Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Laboratory
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Keiki

Default naturopathic/holistic medicine

Aloha......Can anyone recommend or know of a good, reputable naturopathic doctor here in Hawaii?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: naturopathic/holistic medicine

Aren't those words mutually exclusive?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

I don't know if you can call them "doctors," but if there's a licensing requirement for naturopathy, it's a fair bit above mere quackery.

naturopathy - n. pl. A system of therapy that relies on natural remedies, such as sunlight supplemented with diet and massage, to treat illness.

Maybe you can contact the Hawaii Society of Naturopathic Physicians? They have a member listing online. I like the last link on their website menu: "Eh You Like Practice Hawaii?"
Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Keiki

Quackery or not, I'd rather go au naturale then be constantly medicated by mainstream practitioners.......take two motrin and don't call me in the morning.....if you come back I'll give you a higher dosage, or better yet, here's some "anti"biotics for whatever the heck's wrong w/you..........NO THANKS!
Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhromeo
Quackery or not, I'd rather go au naturale then be constantly medicated by mainstream practitioners.......take two motrin and don't call me in the morning.....if you come back I'll give you a higher dosage, or better yet, here's some "anti"biotics for whatever the heck's wrong w/you..........NO THANKS!
Err... and what's wrong with that approach?
Old September 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Note I didn't call it quackery. There are members of my family that believe quite strongly in things like "giving light" and other nontraditional health practices, and as long as they're healthy and happy, I can't say anything.

I figure there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the services of both conventional Western medicine as well as naturopathic/holistic practitioners. Frankly, when you're sick, you'll often take any relief you can get.

Choosing one or the other exclusively is another matter. I suppose we could let Darwin's theory determine which form of medicine is superior. I might just be a brainwashed stooge of the medical industry, but if I ever am stricken with a brain tumor or a sucking flesh wound, I'll want more than a handful of herbs and a new age CD.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Keiki

Hawaii Society of Naturopathic Physicians
P.O. Box 542
Kailua, HI 96734
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Keiki

Aloha mmhromeo,
i am a student of naturopathy and have researched some naturopaths here in Hawaii and I highly recomend Dr. Thauna Abrian in Manoa. Check her out at her website http://www.drthauna.com Her site is really informational and I think she's really good and professional. Has good credits too!
Good Luck with your search!
Aloha!
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Keiki

thanks for the recommendation!
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:06 AM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhromeo
Aloha......Can anyone recommend or know of a good, reputable naturopathic doctor here in Hawaii?
Take a look through Hawaii's all inclusive on-line guide to health resources: http://www.hawaiihealthguide.com

You will find several local naturopathic physicians listed in the Physicians directory along with bios and photos.

Good Health to You.