Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: President Barack Obama!

President-elect Obama isn't president yet. There are still a few months in which President Bush can do something monumentally stupid to further bankrupt the nation.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Luna

all i have to say right now is, Jesus Christ! are you that freaking blind and lemming"ific" that you can so easily blame the recent failures on GW?

Please do me a favor, especially you Buzz (only b/c you're the most recent poster) and understand why the US is where it is today.

Think about NAFTA and Clinton's bringing to fruit the laissez faire lending standards. These planted the seeds to our economic collapse. Or we can sit around and blame Bush because we are unintelligent enough to not see the forest through the trees.

I should probably stop posting, but I won't. BTW, how about McCain's concession speech? He deserves props - so does Obama, cause his speech pretty much freaking rocked. And I'm not an Obama-mite!

RC
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Ali`i

Good Luck, Mr. President-Elect! I, like many others, wish you a long and prosperous term.

( Does it feel like 1976 to anyone else? And I voted Democrat in THAT election.)

I have to admit he is gloriously gifted as a speaker. Let's hope his picks for cabinet and staff are as gifted.

BTW; to y'all who are ready to be funded by the concept of "redistribution;" remember that social programs require past tax forms and documentation of need; gotta be needy for a while before that outstretched hand gets any bucks. That is, unless things change. Until then, TK, I think I can spare a quarter for a beer. That way I get to choose where my funds go....
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
[...]
Pardon me Tutusue, my beer is getting short, and my pockets even shorter.... would you be so kind as to REDISTRIBUTE some of your income to cover my next tall, frosty, beer? I knew that you would, you fantastic Obama lover. Oh, this is so excellent.[...]
I'll be happy to cover a tall, frosty beer for you, TK, but it won't be your next one. You see, my income's been cut in half, the other half going to line the pockets of those Wall St. CEOs and their golden parachutes. That certainly wasn't Obama's fault now, was it...

In the meantime it appears you're doing your own redistribution of...sour grapes. Even McCain showed class tonight.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why are we so naive that we think a President can solve our problems?
Seeing how W put us in Iraq which is costing us $9 Billion each month, well, I can be optomistic enough to think that the next president will do as much in the opposite direction and begin to extricate us from the mess we're currently in.

And, as Obama said, this "win" isn't for him. It's for all of us. It's for the citizens of the US who are the true owners of this country.

Political power has always supposed to have been of the people, for the people and by the people. It was institutions such as Homeland Security that started to make governmental power "in spite of the people."

Maybe some of that gets set right again.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Kumu

quietly and humbly places mccain sign off to the side

*double and triple sighs*
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Penance View Post

You forgot your plate of crow. You can eat it now or maybe later.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Penance View Post

I'll look forward to buying you a beer some day, SP. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Aaaaaw, WB...methinks that's a more appropriate reply for timkona.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
i had that shortly after the results...thank you very much Walkoff Balk
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I'm all FOR Income Redistribution. In fact, I forced a couple of lib friends at the bar tonight buy me my beers just to prove they support the new president. This promises to be a boon to my bar bill......simply to ask people to put their money where their mouth is. Salut!

Unlike some scumbags I have seen with a "He's not my President" bumper sticker on their car, I promise to be supportive of our new President, President Barack Obama. Hooray !! Bring on the Income Redistribution.

Pardon me Tutusue, my beer is getting short, and my pockets even shorter.... would you be so kind as to REDISTRIBUTE some of your income to cover my next tall, frosty, beer? I knew that you would, you fantastic Obama lover. Oh, this is so excellent.

Who's next?? Come on folks...Show your pride.

I'm truly gonna love the next 4 years.
Glad you are in support of "income redistribution." Because that is the system we have been living under for many years now, in case you haven't noticed. What is social security, if not income redistribution?

Heck, if you or any relative of yours have received any assistance from Medicare and/or Medicaid, then congrats! You are the beneficiary of income redistribution.

Welcome to the wonders of the American mixed economy.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Ali`i

A few thoughts :

The great thing about the speech last night by Obama was that it was consistent with his demeanor throughout the campaign.

It was not a celebratory victory speech.

It was not overjoyed or overwrought with bliss for "winning". He was like always he always is in his public apppearances. Composed, steady, determined, serious, compassionate, humble, and best of all...positive. That was what struck me most about it, despite the fact that it could have easily been overly celebratory....especially with what....150 thousand people going insane for him.

That's the thing I really like about Barack Obama, and that's one of the things that made me vote for him.

Second thing : The media is obviously making a huge deal out of the fact that he is the first black president, and that IS a huge deal, but he really is born of diversity.

A Black/African father, a white American mother.
He lived in Indonesia for 6 years of his childhood, then returned to Hawaii...undisputedly the most racially diverse state in the USA. He is true a product of racial diversity...he had no choice in the matter, and racial tolerance isn't something he had to learn, like most of us...he had to LIVE it...from day one of his life. These are the things that shaped him as a person.

So, really he is closer to what America is supposed to represent, but so far has failed to do so. He is a bridge between white and black America, because he is both white AND black.

So, this is a GIANT step for our country, and I'm glad was alive to witness it.

Anyway, there's my $.02
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Ali`i

Anyone want to see what real "income redistribution" is about? Read this and kick in. Contribute the price of a few beers, maybe...
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
He is true a product of racial diversity

So, really he is closer to what America is supposed to represent, but so far has failed to do so. He is a bridge between white and black America, because he is both white AND black.
Matapule agrees with you TY. This was not a victory for black America. It was not a victory for white America. It was a victory for divesity and tolerance for the whole world.

I could not help but noticing the difference in the crowds between the McCain and Obama locations. Which crowd looked like the REAL America? The Obama crowd is the one I am used to mingling with day to day and the one I would have felt more comfortable in.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Ali`i

All that Income Redistribution last night has given me a slight headache this morning.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
All that Income Redistribution last night has given me a slight headache this morning.
One word for ya: "glurg."
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
You make over $250K annually? Your tax rate will go up from 36% to 39%. That means that on an income of $250K you will pay $7,500 more in income tax. There goes ALL your beer money!

I am taking the money I would have used to buy you a beer and giving it to the mythical welfare recipient who drives the Escalade. He needs a beer more than you do.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Kumu

*sighs*

............................period!
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Ali`i

Only a few loose ends to tidy up after this historic moment and the opportunities it offers:
Ted Stevens GO TO JAIL ALREADY!
Al Franken lost by a razor thin margin, w/automatic re-count
What happened to the Big Island pot bill? Not one mention in the morning dailys or radio last night.

BTW, TK, here's your beer, bottom's up!
What? It's beer... trust me... it is... come on, here's a lime, kill it!
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Kumu

Newsweek has a great series of articles about the campaign. The stories were embargoed until today. Check them out.

There was a lot more hatred directed toward the Obamas than we saw. And I'm still concerned for his safety today. I keep thinking about what happened to both Kennedy brothers and Martin Luther King.

Anyone noticed the heavy glass on either side of Obama's stage?
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
I wondered why just to the sides?
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Ali`i

No Mata, I do not make $250k. That's why I get to be on the receiving end of the redistribution. On top of that, folks who voted Obama have clearly indicated their desire to have their incomes redistributed. So step up Dems, put your money where your mouth is, buy me whatever I ask for, cuz that's about the only way you gonna shut me up for the next 4 years. Reminds me of the old saw about "Careful what you wish for." After all, I'm not the one who favors redistibution, but I will support the policies of our new President-Elect. I just hope all the folks who voted for Obama will support his policies also.

And on a positive note, I had a wonderful conversation about the desire for racial diversity with a man from Hawaii who supports Sovereignty. He realized in a flash of insight why the racial/ethnic component of the SovMov is its' largest problem. There is a difference between a Hawaiian Nation, and a Nation of Hawaii. Obama's election will cast a bright spotlight upon racial ethnocentrism, highlighting its' sinister idealogies. Kau Inoa, OHA, DHHL, Kamehameha Schools, are but a few of the institutions that are likely to suffer at the hands of diversity.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Luna

President Obama is our HOPE for the future for our country and the world Many countries rely on our aid, security, economies, and diplomacy. IMO - he is the person who can unite other countries together to solve so many of the blunders that are happening today in foregin affairs.

His bi-racial background is appealing to many since he comes from mid-western roots with domestic and foreign blood. The experiences that he shares have graced the lands of Hawai'i, Indonesia, and Africa, while identifying with the average joe to the under-privileged. He is my Tiger Woods is to the sport of golf

Imua Obama
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
Newsweek has a great series of articles about the campaign. The stories were embargoed until today. Check them out.

There was a lot more hatred directed toward the Obamas than we saw. And I'm still concerned for his safety today. I keep thinking about what happened to both Kennedy brothers and Martin Luther King.

Yes, that is a HUGE concern. It's 2008 and still this stuff continues to rear it's ugly head. We still have a long way to go.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
I wondered why just to the sides?
That helps protect him from three sides: the back of the stage, and the two unframed bullet-resistant glass panels. The front is left open as a concession only. If the Secret Service had their way, he would be totally enclosed in glass.

By having only the front open the Secret Service can concentrate their protection in a narrower zone. They can keep a very sharp eye on the crowd and place agents on every possible vantage point within that zone.

The glass on the sides were probably left unframed for aesthetic reasons only. And they're able to deflect a rifle bullet enough to spoil someone's aim. It would give the agents enough time to get Obama out of harm's way.

There are still lots of people out there who fear and hate non-whites. And they probably haven't heard the message that Obama wants to include everyone -- including them -- in the plans to rebuild America.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Ali`i

A message of inclusion, of everyone. I love that part of this new President's agenda. Down with racism, racial ethnocentrism, race based decision making, racial slurs, race baiting, and racial preference.

I saw Sen Akaka interviewed beaming about the Akaka Bill and how Obama will help the cause. Does that jive with the notion of inclusion? Methinks not.

There is one race. It's called HUMAN. The rest is culture.

The minute you think your ethnicity is special or somehow deserving for any reason, you have betrayed Obama.

Obama's election is proof that anybody can make it. No crutches needed.

Last edited by timkona; November 5th, 2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: One last thought