Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Sign of the times....

A few days ago, this Walgreens' sign was slapped in front of the old Tower Records ghost on Keeaumoku St.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Love the assumption that hostile business ethics is exclusive to Mainland companies, and is totally foreign to Island businesses...
      ...and perhaps this shows that the afore-mentioned assumption is a wee bit inaccurate?
      No, it's not exclusive. But it IS the exception to the norm for a locally-owned business.

Not like you would know, sitting in front of a computer screen thousands of miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Sign of the times....

A few days ago, this Walgreens' sign was slapped in front of the old Tower Records ghost on Keeaumoku St.

Was that blue ALWAYS been there?!?!?
        Last time I saw ol Tower Records was ummmmmmm Tannish/Grey lookin

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
          No, it's not exclusive. But it IS the exception to the norm for a locally-owned business.
          That's a good way of putting it. An aggressive local-style might be to advertise low prices, or to say things about "the other guys". But to come out and say we're after your beloved store...

Time will tell. I don't think that was a fatal move, but if they keep that up they may find people less willing to shop there.

As for the parallels with Wal-Mart, I don't see any. Wal-Mart advertises low prices. They don't bash anyone.

Comment

Well, the question is, what exactly is going on. All I can find out is that Walgreens is going to pick up the lease, but what is the lease? Just the land or are they leasing the buildings? That's going to limit what they can do.[/quote]

Walgreens always leases the land they build their stores on. The reason behind this is because they demolish the building on the land, and build the new store from the ground up. If the store does not meet quota, they can always sell the land and not end up stuck with a store that is not profitable, i.e. Walmart. From day 1 to the finished product, it takes approximately 90 days for a store to open. Once you see the concrete foundation, prepare to see the open doors in 90 days.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
              only 1550 or so of the 5500 stores nationwide are 24-hour operations. the one next to ala moana probably will be so that it can optimize the heavy traffic that flows through the area. does anyone know if they will be redoing the structure of the building to make it look more like a prototypical walgreens (entrance on one corner, with the Rx opposite the entrance) or will they just move in as it is?
              Why Walgreens will put Longs out of business and thrive in Hawaii:

1. They will stay open 24x7 because Longs can't afford it, and they can.
              2. They can afford to lowball prices on all items because their income is not based solely on how much they bring in from revenue in just Hawaii.
              3. They offer convenient services such as prescription transfers over the phone, Pharmacist consultations, Prescription Flavorings, Automatic Refills, Drive thru Pharmacies, and great customer service.
              4. Walgreens will provide more jobs, at better pay than Longs.
              5. Walgreens accepts all major insurance plans, and can also run an automated plan to find out which prescription coverage plan is best for your needs free of charge.

Honestly, I don't think Longs will be able to compete with Walgreens. Wal-Mart will stay because they can afford to, but eventually Walgreens will take over. Contrary to popular belief, Walgreens does have good customer service, and if you encounter someone who doesn't provide it, just tell the manager, they are trained to take care of situations like that.

Comment

Originally posted by GiftedThunder View Post
                Walgreens always leases the land they build their stores on. The reason behind this is because they demolish the building on the land, and build the new store from the ground up. If the store does not meet quota, they can always sell the land and not end up stuck with a store that is not profitable, i.e. Walmart. From day 1 to the finished product, it takes approximately 90 days for a store to open. Once you see the concrete foundation, prepare to see the open doors in 90 days.

Sorry but you lost me back there. Walgreens always leases the land yet if a store does not meet quota, they sell the land which they don't own? Or do you mean prematurely terminate the land lease and sell the store?

Comment

They are obviously going to tear down Kam Bowl, but does anyone know if they are going to use the existing Tower Records building structore as the new Walgreens? Would be much faster if they did it that way.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    Sorry but you lost me back there. Walgreens always leases the land yet if a store does not meet quota, they sell the land which they don't own? Or do you mean prematurely terminate the land lease and sell the store?
                    They prematurely terminate the land lease and sell the store.

Comment

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      They are obviously going to tear down Kam Bowl, but does anyone know if they are going to use the existing Tower Records building structore as the new Walgreens? Would be much faster if they did it that way.

Aj
                      They will always raze the building that is on the land they take. Every walgreens is built as a new building unless it is purchased as part of a giant superstructure, I.E. a mall, downtown building etc. I don't think that 90 days is a long time to wait for a store to open.

Comment

I don't see why they need to demolish the old Tower Records because it seems it could be ready for Walgreens and all they would have to do is put in a drive-thru. But they probably want to establish themselves on its own and do a good job since this will be the first location. I am impressed they can finish this in 90 days, but I think that is all it takes for a new McDonalds to be built as well.

Aj

Comment

1. They will stay open 24x7 because Longs can't afford it, and they can.
                          Longs already does stay open 24/7 at the Pali and S. King stores. Good enough for me.

2. They can afford to lowball prices on all items because their income is not based solely on how much they bring in from revenue in just Hawaii.
                          Longs also operates in California. Not just Hawaii.

3. They offer convenient services such as prescription transfers over the phone, Pharmacist consultations, Prescription Flavorings, Automatic Refills, Drive thru Pharmacies, and great customer service.
                          Not a big selling point for me. Don't care.

4. Walgreens will provide more jobs, at better pay than Longs.
                          And you know this how, exactly?

5. Walgreens accepts all major insurance plans, and can also run an automated plan to find out which prescription coverage plan is best for your needs free of charge.
                          Again, not a big selling point. Don't care.

Honestly, I don't think Longs will be able to compete with Walgreens. Wal-Mart will stay because they can afford to, but eventually Walgreens will take over. Contrary to popular belief, Walgreens does have good customer service, and if you encounter someone who doesn't provide it, just tell the manager, they are trained to take care of situations like that.
                          Honestly, I think Longs will do just fine. They have history here. I'll go check out Walgreens, but it's more convenient for me to shop at Longs.

Comment

Longs already does stay open 24/7 at the Pali and S. King stores. Good enough for me.

Two stores may be enough for you, But what about everyone else?

Longs also operates in California. Not just Hawaii.

Walgreens is also growing in California, Longs isn't.

Not a big selling point for me. Don't care.

Again, maybe not for you, but for everyone else, including elderly people.

And you know this how, exactly?

40 stores is more than 39, which equates to better jobs, which Walgreens can afford to pay more to?

Again, not a big selling point. Don't care.

Once again, your opinion, not others.

Honestly, I think Longs will do just fine. They have history here. I'll go check out Walgreens, but it's more convenient for me to shop at Longs.
                            When you check out Walgreens don't expect it to be much different than Longs. Unless of course, you find convenience "different."

Comment

When you check out Walgreens don't expect it to be much different than Longs. Unless of course, you find convenience "different."
                              How is Longs "inconvenient"? How many of Long's customers go there for prescription drugs in the first place? I think the pharmacy is a small part of Long's operations.

Comment

Also in Pearl City. Good enough for me, too.

Longs WILL do just fine; the question is not whether Longs will hang on -- I think it undoubtedly will. The question is whether or not Walgreen's can succeed in taking a meaningful portion of the market from Longs where other drugstores have failed.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                                How is Longs "inconvenient"? How many of Long's customers go there for prescription drugs in the first place? I think the pharmacy is a small part of Long's operations.
                                Yeah. How is Longs inconvenient? One of the best things about it is its convenience. I disagree about the pharmacy, though. There's ALWAYS a line at the pharmacy. The pharmacy is a BIG draw for people. It gets a lot of people in the stores, and then it keeps them there while they wait for their prescriptions. In fact, that right there is the one aspect of Longs that I think is inconvenient. Drive-through prescription pickup? Awesome.

My neighborhood Longs has a parking structure that always has plenty of parking, but it bottlenecks right in front of the Longs (the layout of this parking lot and its parking structure is ridiculous), sometimes out to the street so that even though there's LOTS of parking, it takes you too long to get to it. The Walgreen's that's going up across the street is right on the corner of a busy intersection, with at least three entrances, depending on how they lay out the parking lot. In this case, it is going to be MUCH more convenient than getting parking at Longs. This is one reason I'm looking forward to it.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X