Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should New Years fireworks be banned?
Yes, only professional displays should be allowed 13 50.00%
No, everyone should be allowed to use fireworks 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
The level of air pollution in my neck of the island is about 50% of it's 'before ban' concentration - not much of an improvement.
Where's that? While there were a few, and I do mean a few fireworks, the only significant amount of smoke I saw was the Aloha Tower display.

All in all, it was darn quiet in the Honolulu area.
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
AFAIAC, the blood of those 5 men are on the hands of the importers, distributors, sellers,... and yes, the customers of illegal fireworks.
From what I've read, I'd assign half the responsibility to them.

The reports I heard/read indicated that they were working on the fireworks in the storage area. A big no-no because if anything goes wrong, it goes very wrong.

Either way, it did demonstrate how dangerous a stockpile of fireworks is.
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM
Keiki

Hooray for the Honolulu City Council! Thank you for successfully making this officially THE worst New Year's Eve ever. MAJOR BORE.

So glad they were able to keep those CRIMINAL children's sparklers and fountains off of the mean streets of Oahu. We'd hate to see anyone have some actual... fun.

From the looks of it, the entire city was in bed by 10 p.m. That is, except for the people shooting off all those aerial fireworks throughout town. I loved the beautiful display of illegal aerials lighting the skyline. Wait a second - I thought those were the REAL fire hazards. Glad to see them out in full force!

This entire law is a JOKE. The only thing it managed to accomplish was to put a major damper on New Year's Eve on the island of Oahu.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:38 AM
Ali`i

I have to say I agree! My neighbors were shooting off fireworks all nite and it was as it should be. Yes, it was noisy and Yes, it was not exactly what I would wish ----but it was what I expected and I wouldn't want it any different. They shot off their fireworks until midnite and now it is quiet. I didn't complain and they had fun. What is the harm in that? I really wish the mainland folks who just don't get it would just take their life styles and go back to the mainland and stop complaining about our ways of doing things.

Last edited by anapuni808; January 1st, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ali`i

Myopic much?
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni Boy View Post
This ban sucks. It will be the worst New Year's Eve ever. Hawaii is no longer Hawaii... ...Disgusting.
Sorry you're bummed about it. But your post is so full of bs and misplaced blame that it leaves you no credibility.
I think this is a topic that will always have supporters on both sides so I'll just agree to disagree.
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
I really wish the mainland folks who just don't get it would just take their life styles and go back to the mainland and stop complaining about our ways of doing things.
Do you really believe it's just 'mainland' folks?
I know of many locals that aren't in to the personal use of fireworks.
Me being one.
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
Sorry you're bummed about it. But your post is so full of bs and misplaced blame that it leaves you no credibility.
I think this is a topic that will always have supporters on both sides so I'll just agree to disagree.
Ditto from me on all counts. Also, note that Keoni Boy has been a member here for 5 1/2 years, but his two recent posts in this thread are the only ones he's ever posted. Interesting. [/shrug]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Ali`i

Dudes, take your chill pills and just relax. whatever I may say on here is just not that important to bring out all this hostility! Happy New Year to you all.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Ali`i

Smile Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

I was staying near Maunawili for NYE, and had A really nice time! I LOOOOOVE fireworks, but I appreciate that I didn't have to deal with those panic- inducing explosions all week long!! Some neighbors had lotsa firecrackers and minor "sparkly aerial things" in the street, and that was great. I could see the legal fireworks show by Kailua, and didn't have to cut thru smoke at 1am to find the apartment. Win! Bonus - the neighbors had all swept up that red paper debris from the street as soon as all their fireworks pau. Nice!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 01:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Where's that? While there were a few, and I do mean a few fireworks, the only significant amount of smoke I saw was the Aloha Tower display.

All in all, it was darn quiet in the Honolulu area.
Ewa Beach. Big booms/flashes started at 5pm went on til after 2am, accompanied by the usual aerials and asthma-inducing flowers, cones, sparklers and firecracker strings. Had the usual strays today, too. News was police and firefighters reported an average level of fireworks were displayed with no arrests and the hope that all the 'old' fireworks have now been used up - lol.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
They shot off their fireworks until midnite and now it is quiet. I didn't complain and they had fun. What is the harm in that? I really wish the mainland folks who just don't get it would just take their life styles and go back to the mainland and stop complaining about our ways of doing things.
Did you know:

Quote:
About 4.3% of Hawaiians have asthma; children have the highest rates. Native Hawaiians and Part-Hawaiians had the highest prevalence rate compared to the other racial groups.
Now knowing that, is the possibility of it being a HAWAIIAN that has a life-threatening asthma attack enough of a danger that you'd change to supporting cleaner air - every day of the year, even New Years Eve?

Asthma in Children in Hawaii

Happy New Year 2012 to all!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Ali`i

And besides the Kaneohe man who suffered extensive 3rd degree burns on Saturday night while lighting an illegal aerial , let's certainly not forget the 12-year-old girl who was seriously injured at Kualoa Park by fireworks Saturday night.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:16 AM
Luna

Thumbs down Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

The fun police have won again. I've lived here since 1968 and this NYE was as boring as possible, even with a few illegals in the valley. The vog from Pele is much worse than any NYE possible. Do we outlaw her?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:43 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo lolo View Post
The fun police have won again.

I've lived here since 1968

this NYE was as boring as possible

The vog from Pele is much worse than any NYE possible. Do we outlaw her?
I'd say sensibility and communities have won, finally. These last few years have been a real relief.

Then you've had plenty years of whiz bang buzz bomb fun. Time to grow up.

That's on you. I had an entertaining evening at home, and didn't celebrate a lick.

I've been trapped in town with massive amounts of fireworks smoke that would make Pele envious, a few times, nearly unable to breath at all and requiring a week to recoup. Just once is all you need to experience that kind of danger to say pau!

The onshore breeze kept me stinky smoke free all night long as the silliness went on downwind and again made this new year quite pleasent.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:38 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
The fun police have won again. I've lived here since 1968 and this NYE was as boring as possible, even with a few illegals in the valley. The vog from Pele is much worse than any NYE possible. Do we outlaw her?
With that sort of logic in mind: lightening strikes cause fires, so should we allow arsonists to start fires if it is fun for them?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Ali`i

Maybe it's an 'embracing change' kind of thing? Change happens.
Sometimes we don't like the effects and sometimes we do.
It's okay to have any kind of New Years Celebration with friends and family you wish, though sans fireworks at home. At times even seeing the professional displays from the party!

Growing up here I too used fireworks... but really just wanted them to blow up my G.I. Joe's.

I've just seen over the years the difficulty the smoke causes for many here so think it should stop. So this is why I feel strongly on this.

Much aloha and Happy New Years too!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Growing up here I too used fireworks... but really just wanted them to blow up my G.I. Joe's
It must be a boy thing ... my son dismantled his fair share of little plastic soldiers too.

Quote:
I've just seen over the years the difficulty the smoke causes for many here so think it should stop. So this is why I feel strongly on this.
Kudos on putting a priority on thinking about the health of others!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni Boy View Post
So glad they were able to keep those CRIMINAL children's sparklers and fountains off of the mean streets of Oahu. We'd hate to see anyone have some actual... fun.
Sparklers don't generate noise, but they sure create a lot of smoke. A lot more than firecrackers, rockets, or anything else.

In fact, the relative absence of sparklers was why the air on Oahu was much clearer, compared to past NYEs.

Quote:
Maybe it's an 'embracing change' kind of thing? Change happens.
Sometimes we don't like the effects and sometimes we do.
It's okay to have any kind of New Years Celebration with friends and family you wish, though sans fireworks at home. At times even seeing the professional displays from the party!

Lord forbid that asthmatics are able to ring in the New Years w/o hacking and coughing incessantly, since they are getting in the way of other people having their... fun.

Quote:
Much aloha and Happy New Years too!
You're very gracious and diplomatic, MM. My response to these pro-fireworks crybabies would be something along the lines of:

Hey, celebrating NYE with fireworks started in China. If you love that tradition so much, then go live over there. See ya, and Gung Hei Fat Choy!

Last edited by Frankie's Market; January 3rd, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Luna

Question Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

So we're still at the question, is one night of fireworks worse than the long-lasting vog? Frankly, I'd be more worried about the GMO food you're buying and eating daily.

Last edited by Palolo lolo; January 4th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
So we're still at the question, is one night of fireworks worse than the long-lasting vog? Frankly, I'd be more worried about the GMO food you're buying and eating daily.
I don't see it as a question of which is "worse". Yes, heavy vog is indeed unhealthy to breath, to the point that asthmatic children on the Big Island are encouraged to restrict their outdoor activities on high-vog-level days. But, that there is "baaaad vog" does not at all negate the importance of trying for the cleanest environment possible, including not allowing a hazardous level of fireworks smoke on NY Eve. Just because there is vog is no reason to not try for clean air.

Yes, GMO food is of concern. But that still does not mean we should allow excessive air pollution on NY eve.
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Ali`i

The online StarBulletin reports today:

Quote:
Fireworks-related injuries during the New Year's celebration plummeted statewide largely due to the fireworks ban on Oahu.

Twenty-five injuries occurred from Dec. 31 to Jan. 2, the lowest number of injuries since the Department of Health's Injury Prevention and Control Program started gathering statistics on such injuries in 2000. Dan Galanis, epidemiologist for the Injury Prevention Program, said the significant decrease was largely due to the ban in Honolulu, where injuries dropped to 15 from 79, also the lowest since the start of the statistics gathering.
Cleaner air, and now a reporting of less injuries. Sounds great!

My new year wish: a safe, happy, and healthy 2012 to all.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Ali`i

Guess we'll have to move to the mainland, or wherever, now to get them good ol' injuries and home fires like we used to have.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:28 AM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Post-ban, injuries from fireworks were again down this year. For background, you'll recall last years stats: "the significant decrease was largely due to the ban in Honolulu, where injuries dropped to 15 from 79". This year:

Quote:
According to HFD, there were five probable fireworks-related injuries: one in Hawaii Kai, one in Waipahu, and three in Kalihi. The three victims in Kalihi suffered injuries from one incident.
Quote:
In all of the cases, the victims lit aerials or homemade devices.
More good news, fires from fireworks decreased this year, too.

Quote:
Last year, HFD reported 22 fireworks-related fires. This time around, only six were reported for the holiday. Firefighters also responded to a small house fire in Kalihi. A child playing with fireworks caused the fire.
It would be interesting to see a study of air quality for New Years Eve this year, compared to past years, but I have not seen anything yet about that.

The fireworks ban has been good for prevention of injuries, and good for prevention of fires.

Happy 2013 everyone! Wishing you the best of health and happiness.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:21 AM
Ali`i

If you want noise without the danger of fireworks (fire, injury) there are alternatives.

One is called a "Big Bang" cannon, which used water and calcium carbide as fuel, and a sparking mechanism for ignition. The Calcium carbide in water releases acetylene gas, which when ignited created a boom equivalent to ariel fireworks (but no display).
Check them out online http://www.bigbangcannons.com/.

Another alternative, if you have an acetylene torch, is to get a carpet tube or a fabric tube - a thick cardboard tube several feet long - and block up one end with padding (newspaper works fine) and seal it tight with duct tape. Perforate the tube near the closed end - similar to an old-type cannon ignition hole. Using your torch (do NOT use oxy-ace, as it may blow your tube apart), place the nozzle in the hole and release unignited gas.

You have to experiment: too little will make only a small 'pop', too much will do the same. I would start with about 20 seconds of gas, and adjust up or down from there - each tube will be different - until you reach the optimum 'BOOM!'

Stick a sparker or long ended lighter into the hole when you are ready and pull the trigger. Additionally you can engineer other firing devices, such as electrical at the end of a long wire.

Notes: acetylene is heavier than air, so point the open end toward the sky.
Ensure that you don't use too much gas, as it is the air-fuel mixture that makes the explosion.
These devices are relatively safe; they will not cause a fire, but I recommend the person closest to the device wear earplugs for safety. It is VERY loud.

I've been doing this in Kahalu`u for 20 years with no complaints, and as far as I can tell it is not illegal, as it is not a firework. My police neighbors laughed, were amazed at the ingenuity, and said they knew of no statute except "excessive noise," so on firework holidays there should be no problem. If in doubt, check with the police or a lawyer.

Enjoy your holiday safely.