X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Lawrence: Change at KPOI-FM

Scroll to second item

http://starbulletin.com/2008/01/16/business/engle.html
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Re: Change at KPOI-FM

Wow. So interesting. I've had a feeling something was going to happen soon. I listen to KPOI regularly and something just didn't feel right. I'm mostly ambivalent, but I think a lot of people are going to be really upset.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That's too bad. Although I found his voice and many of his affectations annoying he played good music and had interesting tales to share. Where'
      on the dial in this town he could possibly land is beyond me with his niche
      and persona. Wonder if they let him keep all those ads from musicians calling
      him their best bud and all........Good luck Dave! A hui hou!

Comment

B-Rock, THANK YOU....THANK YOU....THANK YOU! He should have been fired 5 years ago. I have never heard anyone on the radio who loves himself more than this guy. Only promoted himself and never any other radio personalities on the air. It sounded like the radio station evolved around him, where he should have been evolving around the radio station.

Talk with past employees of the Big Kahuna and KPOI, no one like him, he treated all other personnel rudely, where they tried to show him the aloha spirit, he always referenced, well in Boston, we did it this way. Well, Dave, time to go back to Boston.

So what now for KPOI? I guess B-Rock has some major decisions to make. Bring back the old KPOI, 98-Rock or the old Big Kahuna. There's Kenny Hutchinson, Rabbett or even Rich West and Bo Hodge, the 2 Boobs in the Morning. That was the last morning show that was entertaining on air. Since then Ed Kanoi was drowning in classic rock, not knowing the format or how to produce a decent morning show. And Mars yesterday does know the difference between Ron Wood and Keith Richards, I'm sorry he's failing too.

OK B-Rock, we are all waiting for you to bring KPOI back to there glory days. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
          B-Rock, THANK YOU....THANK YOU....THANK YOU! He should have been fired 5 years ago. I have never heard anyone on the radio who loves himself more than this guy. Only promoted himself and never any other radio personalities on the air. It sounded like the radio station evolved around him, where he should have been evolving around the radio station.
          I hear what you're saying, but that "never any other radio personalities" part is untrue. He was always talking about Ed Kanoi and he mentioned a few times Jack Gist's weekend slots. He was a self-promoter, but he also kicked his butt to line up good interviews and he did a really good job with those interviews. I'm extremely critical of interviewers, especially of rock musicians, and I had to admit that Lawrence always did well with those.

Since then Ed Kanoi was drowning in classic rock, not knowing the format or how to produce a decent morning show. And Mars yesterday does know the difference between Ron Wood and Keith Richards, I'm sorry he's failing too.
          I also get what you're saying about Ed's morning show, but by the time he was taken off, I thought he was quite good. One of his mistakes was always having a sidekick, which I found ridiculously distracting from Ed's very likable on-air persona. Ed was unlikely to dig deep into the grooves, but he knew his stuff well enough for my short morning commute. Mars is something else; here's a guy who seems to know his stuff, who plays the OTHER songs by those bands we love so much. But listening to him is like hearing bedtime stories. I got no problems with him; there just isn't much personality there.

Honestly, I also like the other guys you mention, but early in the morning, I wanna hear good tunes, not two guys telling dirty jokes or responding to the news. So please no West and Hodge.

I said earlier that I was ambivalent about Lawrence's leaving, but I've got to change that. I did appreciate the interviews he did, and I do believe he sincerely loves rock music, which goes a long, long way with me. I always felt I was listening along with a fellow fan. So as much as I won't miss a lot of the things he did, I'll will miss certain other things.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Dave Lawrence: Change at KPOI-FM

I always felt Dave was a poor imitation of Tommy Chong.
            "Dave? Dave's not here!"

Sorry, interviews aside, I just didn't like him. I didn't like to listen to him. He was too irritating.
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              I hear what you're saying, but that "never any other radio personalities" part is untrue. He was always talking about Ed Kanoi and he mentioned a few times Jack Gist's weekend slots. He was a self-promoter, but he also kicked his butt to line up good interviews and he did a really good job with those interviews. I'm extremely critical of interviewers, especially of rock musicians, and I had to admit that Lawrence always did well with those.

I also get what you're saying about Ed's morning show, but by the time he was taken off, I thought he was quite good. One of his mistakes was always having a sidekick, which I found ridiculously distracting from Ed's very likable on-air persona. Ed was unlikely to dig deep into the grooves, but he knew his stuff well enough for my short morning commute. Mars is something else; here's a guy who seems to know his stuff, who plays the OTHER songs by those bands we love so much. But listening to him is like hearing bedtime stories. I got no problems with him; there just isn't much personality there.

Honestly, I also like the other guys you mention, but early in the morning, I wanna hear good tunes, not two guys telling dirty jokes or responding to the news. So please no West and Hodge.

I said earlier that I was ambivalent about Lawrence's leaving, but I've got to change that. I did appreciate the interviews he did, and I do believe he sincerely loves rock music, which goes a long, long way with me. I always felt I was listening along with a fellow fan. So as much as I won't miss a lot of the things he did, I'll will miss certain other things.
              I'd have to agree with your last paragraph.

Comment

I *loved* 98Rock.

Bring it back.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  I *loved* 98Rock.

Bring it back.
                  Yah! I still have an old, original 98 Rock sticker, mint. And I have some veloxes* of their original logo from a piece I produced for them back in the late 70s.

*Uh, that would be a high-resolution photo-lithographic high-contrast black and white print of their logo, for you young-uns.

Comment

Back in the olden days, "98 Rock" could pass muster as a station monicker since most receivers were analog rotary or dial sets. Today most radio receivers are digital and stations tend to identify their dial positions with exact numbers these days. 93.9 KIKI, 102.7 Da Bomb, 105.9 FM KPOI, etc.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KPOI was at 97.5 and called themselves 98 Rock forever.

Or they could just go REAL old school and call themselves KPOI-FM. I spent many nights parked in front of the speakers listening to the original KPOI-FM.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                        KPOI was at 97.5 and called themselves 98 Rock forever.
                        not forever. i don't know much about the glory days of kpoi, with tom moffatt and ron jacobs and those other poi boys, but i know that for a time in the 70s and 80s, kpoi was an a.m. oldies station and 98rock was kduk. sometime while i was in high school, 98rock claimed the illustrious call letters.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

not forever. i don't know much about the glory days of kpoi, with tom moffatt and ron jacobs and those other poi boys, but i know that for a time in the 70s and 80s, kpoi was an a.m. oldies station and 98rock was kduk. sometime while i was in high school, 98rock claimed the illustrious call letters.
                          I had a black 98Rock sticker on my 8th grade school folder, so it couldn't have been when you were in h.s.

pax

Comment

One problem I have with most classic rock formats is it's just the hits - over and over. Not quite as bad as the "pop top 20" stations, but not that far removed either. It's like being fed chocolate cake every day - at first it's good, but then it's a dull routine.

What I want is a good mix of the classics, deep tracks and newer stuff in the same line. If all I want are the hits, I'll gab my iPod (yes, I finally bought one.)

I think to survive in the iPod world, they will have to mix in some content that won't be on our iPods.

As for stations I liked, there was The Fox, and for awhile in the very late 70s/early 80s was KORL that did some deep tracks. Discovered some cool songs I didn't know I had in my collection.

Comment

KPOI was originally a top 40 station at AM 1380. The FM signed on sometime in the late 60s. It was both KPOI AM & FM with the AM playing top 40 music and the FM programming "AOR" (album oriented rock), which played tracks that are "deeper" than today's classic rock format.

Around April of 1974 KPOI FM switched call letters to KHSS and became a "beautiful music" station that tried to compete with KUMU on the FM dial with the same format. KPOI FM from the start in the 60s was at 97.5 until the call letters were sold to Visionary (after numerous ownership changes) which moved it to 105.9 FM where it now is.

Around 1977 or 78, KHSS became KDUK and they played disco music for a few years. Then after that they went to a somewhat "new wave" rock format before settling to classic rock for a very long time (The 98 Rock days) before switching to "The Edge" (alt rock) in 1993 and then "The Rock You Live On" through most of the 90s and up to the time it went to Visionary and became "The Big Kahuna".

In the mid and late 70s, KPOI AM soldiered on with an oldies format which also eventually saw them move down the dial from 1380 AM to 1040 AM. I think around the time that the KPOI call letters moved back to the FM dial (about the early 80s) from KDUK, the AM 1040 station was sold and became Christian oriented KLHT, the call letters 1040 carry to this very day.

Way before that in the 60s and possibly the 50s at least, 1040 AM was KHVH.
                              Last edited by mel; January 17, 2008, 03:40 AM.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X