Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Birthday Party advice!

Hello all!

I'm trying to plan a birthday party for my boyfriend and need some advice. Where in Waikiki and Honolulu is a good place to organize this? I'm looking for some dinner arrangements for about 8-9 people and then later on hitting some clubs around town. Now my budget is $1000 maximum. Boyfriend likes Japanese cuisine also italian. I was thinking Indigo's but don't know how expensive that would be. Do u know of any cool, entertaining and also cheap places to have group dinners at? Do restaurants offer group discounts?

Also I'm from Europe and don't know what the customs here are for parties and such. Do u usually pay for the whole menu for every person including drinks for everyone or can I have a menu set and prepaid... also should I pay the entry fees for clubs for everyone as well or is it no big deal if each one pays for themselves or how does this work... sorry

I'm a bit clueless and nervous but i really want it to be a fun night for my boyfriend and his friends and family.
    Any help will be very appreciated!

Aloha!

Re: Need Birthday Party advice!

You could probably pick up the dinner tab (you said 8-9 people, $1000 max), including drinks, without a problem. But, to additionally "then later on hitting some clubs around town", well, you could be beyond your $1000 budget before you knew what hit you. Choose your restaurant carefully - I've been to dinners and seen "guests" who have ordered way over $100 per person just on dinner and drinks alone!! Adding on clubbing, too ...??

Your willingness to spend $1000 on a "boyfriend's" birthday party is very generous!! That must be a very special boyfriend.

Comment

I hosted a surprise birthday party for my better half's 50th birthday back in 2000 at Hanaki's in the Manoa Marketplace. Spent just under $1000, tax and tip included, for 35 people. They have a Japanese buffet (sushi, sashimi) + other standard buffet items. Reduced prices for seniors and children. Only a few drinkers in the crowd, though.

I've hosted other dinner parties for eight at the Parc Cafe for $350, drinks included, but I believe they discontinued their buffet format sometime last year.

Comment

I, personally, would have no problem telling guests that I was picking up the dinner and drink tab at the restaurant but that clubbing was "no host"! I love Indigo's but it's not Italian or Japanese! Regardless of the restaurant you choose, if it's Indigo's or one of equal caliber, I'd try to get a pre-set menu with a few entree choices, and offer preselected bottles of wine. If you know you're under budget and a guest wants something other than wine then that can be added to your tab. If you're at budget with your preselections then guests should be told up front that you're paying for the wine. Beyond that is no host.

As SouthKona mentioned...that must be one special boyfriend! I see nothing wrong with offering to pay for part of the evening but not the entire evening.

If you want to pay for the entire evening then...dinner at La Mariana and clubbing at Anna Banana's!

Comment

When I read Japanese and Italian, my first thought was Angelo Pietro's. I like the place, but it's not exactly a hip or happening restaurant, nor near any particularly notable nightlife (unless you count strip clubs!).

Comment

Working...
          X