Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should New Years fireworks be banned?
Yes, only professional displays should be allowed 13 50.00%
No, everyone should be allowed to use fireworks 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31st, 2008, 03:39 AM
Ali`i

Default Ban New Years fireworks?

Do you think fireworks should be banned for the public's use, and only professional firework displays allowed? Why yes or why not?

By the way, this is my second "poll", and for this one I am opting for posters to identify themselves. In part because I am interested in where the opinions are coming from - here in Hawaii (those who actually live with the experience of New Years fireworks), or mainland/other places where the opinions might be based upon completely different experiences than what happens here with fireworks.

New Year fireworks .... love 'em or ban 'em?
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:44 AM
Ali`i

Post Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

I'm truly in favor of a 'Ban' for private fireworks.

Hate (strong word, I know) the smoke, noise, and possibilities of fires.
It's terrible for asthmatics and others with breathing problems, animals, small kine kids, and me!

Go for the Fireworks shows. IMO
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Given the effectiveness of the ban on aerials, do you think it will make any difference?

Or will this be about as effective as the war on drugs?

I've got no real problem with legal fireworks. I just want to get rid of the illegal ones.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:51 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

A friend of the family used to do a big fireworks display for all the big firework holidays -- New Years, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc. And I'm not talking the kind of stuff you could buy down at the store -- these were heavy duty "professional-type" fireworks. Well, just this past Labor Day said friend lost a hand in a firework accident-- and as if that wasn't bad enough, he had to face a police inquiry over possession of illegal fireworks.

I want to be able to say that only certain types of fireworks should be illegal, because I have fond memories as a child of setting off bottle rockets and firecrackers and the like -- but at the same time, where do you draw the line on what is and isn't a dangerous firework? And at the same time, banning only certain types surely makes it harder to enforce than an outright ban.

So yes, put me down for a very firm maybe
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:52 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

I'm fine with fireworks and even aerials. The homemade sparkler bombs are what I don't like.

flickr
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:25 AM
Ali`i

For me it's a matter of the amount of fireworks one pops. I don't have a problem if someone pops 10 to 20 of them in a safe manner. Popping a strip of 2,000 of them at time kind of loses it's appeal.

And no aerials unless it's done in a professional show.
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Kumu

I think that those of us who grew up outside the state can't believe the danger & pollution that goes on in the name of "culture".

I think that those of us who grew up here are too close to the problem ("tradition", "family") to recognize the inconsistency.

Interesting that support of fireworks generally goes along age & gender lines (younger males) and that few, if any, community leaders or public figures (politicians or celebrities) are in favor of them.

Looks like this problem goes in the same category as marijuana, cockfighting, and shoplifting. Oh, but wait, those don't wake me up in the middle of the night, scare the crap out of me, or make it hard for me to breathe...
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Ali`i

I voted that everyone should be allowed to use fireworks because there's no "undecided" option. I'm really undecided.

I hate the trash and noise associated with fireworks, but the state has laws about noise and trash, so if HPD chooses not to enforce them on holidays, the beauty and peace of everyone's neigborhoods will suffer.

The possibility of fires and injury is scary. So called safe fireworks make no difference - I had a firecracker go off in my hands when I was 15, while I was being supervised by my whole family one 4th of July. When I was 27 I got hit in the face with a bottle rocket in Mexico. I'm still not sure if that was one of the ones I was lighting, or one from down the beach. Thankfully I had no serious injuries from either incident, but what if I had to live with one less thumb or eye?! I don't light fireworks anymore!

Still, though, I LOVE to watch fireworks, especially the really big sparkly ones. At home here the neighborhood has been festive with fireworks, and whenever I hear one that sounds like it might be pretty, I run outside to watch.

Sidenote - as a kid we always had to spend part of the day afterward cleaning the yard until every trace of fireworks was picked up. And my old roommate from Hollywood would always spend "fireworks holidays" with the fire extinguisher in one hand and his cellphone to CHP in the other. A bit extreme...

PS - Hey Auntie!! I'll be in the area, and we're stopping by for a hug tonight!! Are you allowed to hug civillians while on duty?

Last edited by turtlegirl; December 31st, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
PS - Hey Auntie!! I'll be in the area, and we're stopping by for a hug tonight!! Are you allowed to hug civillians while on duty?
Shua! I'm looking forward to hugging plenny celebrants tonight.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Haumana

I voted to ban them. In addition to the already mentioned problems with noise, smoke, fire hazards and freaked out animals there is a sea of red paper in our neighborhood right now that inconsiderate neighbors didn't bother to clean up. Now the rain is coming down and washing it all into storm drains and I am assuming eventually to the ocean/reefs.
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Ali`i

To paraphrase Ron "Tater Salad" White: "You can't (ban) stupid."
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Ali`i

Happy New Year to all!!!

My opinion on fireworks would be a pragmatic one. Banning won't stop it. I say designate areas to do it and ban everywhere else. Making it legal will help snuff the illegal trade yet containing it in controlled areas will help with the smoke, noise, and fire dangers.
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
To paraphrase Ron "Tater Salad" White: "You can't (ban) stupid."
If you ban stupid, they'll just find another way around it and get worse.

Well, they aren't evolving out of the gene pool anytime soon. Is this where the human race takes those proverbial 2 steps back? I'm tending to think so after watching our neighbors, last night, then watching the fire department put out a dumpster fire behind Foodland.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Nobunaga

Ban em!
A lot of people get injured playing with fireworks, it terrorizes the animals, and it is very bad for people who have respitory problems.

Worst of all, is the amount of money that goes up in smoke. Especially in Waianae, where I go every New Year. I see about a million dollars being burnt, much of it illegal fireworks, and this is in a financially depressed area.

I must admit, I did enjoy playing with fireworks when I was a child, but I also have a friend who lost all of his fingernails on one of his hands because of fireworks.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Personally, I hope the ban is never lifted. 'Nuff already!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...fireworks.html
"Oahu first responders saw a busy kickoff to the new year, going out to three dozen fires and at least five injuries that were probably fireworks-related, as revelers not only rang in 2011 but also got their fill of consumer fireworks before a new ban took effect today.

The most serious fireworks injury left a man in critical condition after an aerial firework exploded in his hand.

Last New Year's, there were three fireworks-related injuries.

While celebrations to ring in 2011 were in full swing, there were 36 calls to fire dispatch categorized as probably fireworks-related. The calls included two structure fires, four brush fires and 16 rubbish fires.

The totals are an estimate, and fire officials say the figure will likely increase as fire inspectors wrap up cases.

After last New Year's(2010), 30 probable fireworks-related fires were reported."
Old January 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Ban New Years fireworks? HELL YES!!!

In addition to the man who was critically injured, there was also this from that same article:

"In addition to the man critically injured in Pearl City, a woman and two children were injured when an aerial exploded 10 feet from them. They suffered serious to minor burns and were taken to a hospital."

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who does anything that harms children should be sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
Ban em!
I must admit, I did enjoy playing with fireworks when I was a child,
What happened to "Do as I do and not Do as I say?"
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Ali`i

KEEP FIREWORKS!

BAN fireworks abuse.

Fireworks don't cause problems, PEOPLE MISUSING fireworks causes problems.
But how do you enforce the law???
We don't need new laws, we can't even enforce the ones we have.
I called HPD to ID the name/address of someone shooting illegal aerials... they never came. They don't care.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
KEEP FIREWORKS!

BAN fireworks abuse.

Fireworks don't cause problems, PEOPLE MISUSING fireworks causes problems.
But how do you enforce the law???
We don't need new laws, we can't even enforce the ones we have.
I called HPD to ID the name/address of someone shooting illegal aerials... they never came. They don't care.
The only problem is you can't stop the abuse unless you get rid of the merchandise. I think the only effective compromise would be to re-legalize some of the aerial stuff, but ban the bombs and bigger aerial displays, and enforce the damn law! That way, you'll satisfy the masses and minimize the danger. To me, this won't make everyone happy, but it's a compromise.

Fact is, the authorities know when and where this stuff is, but it's big money. I mean, common! If dogs can sniff out bombs and tiny fragments of ice residue in a shipping container, they can find tons of aerials a mile away. It's big money not only for the "insiders", but for the economy as well. For example, I know for a fact that raids on many gambling houses are staged.
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Ali`i

Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Guess where I'd suggest...
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Camden, New Jersey?
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Iraq.
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ali`i

Quote:

In his pants?
That's what she said.
Sorry, just getting ready for an episode of The Office.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to integlspwr Send a message via Yahoo to integlspwr

not sure how i can vote, but i dont want it to be banned. lol
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Question Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
I think the only effective compromise would be to re-legalize some of the aerial stuff, but ban the bombs and bigger aerial displays, and enforce the damn law! That way, you'll satisfy the masses and minimize the danger. To me, this won't make everyone happy, but it's a compromise.
Interesting proposal. So how would authorities differentiate between the different categories of “legal” and “illegal” fireworks? Can you expand on these “bombs” that proved to be such a nuisance to you? i.e. Were they homemade or store-bought?

I recognize that fireworks opponents have legitimate gripes, but I don’t understand why more of the “anti” crowd don’t just do what Ryan did: take an off-island getaway for the night.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993