Clear All

Re: Forgotten Songs from the 1970's and 1980's

[QUOTE=Frankie's Market;210573]

The Fixx

Saved By Zero

Great song, my favorite one they did!

George Harrison

[B]What Is Life

I hear this one on the oldies channel sometimes.

And then you have those cover versions that sounded good on Top 40 radio when they were new, but were largely forgotten over time.

Linda Ronstadt

That'll Be The Day
    It's So Easy

How about Ooh Baby, Baby or Tracks of My Tears covers she did of Smokey Robinson!

Beach Boys

Come Go With Me

I used to rcord Dick Clark's radio show years ago and back then was the last time I heard that song on the radio, must be around 1989.

Carpenters
    Please Mister Postman
    Ticket To Ride

I dont hear "I Wont Last a Day Without You" very much anymore. How about "Only Yesterday", dont hear that one either.

Aj

Comment

Was listening to the Badfinger classic "Day after Day" the other day in the car, always liked that song, my wife said, "isnt that Joe Jackson", I didn't understand what she meant at first and then it dawned on me that if you listen to Badfinger's "Day after Day" and Joe Jackson's "Breaking Us in Two" and you will definitely find the similarities between the two.

Anybody think "My Sweet Lord" sounds like Chiffon's "He's So Fine"?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        Anybody think "My Sweet Lord" sounds like Chiffon's "He's So Fine"?
        George Harrison was, in fact, sued for plagiarism by Bright Tunes Music, the publishing firm that owned the rights to He's So Fine.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          George Harrison was, in fact, sued for plagiarism by Bright Tunes Music, the publishing firm that owned the rights to He's So Fine.
          Yes I know. But do you and others think they sound alike? I think George had to play his song in court as I recall.

The music in the Badfinger and Joe Jackson songs so much alike, I wonder if Jackson needed permission to use part of the song's riff.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Jonathan King (EVERYONE'S GONE TO THE MOON) recorded a version of SHE'S SO FINE with the MY SWEET LORD music in the backgroup. This was played in court and sank George Harrison's case. He was judged to have committed "unconscious plaigiarism."

This song is included on a Jonathan King LP that I have

Comment

Yes I know. But do you and others think they sound alike? I think George had to play his song in court as I recall.
              Anybody can listen to the two songs back-to-back and judge for themselves. In my opinion? Bright Tunes had a strong case against Harrison, and the court sided with them. The melodic chord progressions are identical, with the only differences being the number of times the melodic motifs are repeated and the transitional phrases.

The music in the Badfinger and Joe Jackson songs so much alike, I wonder if Jackson needed permission to use part of the song's riff.
              Interesting question. Keep in mind that civil lawsuits are motivated by $$$$. And enough $$$$ has to be involved in order to make a plagiarism lawsuit worthwhile for the prospective plaintiff and attorneys involved.

Breaking Us In Two was a moderate hit for Jackson. But I don't know if it was a big enough hit in order to make a plagiarism suit viable. The vast majority of those suits target the monster hits that tops the charts and makes millions. For example, Chuck Berry's publisher went after the Beach Boys' Surfin' USA for basically copying the melody of Sweet Little Sixteen,.... AFTER it became a worldwide sensation. Heck, Berry's publisher also went after the Beatles' Come Together, just because it lifted two lines of lyrics from You Can't Catch Me. Flimsy grounds for a plagiarism suit? Maybe. But Come Together was a #1 hit single and one of the tracks on the blockbuster Abbey Road LP, making it a very lucrative and tempting target. (And indeed, Berry's publisher did receive a settlement from John Lennon, the primary composer of that particular song.)

If there's any doubt to the idea that money is a big factor in plagiarism suits, consider this: My Sweet Lord, although composed by George Harrison, was originally given to and recorded by Billy Preston. Preston's version didn't set the charts on fire. Whoever noticed its similarity to He's So Fine probably didn't care at that point. But when Harrison came out with his recording of the same song a year later, BOOM! #1 worldwide hit. Tons of radio airplay. An integral part of Harrison's All Things Must Pass LP, which went gold. (Would have been platinum if the RIAA had such an award in 1971.) Now at that point, does a plagiarism suit make sense? You bet!
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 22, 2008, 01:54 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley!

Comment

Rick Astley is not that bad of a singer, I liked "Cry For Help", from the early
                  90's, he gew his hair long and no longer had that geeky Richie Cunningham look.

Listen to the late Billy Preston sing "My Sweet Lord" on the George Harrison memorial tribute on Youtube, it is amazing and I can see why he was considered to do that song.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley!
                    This reminds me of my years in retail and all that music we had to endure in the stores.......The bane of my existence for years and years! The receivers in each store had a mark where the volume had to be. It was a system that used these giant eight track looking things and for the life of me
                    right now I can't remember the name of the system.

Comment

How much do the artists receive every time their song is played at a stadium or arena of a sporting event?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        How much do the artists receive every time their song is played at a stadium or arena of a sporting event?
                        Please, please correct me on this but I don't think they (Queen, Gary Glitter and others) get paid per songs played in the arena, rather some special licensing agreement with ASCAP that pays them a once a year lump sum.

Aj

Comment

Is it true that Paul McCartney gets a royalty each time ON WISCONSIN is played at Camp Randall Stadium for University of Wisconsin football games?

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                            This reminds me of my years in retail and all that music we had to endure in the stores.......The bane of my existence for years and years! The receivers in each store had a mark where the volume had to be. It was a system that used these giant eight track looking things and for the life of me
                            right now I can't remember the name of the system.
                            Well - that was a big part of MUZAK's business, but there were many competitors, such as AEI.

Please, please correct me on this but I don't think they (Queen, Gary Glitter and others) get paid per songs played in the arena, rather some special licensing agreement with ASCAP that pays them a once a year lump sum.

Aj
                            That's my understanding as well. The ASCAP/BMI/SESAC/etc. deals are made with the facilities under "public performance" contracts. If they are used as part of a television broadcast, the fees are shared by the networks and the sporting leagues.

Comment

here's one

8 track

jimi hendrix

"the wind cries mary"
                              Attached Files
                              stay forever young

Comment

Some of my favorite singers have died this year: Levi Stubbs, Paul Davis, Al Wilson.

I loved just about anything Paul Davis sang, COOL NIGHT used to be played on the radio all the time, but I dont hear SWEET LIFE as much as I used to.

How about the Four Tops AIN'T NO WOMAN LIKE THE ONE I GOT or Al Wilson's SHOW & TELL, classics from 35 years ago!

Slyvia: NOBODY

Melissa Manchester: YOU SHOULD HEAR HOW SHE TALKS ABOUT YOU

Skylark: WILDFLOWER

Thom Pace: MAYBE

Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds: FALLING IN LOVE

Hollies: HE AINT HEAVY, HE'S MY BROTHER & THE AIR THAT I BREATHE

Sammy Johns: CHEVY VAN

Shalamar: SECOND TIME AROUND

Steve Perry & Kenny Loggins: DON'T FIGHT IT

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X