, trying to hold a Maglite in my mouth gets really tough after a few minutes! :-)
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

I was walking from Ala Moana Shopping Center and was noticing the lightning flashes in the north west, no thunder.

I got home just around 6:30, turned on the laptop and went to the bathroom, then I noticed one of the lights was getting dimmer, then noticed the rest of the apartment in the dark, except for the laptop.

Managed to find the small maglight on my table thanks to the glow of the laptop. Did notice the maglight batteries was kind of weak and lucky I just purchased a stash of AA alkalines from Costco so I managed to change the batteries for it.

Managed to find another AA powered maglight, another D flashight but those batteries were kind of weak. I know that I have another AA flashlight but I couldn't find that.

Did try to turn on the radio, KUMU was the off the air, couldn't remember KSSK's frequency at first but managed to find that. After about 2 hours or so the signal went dead, turns out the KSSK FM transimitter had no power, but managed to get the AM signal.

Power came back on to my area around 11:30 am or so.
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM
sansei

Unhappy Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

hi this is sansei and last night as my mom and i were watching the end of wheel of fortune,we lost our power and our power didnt come on till about 8:00 Am and my Vcr worked only the the tv's didnt work until 11:45 am and my computer went on and now im back online and it was no fun in the dark with nothing to watch or do so i went to bed at 11:00 Pm and so did my mom.

I Also at about 7:30 Pm spoke to one of the heco people and they shared used their stress on myself and so this morning at about 6:40 Am,i called Heco and the gentleman who spoke to me when i explained what happened,he shared with me that no customer repersenative shouldnt let the customer know of their stress so the gentleman customer service shared how sorry he was for the customer service lady that she let me know of her stress so i said that's ok,everyone could be this way and he shared your very understanding so im now watching Kbfd tv and it's very relaxing.

Well thank's for your time
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Last night's experience convinced me that the major media outlets need to be on Twitter all the time if they are serious about covering news in a timely fashion. I respect KSSK (even if some of its personalities, including the much-respected Ms. Dennis, irritate the heck out of me), but it was the combination of information from the radio and messages from friends on Twitter that kept me as informed as I needed to be.

Official responses were slow in coming at first, yet I knew from Twitter what the power situation was all over the island and was able to contribute some information myself. KSSK's touted posse has nothing on Twitter, because so many of the callers were people who had working phones but no working radios! That meant these people were calling in to GET information, not mostly to report it. Most of the early callers were asking the station what was going on.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Mike Buck handled the KSSK microphone in the early hours of this thing, while Perry and Price were still on their way in. You know what to expect from Perry and Price because they've done this a hundred times. Buck did a great job with what he had, even chiding idiot callers who had stupid comments. I was amused and impressed.
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Mike Buck handled the KSSK microphone in the early hours of this thing, while Perry and Price were still on their way in. You know what to expect from Perry and Price because they've done this a hundred times. Buck did a great job with what he had, even chiding idiot callers who had stupid comments. I was amused and impressed.
Michael W. Perry did a great job handling that idiot from Akron, OH.
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Old December 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: *** Power Outages ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguy View Post
Any comments are MORE than welcome!
Yeah - why not put this in the already-existing thread about the power outage?
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ali`i

Smile Re: Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Hey, Did you all have flashlights? &/or candles?

I sure hope so.

I ended up frantically looking (before the lights went out), for a flash light. Good thing we still have a good pair of D batteries. I stole that from my near by table that we use the batteries to air up our airbed & placed it inside my flash light to work.

Then I was so thankfull, I found some candles that I got on my wedding day (2002), it was suppose to be used for some kind of romatic thing with my husband, but GAWD!!. I don't use that kind of crap to romance my hubby, I got my own special way . I was just glad that those candles I NEVER used, actually came in handy for once in the in the power outages . Hale Luja!!. So remember, ladies, if you don't have candles, those romantic candles that you never use, will actualy come in handy.lol.

Hope everyone is ok now.

I hope & pray that the electricity NEVER goes out again.

I listened to the radio for a little bit, earlier. & it was kinda funny, that in a humorous way that they were actualy blaming the menehunes for the power outages, & they said that the menehunes conspired all to cut off our electricities last night.lol. Alrighty, then. lol.

I got scared of the Thunder. OMG!!. the last time I heard something like that, was when I was younger too. :-(

My hubby was trying to get home early evening, too. (he worked earlier in the day).

I was invited to go to Ala Moana yesterday early in the day, I kept procrastinating, cuz I didn't want to be in the after christmas sale.

Then it started to rain!. Oh My Gosh!!., So, I just cancelled it, & staid home.

Good thing too. My hubby was glad that I staid home, cuz he would have been frantic looking for me (& so would I too) :-(.

I was suppose to meet up with my 2 deaf friends in Ala Moana, but I never did, & all the while, they were both texting me ("where are you?", etc). I already told one of my 2 deaf friends that I was at home & wanted to cancel, & my 2nd deaf friend (texted) asked me again. lol. Oh My Gosh!!., it was like the blind leading the blind with those two.lol.

I like them a lot but, they make me laugh sometimes.lol.

I'm just glad that the power came back on for all of us. Thank God!!. Thank you for those Electricitiy guys to make it happen!!.

Well....

Thats my story, I'm sticking to it.

lol.

Aloha.

Last edited by Serenity; December 27th, 2008 at 06:20 PM.