Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Tita:
    I will pray for Conrad and his buddies and hope that they come home safe and sound, sooner rather than later. Thank him for all of us for the job that he's doing.

Malama pono,
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      Tita:
      I will pray for Conrad and his buddies and hope that they come home safe and sound, sooner rather than later. Thank him for all of us for the job that he's doing.

Malama pono,
      Miulang
      I know you will, Tita Miulang.

You always do.

Mahalo

Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        I say goodbye to my son tonight. He leaves with his unit ~ The Stryker Brigade to California for training. Returns home in about a month or two. Then their Deployment begins to Iraq.

Auntie Lynn
        Oh, what a handsome devil, yeah? Please express to your son the appreciation I'm sure we all feel for his service to our country. May God hold him in the palm of his hand and provide strength to you and your loved ones as you await his safe return.

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
          Oh, what a handsome devil, yeah? Please express to your son the appreciation I'm sure we all feel for his service to our country. May God hold him in the palm of his hand and provide strength to you and your loved ones as you await his safe return.
          Thank you MatildaRose for the kind words.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aww Auntie, your son looks gorgeous, if I can say that about a guy, in his uniform! God bless him, and huggz his way.

I said goodbye to my son-in-law last night after driving him to Schofield where he was leaving for the desert in Southern CA, too. He'll be there two mos. I think they said and then approx. Dec. 1? deploy to Iraq again.

It was so sweet to hang out and visit with the families of other deploying guys, see them hugging and holding their kids and mates. it also brought back memories of when my hubby used to deploy, and we'd all hang around as long as we could till they departed base, but we weren't at war when it was us saying goodbye to each other. Big, big difference.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

• Vets denied medical coverage because of DNA

I cannot believe that our government would do this to people who have served honorably in the US Armed Forces. They risk their lives for us in Iraq and yet when it's discovered that they may have genetic defects which are exacerbated by the harsh conditions experienced while in Iraq and Afghanistan and other bases, they are denied health coverage?

We are having a hard enough time recruiting volunteers. Now the volunteers have to worry about whether or not they will have healthcare coverage if they become disabled while serving our country if they have undetected genetic mutations. That is criminal.

While genetic discrimination is banned in most cases throughout the country, it is alive and well in the U.S. military.

For more than 20 years, the armed forces have held a policy that specifically denies disability benefits to servicemen and women with congenital or hereditary conditions. The practice would be illegal in almost any other workplace.

There is one exception, instituted in 1999, that grants benefits to personnel who have served eight years.

"You could be in the military and be a six-pack-a-day smoker, and if you come down with emphysema, 'That's OK. We've got you covered,' " said Kathy Hudson, director of the Genetics and Public Policy Center at Johns Hopkins University."But if you happen to have a disease where there is an identified genetic contribution, you are screwed."

...The regulation appears to have stemmed from an effort to protect the armed services from becoming a magnet for people who knew they would come down with costly genetic illnesses, according to Dr. Mark Nunes, who headed the Air Force Genetics Center's DNA diagnostic laboratory at Keesler Air Force Base in Mississippi.

The threat is almost certainly small. A 1999 military analysis estimated that about 250 service members are discharged each year for health problems involving a genetic component. Disability payments for them would amount to $1.7 million the first year and rise each year after that as more veterans join the rolls. Healthcare expenditures would have added to the tab.

...The fear of genetic discrimination coincides with early efforts to decode the human genome more than 25 years ago.

It took no great insight to realize that a complete inventory of life's building blocks would not only revolutionize the practice of medicine, but also mark individuals whose genes put them at risk for myriad diseases.

Congress took action in 1996, banning genetic discrimination in group health plans, and in 2000, President Clinton signed an executive order forbidding the practice against the federal government's nearly 2 million civilian employees. Similar laws against genetic discrimination swept through 31 states.

Congress is working to extend the federal law with the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, which would protect people with individual medical policies. The act has passed the House and awaits a vote in the Senate.

Even if it becomes law, it will not apply to military personnel.
              Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Vets denied medical coverage because of DNA

We are having a hard enough time recruiting volunteers. Now the volunteers have to worry about whether or not they will have healthcare coverage if they become disabled while serving our country if they have undetected genetic mutations. That is criminal.
                Miulang
                I don't know the details of this policy. Is it only if they are discharged because of their failure to be able to continue to serve specifically because of the progression of a congenital condition????

If that is the case then the current policy makes perfect sense or else every person in the country with a "congenital condition" would join the military for the sole purpose of getting discharged and then getting a check for life.

That may not have happened as much in the past with previous generations. But todays Americans tend to be professional scammers.

Nice try to act like a supporter of the military Miulang but this attempt won't do it.

The service people who deserve care for life are those who were injured or damaged in some way as a result of their service, not their genes.

Once again your bleeding heart blurs your vision.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                  I don't know the details of this policy. Is it only if they are discharged because of their failure to be able to continue to serve specifically because of the progression of a congenital condition????

If that is the case then the current policy makes perfect sense or else every person in the country with a "congenital condition" would join the military for the sole purpose of getting discharged and then getting a check for life.

That may not have happened as much in the past with previous generations. But todays Americans tend to be professional scammers.

Nice try to act like a supporter of the military Miulang but this attempt won't do it.

The service people who deserve care for life are those who were injured or damaged in some way as a result of their service, not their genes.

Once again your bleeding heart blurs your vision.
                  Unfortunately, Kam, your logic fails on this one. If American civilians are protected from being denied access to healthcare due to a preexisting, congenital condition over which they had no control (i.e., this is not like overeating or smoking that is caused by an individual's own choices...it's just something that happened when their daddy's sperm mixed with mommy's egg), then denying the few vets who have serious medical issues that are exacerbated due to the stress of being in combat is treating these vets as second class citizens, which they most certainly should not be.

We currently are signing up people with mental issues, convicted felons, etc. in order to meet quotas. So what is the difference here, especially if the volunteers don't know they have potential genetic problems, and particularly if the Pentagon doesn't do genetic screening to identify these people at the time they enlist? The people being denied treatment were deemed healthy at the time they enlisted, and due to the stress of being on the warfront, they ended up with conditions like blood clots in their legs which can certainly happen even to people who don't have the congenital condition but who sit for long periods of time without getting up and walking around (people who take long distance flights have been known to develop these blood clots---hell, even the Vice President has had a couple of them removed, and I doubt he has this congenital condition).

And if the Pentagon is so damned concerned about wasting money, how about doing a better job of tracking where the 190,000 AK-47s that are now missing went? Or how about telling us how 2 tiny washers worth less than $2.00 can cost the taxpayers more than $988,000 to ship to Iraq?

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; August 18, 2007, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, Kam, your logic fails on this one. If American civilians are protected from being denied access to healthcare due to a preexisting, congenital condition over which they had no control ....

Miulang
                    Your bleeding heart is spouting soo much blood that its seeping into da makas and blinding you.

Aren't most service men and women [I]civilians[I] once they are discharged? Okay, then whatever programs cover everyone else would cover them then.

The military has a duty to care for those who become injured or disabled as a result of their service. That's why they have an entire percentage system based upon "service connection" of injuries to the job.

The military can be helpful but it has no duty to care for those with congenital conditions for the rest of their lives simply because they have that condition. Some may argue that our society has that responsibility and I would agree with that to some extent.

I know, my idea is that any military person who is discharged due to a congenital disease should move in with Miulang since she's so concerned and she will take care of them for the rest of their lives.

Howz that Miulang? Good idea? Somehow your bleeding heart care and concern stops when you actually have to pick up the shovel??

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                      Your bleeding heart is spouting soo much blood that its seeping into da makas and blinding you.

Aren't most service men and women [I]civilians[I] once they are discharged? Okay, then whatever programs cover everyone else would cover them then.

The military has a duty to care for those who become injured or disabled as a result of their service. That's why they have an entire percentage system based upon "service connection" of injuries to the job.

The military can be helpful but it has no duty to care for those with congenital conditions for the rest of their lives simply because they have that condition. Some may argue that our society has that responsibility and I would agree with that to some extent.

I know, my idea is that any military person who is discharged due to a congenital disease should move in with Miulang since she's so concerned and she will take care of them for the rest of their lives.
                      This problem for vets is going to get worse, as more of them return from Iraq and Afghanistan. Read the postings in this forum from military.com about the problem. What I learned is that the DoD does require each recruit provide a DNA sample which is be used to identify them if they are killed. They also do some limited genetic testing, but not for all genetic diseases. For the genetic diseases that they do screen, and if those diseases could be exacerbated by certain tasks that would be required, the recruits are supposed to be assigned to duties that will not expose them to the precipitating factors. Apparently because of the acute need for troops in the field, this is not happening. So when a person who has a congenital disease comes down with a symptom known to be caused by factor, they have to be on active duty for 8 years before they can have their treatment paid for.

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; August 19, 2007, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• 14 from Schofield killed in copter crash

My sincerest condolences to all the families of the troops killed in this tragic crash of a Black Hawk yesterday in Iraq.

This is the second helicopter crash involving troops based in Hawai'i (the other incident was in 2005).

Miulang
                        Last edited by Miulang; August 22, 2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I haven't been able to get any work done today because I've been refreshing my browser for any updates.

My boys -- an old roommate and dear, dear friends -- are in the 25th (Light) from Wheeler. They're helicopter pilots, but initial reports say that the crew was based out of Fort Lewis, WA.

It's a crappy feeling, searching for names in the paragraphs, and praying that none of them are familiar.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Same Here, LL~ Sigh....two dear boys are there, now and yet when my daughters befriended them it was just since they moved here and none of us knows any of their families on the mainland, so if, God forbid either of them are involved then we have to wait to get slower word. The list will be out by tonight or tomorrow, I think.

Whomever is on that list, our hearts and prayers go to their loved ones.
                            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

• $50 billion additional to be added to the bottomless pit

Up to $50 billion more, on top of the $460 billion already committed for FY 2008. How many more teachers would $50 billion pay for?

Washington - U.S. President George W. Bush is preparing to ask Congress for as much as $50 billion in additional funding for the war in Iraq, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday, citing a White House official.

The request signals increasing White House confidence that it can fend off mounting congressional pressure to begin withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, the Post reported.

The additional funds would come on top of about $460 billion in the fiscal 2008 defense budget and $147 billion in a pending supplemental bill to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Post said.
                              Story

Comment

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=705_1188284152

A couple of the soldiers Miulang thinks are wasting their time in Iraq. They are buying some bread and messing with some HAPPY Iraqi kids.

Gives you a view of Iraq that the media and Miulang won't ever want you to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X