Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Night Clubs from the Past

From what I can recall, and it isn't very much (due to tequila and many sharp blows to the head):

MASQUERADE - There was a sister club attached to it... Phaze? Can't remember. But Masquerade played regular top 40 hits while "on the other side of the door" they did the new wave stuff.

PINK'S GARAGE - The original warehouse club in Honolulu. Good concerts there. I got a black eye in a mosh pit at the VooDoo Glow Skulls concert.

HAMBURGER MARY's - Hamburgers up front, but in the rear... Dirty Mary's. After HM closed, Hula's took over the spot and knocked a hole in the wall between the two clubs. Renamed HM as Trixx, which, in keeping with the HM tradition, featured a deli up front and dancing in the back.

WORLD CAFE - Their old Nimitz digs were formerly The Groove and After Dark Hawaii. Funny thing, no matter what it was called, there was never a shortage of stabbings, etc.

GINZA WEST - Behind the World Cafe/Groove location on Nimitz was a collection of Japanese bars and clubs hoping to capitalize on the popular Tokyo area of the same name.

TRAPPER'S - Became KENTO'S in the early 90's. A Japanese chain which featured a live band that played 50's and 60's music. The regular house band in the Waikiki club was Jeff Burton and the Corvettes. Jeff's dad was James Burton, Elvis Presley's guitarist, and Jeff had skills on the axe too.

SLOPPY JOE's/FAT TUESDAY - Before becoming Waterfront Cafe, the Sloppy Joe's/Fat Tuesday space was home to Buffalo Bud's. Cleverly named for their buffalo burgers and a not-so-subtle attempt to suck up to the local Anheuser Busch distributor.

PIRATE BULLY HAYES - Good call on remembering this one, PCMike. It remains the only club in Hawaii I can recall that had a hand grenade attack.

RENI'S - Roger Mosley (TC from Magnum P.I.) opened this club in the Pearl City area. Was it the same space as Bully Hayes was in? I don't know, but it certainly suffered the same fate.

FERDINAND'S - Thanks for bringing that one up, oceanpacific! On Kuhio, it was a Mexican restaurant and for years was home to entertainer Freddie Morris.

Comment

We should do a thread of restaurants too. Paul you mentioned some of those places which made me think of some favorite restaurants such as Spindrifter in Kahala Mall.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pure Platinum! Thanks, that was the gentleman's club we went to a few times. We took a friend there for his bachelor party. They sat him in a chair on stage and 3 pretty strippers reached in his pants and gave him an atomic wedgie! Yes, strips of his underwear hung from the sides. Later we went across the street to Scruples and he got into a fight. Some blonde guy walked into him roughly and didn't say sorry. Blows were exchanged and I pulled the guy up off the floor while he was on my other friend and he raised his hands in surrender. Cops came and spoke to us outside, no one was arrested.

I may have gone into Phase just once, we mostly went into the Masquerades side between 1986 and 1987. I remember seeing the music videos of You Spin Me Round and Fight For Your Right to Party in there on the big screen.

I've heard of Trappers and a few of these other places, don't remember going there. My nightclub adventures only began in 1981 when I was 20.

That's funny, Susie. I did the exact same thing with the razor blade. Got into all kinds of places when my license expired. Got busted with it at the Pearl City DMV though. The old Japanese lady read me the riot act, but that's all I got was confiscation of bogus license and a lecture.

Okay thanks Craig, now I know where Rock-Za was. A strip bar that used to be Stoplight. Went there a few times in the 90's during my strip bar faze.

Paul Ogata... the comedian? My friend Zal and her sister Renette speak highly of you. Reni's - I remember the name, I think it was a separate entity than Bully's...can't remember where. Cutter Ford side in Pearl City or somewhere up and down Kam Hwy.

Hamburger Mary's and Hula's - I stayed away from these places. I had enough fruits flirting at me in the early 80's. Didn't want to add to those experiences, thanks.

I used to work in Restaurant Row in the late 90's and we sometimes went to Pink Cadillac. There was also a Karaoke Bar in "The Row" but I forgot the name. We went there almost every night. No blows to the head - must've been that double bourbon shot that killed off a good sized brain cell.

Jilly's was the place that seemed to have a lot of fights. The per capita of scraps there per times I went was something like 98.2%. Now, every time I hear a celebrity on the news having a bar altercation I picture the inside of Jilly's!

Point After mostly had fights on Sat-Sun when 2 guys bumped into each other in that maddening sardine-can. Then the lights whould flash - signalling the bouncers of a fight. They'd all push through everyone and take the scrappers outside.

I forgot to list Shorebirds even though I only dropped off a girl friend there once and I never went in.
        Last edited by PearlCityMike; March 16, 2008, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          In goes the hard boiled egg and out it goes, patooyee!
          Didn't Club Hubba Hubba on Hotel Street pioneer that move? Smoking cigarettes, too.

Ah, Pure Platinum. That's the name. Then it became Deja Vu.

One of the most classic Korean bar names had to be this one that used to be located across McKinley High School on Kapiolani Blvd. named Club Ugly. I kid you not! What the hell?

And what's with Korean bars always using the name "Club _______"? When you see Rumours suddenly called "Club Rumours", you know it's a KB.

There was another KB across Ala Moana Shopping Center on the same street named Club Don't Tell Your Mama. Must have been an oasis for cheating spouses.

Famous catch-phrase: "Buy me do-link-ee".

Back to non-KB places, there was a nightclub in Kalihi on Waikamilo road on the ground floor of an office building across the fire station towards the corner of Nimitz highway named Mustang. This was several years ago. I think it's a restaurant now.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here's another one, this one from way back.
            FORBIDDEN CITY--It was the first night club I ever went to, and a strip club at that. I was just out of high school, and a friend of mine was back on R and R from Vietnam. We also went to ARIRANG, the first hostess club I ever went to.

From previous posts here, I also have fond memories of BOBBY McGEE'S, SPINDRIFTER and the STOP LIGHT (I remember a bartendress there).

Others to add the list (I know, I go back a few years)--RENDEVOUS and SIR JOHN'S.

Comment

Club Jubilee on Dillingham every Friday night at table 1.

Comment

I've been reading this thread like the last time with a BIG SMILE.

I'm innocent....very INNOCENT.

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Walmart on Koreamoku street to have coupons printed on the back of the receipt for "50% OFF! Drinks and Pupus at Club KB". After all, the Koreamoku Walmart is literally surrounded by KBs. Makes sense. Take care of the community. Common' Walmart, get with the program!
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    I've been reading this thread like the last time with a BIG SMILE.

I'm innocent....very INNOCENT.

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn

Eh Auntie...NO ACK!!! You was dea yeah?

Oh talk about beefs. One night my friend told me this one guy was hitting on his girlfriend and wanted to beef him in the bathroom at Bobby McGee's. He pointed out da bugga and before he knew it I was in there slapping this guy silly. I came out ready to talk to my friend when he said it was okay because that guy was his girlfriend's cousin or something like that.

Okay...I told him I had to go and gave him some money to pay for my drink that was still pending from the bar.

Another time my friend Timmy and I went to Bobby McGee's and from across the very loud dance floor I saw him walk up to this pretty girl. She shook her head telling him "NO". Now Timmy's a pretty intense guy and thru all the loud music and laughter, I heard Timmy yell out, "What...$50" and turned away from an astonished and very embarrassed young local girl.

I tell you we was some bad buggahs back then.

Comment

BOBBY McGEE'S - I recall that their wait staff wore various costumes: the guy in the baseball uniform was dubbed MICKEY MANGO. Remember any of the other characters?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Eh Auntie...NO ACK!!! You was dea yeah?

Oh talk about beefs.
                        heheheh

Da stories I could tell.

Those were the days. We fought and den we became great friends. The young days...heheheh. OMG I laugh at the memories.

Thank you so very much, all of you for making me remember such a awesome time of my Life.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Night Clubs from the Past: Bobby McGee's

One of the bartenders at Bobby McGee's used to work with me part-time at Hawaiian Airlines. He made BANK $$$ working at Bobby's. He lived in Lanikai.

IIRC, Bobby's bartenders wore a white long sleeve dress shirt, black slacks and red suspenders, and the waitresses wore a black very short miniskirt blouse with black nylons. Or was it a bikini-style bodysuit with black nylons? Something sexy like that.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            BOBBY McGEE'S - I recall that their wait staff wore various costumes: the guy in the baseball uniform was dubbed MICKEY MANGO. Remember any of the other characters?
                            Isis...yeah she was hot!

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                              Paul Ogata... the comedian? My friend Zal and her sister Renette speak highly of you. Reni's - I remember the name, I think it was a separate entity than Bully's...can't remember where. Cutter Ford side in Pearl City or somewhere up and down Kam Hwy.
                              Yeah, I'm that guy. Reni's was on Kuahao Pl. (?) off of Kaahumanu and was visible from Moanalua Rd. I never went to Bully's, but wasn't it in that same area?

I used to work in Restaurant Row in the late 90's and we sometimes went to Pink Cadillac. There was also a Karaoke Bar in "The Row" but I forgot the name. We went there almost every night. No blows to the head - must've been that double bourbon shot that killed off a good sized brain cell.
                              Star Factory was a karaoke joint at Restaurant Row. But after dinner, a bunch of places offered karaoke, such as Captain Jack's.

Jilly's was the place that seemed to have a lot of fights...

Point After mostly had fights on Sat-Sun when 2 guys bumped into each other in that maddening sardine-can.
                              Funny, but I never saw a fight at Hula's. Not to say there weren't ever any fights, but it certainly seemed like a much safer/mellower spot than other clubs. (I worked as Promotions Director for the company that owned Hula's and Wave Waikiki. Good times. And, oh, the stories... )

Comment

Well at Studebakers the waitresses wore bobby sox and cheerleader outfits with short fluted skirts. Okay I'm sure Stacey Loe's gonna hate me for bringing up her past as a waitress there and I'm still waiting for KGMB to play Bob Seger's Old Time Rock and Roll after she does the news just to see if she'll instinctively jump on top of the news desk and shake it up for the guys the way she (and the entire wait staff) did at Studebakers on the counters.

And I did mention the short fluted skirts right (looking upwards)

Comment

Working...
                                X