X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Originally posted by dick View Post
    I've always wondered if they pay for those photos, and what the rate is.
    Zero!

Keep your day job Dick.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A little gold, a little food, and a shoe guy you can trust. A day of shopping in Dubai.
      Attached Files

Comment

AK, the photos remind me of the markets in Dhaharan during Desert Shield. Lotsa shiny gold and FOOD galore!

Oh, and ladies in abaya wear. Including me.

Comment

Why is one small and the other big?

Hmmm. Better, but still working on it.

Okay. I'm officially dangerous; I figured out flickr.
          Last edited by cyleet99; November 5, 2008, 07:05 PM. Reason: Trying to work this. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post

Why is one small and the other big?

Hmmm. Better, but still working on it.

Okay. I'm officially dangerous; I figured out flickr.
            I'm not sure how the size happens either. Bigger is better. Where's the coastal pict. from?

Comment

Oregon. Beautiful!!!

Comment

Holding out for the Big Sale. ( Malaysia )
                Attached Files

Comment

Great pics, all. Tattrat, there's enough detail in that moonshot that you can actually see a 7-11.

These ancient stone hoodoos (makai from the Crouching Lion Inn) are said to have been constructed several centuries ago by the Menehunes. In the second photo you can see the sacred, petrified chocolate chip cookie perched at the top of one mound.

On a serioius note, a week ago I attended a program on Hawaiian Cultural Issues and Dr. Crabbe of the Wainae Coast Comprehensive Health Care Center took us to the Kane'aki Heiau up Makaha Valley. He offered a Hawaiian song/chant announcing our presence, setting the vibration, and asking for blessings. It was absolutely still except for the singing of birds. It's deep in a lush valley with the mountains rising sharply above. Not being able to understand the words allowed one to just think about their sound and imagine all the people who had stood in reverence before. It was a very cool experience and gave you a really clear sense of place. I can't think of a better way to say it than 'it was a very Hawaiian moment'. I can't imagine any thinking person who would not have been moved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                    [...]
                    On a serioius note, a week ago I attended a program on Hawaiian Cultural Issues and Dr. Crabbe of the Wainae Coast Comprehensive Health Care Center took us to the Kane'aki Heiau up Makaha Valley. He offered a Hawaiian song/chant announcing our presence, setting the vibration, and asking for blessings. It was absolutely still except for the singing of birds. It's deep in a lush valley with the mountains rising sharply above. Not being able to understand the words allowed one to just think about their sound and imagine all the people who had stood in reverence before. It was a very cool experience and gave you a really clear sense of place. I can't think of a better way to say it than 'it was a very Hawaiian moment'. I can't imagine any thinking person who would not have been moved.[...]
                    I live at the mouth of that valley and use the WCCHC facilities. Is the program you mention above available to the public or is it just for professionals within the medical community? I couldn't find a reference to it on the Center's web site. Please PM me if you have any info as it sounds so interesting. Mahalo.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      Featured on tonight's Channel 9 KGMB News weather report with Guy Hagi.
                      Congrats, Mel! The dark silhouettes contrast nicely with the intense colors.

You know, with the placement of the boy's elbows, kinda looks like he's peeing

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                      Holding out for the Big Sale. ( Malaysia )
                      Haha, way to stick it to urban development.

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                      In the second photo you can see the sacred, petrified chocolate chip cookie perched at the top of one mound.
                      Heh heh. Since you were there, what kind of beer did the Menehunes drink?

I like the textures on the foreground rocks, in the second picture. The wet patches and maybe some sea salt?
                      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                      "
                      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post

You know, with the placement of the boy's elbows, kinda looks like he's peeing
                        Never thought about that until now.

Thanks for the comment on the pic.... As usual everyone's photos in this section are wonderful and interesting. Keep em coming.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As usual, absolutely fantastic photography here!!! Mel, Jim, Dick, Cyleet..everyone! Just awesome.

I captured a couple MEGA-ZOOM shots this afternoon of the Sea-Based X-Band Radar (SBX) Missile Defense Platform off Diamond Head...

Sea-Based X-Band Radar (SBS) Missile Defense Platform off Diamond Head this afternoon.

Making the composition more interesting, I included surfers who were far, FAR nearer to shore catching some afternoon sets. I'd say the SBS was at least 5 miles off shore from my vantage point at sea level.

Another shot...

Sea-Based X-Band Radar (SBS) Missile Defense Platform off Diamond Head. 11/06/08.

No, these aren't "Photoshopped" (except for a few color adjustments). 100% true to life.

This, using my Sony ultra-zoom DSC-H5, pushing its limit, using up all its 12x optical zoom, plus digital (24x total) capability. If only I had a DSLR, this shot would be so much less noisy, more vivid and crisp. Still, I got the shot!

Taking advantage of having an ultra-zoom lens, I was also able to get good detail of Rocky's face this afternoon, as she took her beauty nap (while respecting her space) nearby where I took the last two shots...

Rocky (a NOAA-tracked endandered Hawaiian Monk Seal) @ Diamond Head Beach this afternoon
                          Last edited by Pomai; November 6, 2008, 09:46 PM.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

WTF is that?! Is it permanent? Couldn't it have been placed in a less obvious place? How much did it cost?
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Susie, all your questions are answered (well, at least what's not classified) here.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Susie, all your questions are answered (well, at least what's not classified) here.
                                Wow. No wonder the least little 'Boo!' scares you guys.

What scares me is that it's run by civilian contractors.
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X