X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    It would be hilarious to see one photographer in the middle using a compact consumer grade camera.
    I bet the person who took that photo was using a little Nikon point and shoot
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
      I bet the person who took that photo was using a little Nikon point and shoot
      Heh could be! Youngest brother paying respects to elder brothers?

I wonder what it sounded like, sitting in that section. Must have sounded like this x20!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Cano...ti-cf-jpeg.mp3
      Last edited by MyopicJoe; September 5, 2008, 06:51 PM.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
        A fly, though I wish I could have got it from the front
        Great macro fly, Tatt! Their little mettalic bodies are beautiful in their own way.

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
        I shoot a lot of weddings on the mainland, and i never really post them outside my blog, etc.... thought i'd start sharing some portraits

I think this is a really exceptional shot. It looks like Ben Harper and J-Lo.

what are you using these days? LightRoom? Aperture?
        I open them and do some light, color, and sharpening in Nikon Capture NX. If they need more I use JASC Paint Shop Pro.

I did a comparison between Nikon Capture and Photoshop a while back when a had a trial version of both in my computer. I can't remember if I used NEF files shot in raw or JPG's, but it seemed very clear to me that the Nikon program opened them up considerably sharper. I had read this on the net and I found it to be easily noticeable.

I really don't even know about Aperature or Lightroom. They must be good or you wouldn't have mentioned them. Are they like the standard people are using now?

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        I liked how wispy the clouds looked. From the angle of this shot, it looks like they're streaming off the building. Purely accidental:
        Great cloud shot, Joe. The contrast of the angular and the organic works well.

Comment

This one is my favorite from those. You have some great colors in these. Good job. I can see you pics getting better and better...

what are you using these days? LightRoom? Aperture?
          I love that pic too! I'm loving all the photos being shared here, but that was my favorite by far. Great work, Jim!

Comment

Today I was at Sandy's. Gorgeous day. Lots of surf. Lots of surfers. One of the guys came over to talk to me and I told him if I got any good pics I'd post 'em and where they'd be. So here's a bunch.

Last edited by Jim75; September 6, 2008, 11:02 PM.

Comment

More Sandy's.

Comment

and more

Comment

These are the last

Comment

Think I just got 'wet'! HaHa!
                    Really Choice shots! Love the facial expressions.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post

I did a comparison between Nikon Capture and Photoshop a while back when a had a trial version of both in my computer. I can't remember if I used NEF files shot in raw or JPG's, but it seemed very clear to me that the Nikon program opened them up considerably sharper. I had read this on the net and I found it to be easily noticeable.
                      Yeah NC will apply a lot more sharpening upfront, but the Nikon files are generally soft out of camera in a way that let's PS add great looking sharpening. I do my sharpening at the end.

I really don't even know about Aperature or Lightroom. They must be good or you wouldn't have mentioned them. Are they like the standard people are using now?
                      Aperture is for Macs (made by Apple) and LightRoom is from Adobe for both systems. They are full image asset management apps. You catalog all your photos, do RAW conversions, all the regular type of adjustments like exposure, white balace, etc... plus TONS more. Even advanced image editing techniques.

I'd say 90% of the pros use either ones of these. You can do batch adjustments, like setting white balance for one photo and then applying it to a group of other photos. You can really do 95% of your work inside these apps. I don't really pull up photoshop as much anymore, only for special stuff.

If you use a Mac check out the detailed great videos of Aperture here:
                      http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/
                      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Think I just got 'wet'! HaHa!
                        Really Choice shots! Love the facial expressions.
                        Thanks MM. The facial expressions are the best part and totally unexpected until I opened them up in the computer.

I'd say 90% of the pros use either ones of these. You can do batch adjustments, like setting white balance for one photo and then applying it to a group of other photos. You can really do 95% of your work inside these apps. I don't really pull up photoshop as much anymore, only for special stuff.
                        Brian, I've got a Dell/IBM PC. Will lightroom open NEF files? I'm assuming it will as you're shooting Nikon.

Comment

DAYAM, Jim! Great action shots. Have you considered trying to sell them to some of the surfing magazines?

Comment

Great shots, Jim!

you sure that is sandys, looked more like Makapu Point.
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              DAYAM, Jim! Great action shots. Have you considered trying to sell them to some of the surfing magazines?
                              Thanks Sue. I hadn't really thought about it. I'd kind of imagined there must be lots of people who've taken these kinds of shots.

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                              Great shots, Jim!

you sure that is sandys, looked more like Makapu Point.
                              That's correct, it's not Sandy's. I figured that out today when I went to Sandy's and saw the sign.

The surf at Sandy Beach is much larger or at least it was today.

This must be a 20 foot wave, huh?

Comment

Couple more from Sandys

Comment

Working...
                                X