Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Food Network

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Looks like he's going to be getting up near my old grounds in the fifth episode. I dig that he involves his crew in the whole experience - especially the guys who often fill the occasional role on Good Eats.
    That first show in his new series was awesome. I'd love to have some gumbo and boudin balls right now!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
      boudin balls
      One of the best moments in the show - when he told the woman taking his order that he assumes they come in twos (chuckle, chuckle)...and she just shoots down his little joke with her simple "no - five."

Comment

Iron Chef tonight was a blast with Hawaii Boy and chef of August, a restaurant in Manhattan, Tony Liu, battling with his former employer and mentor, Mario Batalli, over OPAH!!! I'm posting this prior to the decision. He did well if you ask me!!!!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
          I hear that the "Chairman" is from Hawaii and we should watch for some localisms with Mario getting in on the act as well.
          Only in the handshake (in Mario's case) - the Chairman says "howzit" to the challenger, along with a "mahalo" later - and a few more hand-clasps. The items made by Liu were more appealing to my limited palate than Batali's dishes.

Comment

I'm watching it now. Long day/night. I've never had opah, being something of a seafood newbie, but I know its reputation. All I can say so far is wow. What a beautiful fish. I'm enjoying the heck out of this show so far.

Okay, now I've seen it all except the final scores, and I have to agree: I thought chef Liu's work was more creative, but Batali's does look a bit tastier.
            Last edited by scrivener; August 6, 2007, 04:17 AM. Reason: "now I'm waiting for the end of time so I can end my time with you..."
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

What do you folks think of Simply Delicioso?

Ingrid Hoffman is cute. I really like her personality. I'd date her. Only thing I DON'T like is that the show is rather overproduced. Would be better if they made it more cut and dry (not her, the show). lol In a "backyards of Mexico" kind of way.

Her slight accent sooo reminds me of this Filipina I work with. Very sexy.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm so far behind on my thread reading/posting -- and on my Food Network viewing as well. And on my housecleaning as well ... but those are other stories.

Just thought, after reading through this thread, that I'd share a link to recipes from Hari's Kitchen (Hari Kojima), Hawaii's Kitchen, Sam Choy's cooking show and the Taste of Puna ... (I've not seen any pakalolo recipes therein, FYI).

http://www.suresave.com/

I'd heard about the Web site before, but never went there -- and actually stumbled on it recently in the course of doing research for a column. Now THAT'S what I call serendipity!

I believe Chef Sam's recipes are linked on the KHNL Web site and that the other TV stations' Web sites probably have recipe links too ... I just thought given the discussion of Hari, Sam, etc., this would be a good place for that link.

Also, Roy Yamaguchi DID have a series on PBS -- not just on KHET, either. I THINK it was called, "Hawaii Cooks, with Roy Yamaguchi," though I might not have it quite right. I could not find the show listed at pbs.org ... so it may no longer be running.

I believe Bev Gannon, an original member of the dozen of culinarians, etc., who made up Hawaii Regional Cuisine Inc. (along with Choy, Roy, Shep Gordon, etc.), appeared WITH JULIA CHILD on one of her shows on PBS. You can do a search and find it (I'd recommend using Gannon's name -- as searching for Julia Child's name would yield TONS of results). Maybe it was Amy Ferguson-Ota -- who I've also written about lately. Boy, it's hard to keep a cluttered brain straight.
                Last edited by Erika Engle; August 11, 2007, 12:01 PM. Reason: Typo, punctuation.
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  What do you folks think of Simply Delicioso?
                  Yes, she's hot. Seriously hat. Mui picante, or something like that. And yes, the show is slightly overproduced in the way that Everyday Italian is -- someone told me they shoot one episode of Giada's show per day, where Rachael Ray does a whole week's worth in a day.

Hoffman's delivery is a lot more like Ray's, full of little idiosyncrasies, such as the tendency to refer to every ingredient as "these guys."

I would love to see her dial it down a few levels; maybe not quite as mellow as Ina Garten (whom I just love), but maybe just a little north of Giada.

Her recipes are very appealing; I've wanted to try and make just about everything I've seen her cook, including some cool drinks.

All in all, I don't think I especially like this show, but if it's on I'll watch it. Instead of listing the dishes she prepares in the program guide, though, maybe the station should describe what she's wearing.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Instead of listing the dishes she prepares in the program guide, though, maybe the station should describe what she's wearing.
                    Had there been coffee in my mouth when I read this, it'd be all over the screen right now.

Funny boy!
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Hmmmm why do melons come to mind when I see her picture Big juicy melons on a hot summer day...hmmmm
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        Hmmmm why do melons come to mind when I see her picture Big juicy melons on a hot summer day
                        Nigella Lawson has her beat...by at least a casaba or two!

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Nigella Lawson has her beat...by at least a casaba or two!

Miulang

Two ways to land a guy...food and melons

Comment

Craig, helps to keep 'em, too. LOL....*yes, just joking, ahem....

We watch the food network for recipes and for seeing how some things are manufactured. Thanks to Paula Deen we discovered the recipe for this family's favorite soup, by far. That is the Taco Soup, and it's barely soupy and dang for flavor, energy, it's filling and did I mention it tastes awesome?
                            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                              Craig, helps to keep 'em, too. LOL....*yes, just joking, ahem....

We watch the food network for recipes and for seeing how some things are manufactured. Thanks to Paula Deen we discovered the recipe for this family's favorite soup, by far. That is the Taco Soup, and it's barely soupy and dang for flavor, energy, it's filling and did I mention it tastes awesome?
                              Whenever I check melons, I have to hold them in my hands, feel them for texture and poke them with my thumbs for firmness...

Comment

This Wednesday, the show "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" pays a visit to Bobby's Hawaiian Style Restaurant in Everett, WA (north of Seattle), run by Hawaiian expat Bobby Nakihei. When we learn the air-date, I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X