Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by GiftedThunder View Post
    When you check out Walgreens don't expect it to be much different than Longs. Unless of course, you find convenience "different."
    You're starting to sound like a Walgreens PR flack. Guess you missed the part of my post where I stated that Longs IS convenient... for me.

You also conveniently ignored my question about salaries. How, exactly, do you know that Walgreens will pay more than Longs? Do you work in HR at Walgreens? Do you have some sort of insider information for a business concern that hasn't even opened yet here on Oahu? Do you even live in Hawaii?

Like I said before: I'll go to Walgreens and check it out, but until they open a store right by my house (like the THREE locations that Longs has nearby), I'm not going to go out of my way to shop there.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      You're starting to sound like a Walgreens PR flack.
      You noticed that too.

Gifted, a friendly tip: Walgreens bashing Longs isn't going to get them anywhere. That may play well in some parts of the country, but not here. Stick to emphasizing "serving the people of Hawaii". If they are good, they'll attract the traffic they deserve. But if they get into anything that resembles trash talk, the people will hold it against them and they'll have to be that much better to attract customers.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I disagree about the pharmacy, though. There's ALWAYS a line at the pharmacy. The pharmacy is a BIG draw for people. It gets a lot of people in the stores, and then it keeps them there while they wait for their prescriptions.
        Let me put the question this way: what percentage of people leaving the store have done a transaction in the pharmacy - either dropping off a order or picking one up? It's significant, but I'll bet it's less then 50%.

Comment

Sure, it's gotta be much less than half. But it's still a meaningful number, I'd bet. Especially when you're talking about prescriptions, and in neighborhoods with lots of elderly, such as mine. That's a regular visit.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Like I posted before, this is an area I really don't care about.

But for the sake of the argument... if Walgreen's is as good as they are with prescription medicine, I think they might take some of that niche away from Longs.

I think it's much, much less than 50% of their total business... which does matter.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Longs WILL do just fine; the question is not whether Longs will hang on -- I think it undoubtedly will. The question is whether or not Walgreen's can succeed in taking a meaningful portion of the market from Longs where other drugstores have failed.
              An interesting debate... for the most part. Put me down as being slightly more pessimistic about Longs' prospects in a Walgreens market. Especially if they do well enough to realize their broader plan to match Longs' locations one to one. I agree that convenience counts for a lot, but so do prices and services... and while I'll concede that as few as half of Longs' customers are pharmacy customers, I'd bet the pharmacy is a bigger part of their overall revenue than most of us are estimating.

I mean, Walgreens has drive-through pharmacy services, along with the other internet-enabled drug goodies. People go out of their way to not get out of their car... I'm always curious how many Starbucks people drive past to get to a Starbucks with a drive through!

I almost never go to Longs Drugs, now, unless I'm standing right next to one (i.e. Manoa Marketplace). And I used to buy almost everything there. Prices are a big part of that. I also have a less rosy estimation of the overall corporate culture, though, I guess. They don't get as much "local company" and "small company" juju that I used to ascribe to them.

If I'm going to shop at a major chain and go to hell, it might as well be WalMart or Costco. Or Walgreens. The Longs in Mililani definitely suffers given the proximity of Walmart, and I suspect if a Walgreens pops up (maybe in retail starved Mililani Mauka), life will get even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                People go out of their way to not get out of their car... I'm always curious how many Starbucks people drive past to get to a Starbucks with a drive through!
                Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm the opposite. I hate sitting in the car with the engine idling. I'd rather park and go inside then sit in a line. I'm one of those who will go to where I know I can find a stall rather then fight everyone for a stall close to the store.

The only way I'd use a drive though is 1) The line is really short or 2) I'm sick and avoiding contact with others.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm more likely to use a pharmacy drive-though then a fast food one.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm the opposite. I hate sitting in the car with the engine idling. I'd rather park and go inside then sit in a line. I'm one of those who will go to where I know I can find a stall rather then fight everyone for a stall close to the store.

The only way I'd use a drive though is 1) The line is really short or 2) I'm sick and avoiding contact with others.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm more likely to use a pharmacy drive-though then a fast food one.
                  A pharmacy drive-thru works well for those who are indeed sick and aren't up to or don't want to get out of the car. I don't think this will be a major advantage over Longs. If the drive-thru becomes hugely successful, what's to stop Longs from reconfiguring some of their stores with a drive-thru? I've already seen one in SoCal.

If anything, I just see Walgreen's entry into the market as a catalyst for Longs to address any areas that need improvement.

Comment

I'm a drive thru person! Jamba Juice on the corner of Ward and Auahi offers curbside pick-up...just call in an order 5 or so minutes before! Yes, the height of laziness but a help when muscles are talking back! Foodland Beretania used to offer online grocery shopping with drive thru pick-up. I loved that!

I normally combine shopping with Rx pick-up so Walgreen's drive thru probably won't see much of me but it is a handy service...just in case.

I wonder if Waianae will get a Walgreens.

Starbuck's has drive thrus?

Comment

Will Walgreen's sell prescriptions to Kaiser Health plan members?
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                        Will Walgreen's sell prescriptions to Kaiser Health plan members?
                        Finding out is as easy as placing a call to a Walgreens pharmacy anywhere in the United States, or logging on to Walgreens.com and browsing their convenient database of online information. Also, with Walgreens drive-thru pharmacies, you can call in a prescription refill, or have your doctor call in a new prescription, and then you can drive thru and pick it up without having to wait in the store at all! Also, if your doctor's office is not close to home, you can drop off your prescription at a Walgreens near the Doctor's office and ask to have it ready at the store near your house. That way, when you get to that Walgreens, it may already be ready for you!
                        It's services like these that will make people change from other pharmacies to Walgreens.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                          You're starting to sound like a Walgreens PR flack.
                          Well, a photo technician is not a PR guy, but he does work there. The tone of that last post sent me scurrying for Google.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I'm a drive thru person! Jamba Juice on the corner of Ward and Auahi offers curbside pick-up...just call in an order 5 or so minutes before!

Not to get too far off-topic er anything, but before that Jamba Juice moved from their old location down the street a year or so ago, I heard that it was the most profitable Jamba location in the world. I wonder if that's still true? They seem to be busy all the time, that's fer sure, although we prefer the Jamba on Kuhio in Waikiki.

Aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              I don't see why they need to demolish the old Tower Records because it seems it could be ready for Walgreens and all they would have to do is put in a drive-thru. But they probably want to establish themselves on its own and do a good job since this will be the first location. I am impressed they can finish this in 90 days, but I think that is all it takes for a new McDonalds to be built as well.

Aj

Walgreen's has a standard style that have been using for all their new stores these last many hears - even the interiors are the same, . In this respect, they're like McDonalds - they want to be identified right away, by sight. And, they will give poor ol' Longs a run for their money, that's fer sure.

I'm just wondering where everyone's going to park. It's bad enough in that neighborhood already, and I don't think Walmart/Sam's is gonna like people using their lot, especially since they got their own drug operation there. Should be inneresting.

Aloha.

Comment

I like Longs; I was pleased when they took over most of the Drug Emporium stores in the Puget Sound region, and disappointed when they mostly failed. Longs is a regular stop for many items when we are with family in Kane`ohe.

And my daughter worked for Walgreen's for the last several years, as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. I'm still not a Walgreen's fan. (And don't get me started on how badly they screwed up important photos of ours - at a store in Des Moines, Iowa, not GiftedThunder's San Antonio one.)

Comment

Working...
                                X