Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post that pidgin vernacular from your island!

Originally posted by nachodaddy
    Funny.

What you call arare, mochi crunch, and kakimochi, I call osenbei all the way from small keed time.

Still, to this day, my favorite aisle in the supermarket.
    Arare, mochi crunch, and kakimochi are basically the same thing. Osenbei is the flat, maybe quarter to fifty cents size rice cracker. Almost like one fortune cookie oney ting not folded...if dat makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      Reading this thread makes me wonder where the words "choke" and "grind" come from. I know what they mean but how did they enter the pidgin vernacular? I think these two words are relatively recent introductions maybe from the 70s? Is anyone here old enough to remember if these words were used before then?

I've used the word "choke" myself to describe an abundance of somthing but I never say "grind" meaning to eat because is just sounds stupid.
      We used to use the phrase "choke" to describe the cuff size of our pants when we wore "drapes". If someone had on regular pants and not "drapes" it was called "choke bottoms".

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
        We used to use the phrase "choke" to describe the cuff size of our pants when we wore "drapes". If someone had on regular pants and not "drapes" it was called "choke bottoms".
        I was just wondering how "choke" and "grind" became pidgin words. I seriously doubt they came from the plantation days. If they really are recent introductions to pidgin, how did this come about?

Comment

I don't know when they became pidgin words or if it is considered pidgin words. I do agree that it came about around the 70's or mid 60's, about the time most of us were doing doobies and the like.

Comment

Well "choke" and "grind" have got to be two of the stupidest words in the pidgin vernacular. The person or persons responsible for this deserve to be flogged for corrupting our spoken language. It's a complete misuse of english words.

Comment

I don't know when they became pidgin words or if it is considered pidgin words. I do agree that it came about around the 70's or mid 60's
              about the same time that locals here began to feel choked off of their own lands

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                It's a complete misuse of english words.
                Just in case you're not being ironic (I blame Alanis Morissette for clouding the definition)... isn't that basically what local pidgin is? Hell, what any pidgin is? A "misuse" of English words, and of all the other languages it borrows from to create its own form and style.

Comment

MAYOR WRIGHTS HOUSING!

I like sum moa!

Ooooh! Sum goood!!!

No make lil dat...

K-den. Wea stey?
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Just in case you're not being ironic (I blame Alanis Morissette for clouding the definition)... isn't that basically what local pidgin is? Hell, what any pidgin is? A "misuse" of English words, and of all the other languages it borrows from to create its own form and style.
                    Not exactly. The enlish words in Hawaii pidgin usually retain their original meanings but may be pronounced or spoken differently. In this case they are pronounced the same but with entirely different meanings.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      MAYOR WRIGHTS HOUSING!

I like sum moa!

Ooooh! Sum goood!!!

No make lil dat...

K-den. Wea stey?
                      All these words used by 1stwahine are derived from english and retain their original meanings but are pronounced differently with sometimes different syntax. Sum=Some, Moa=More, Wea=Where.

This is not the case with "choke" and "grind".

Comment

Well, in English itself, "bad" can mean good, and "sick" can mean great. I'm all for preserving language and proper usage (and improper usage can drive me up the wall), but considering that pidgin also includes "misused" words like "kakaroach" and "hamajang" and plenty of other words pretty much divorced from their original language and meaning... I'd rather embrace its occasional randomness and ridiculousness. It was never meant to be "proper." Just practical.

Comment

Here on the Big Island you say Braddah...On Oahu it's brah.

On the Big Island when you get all messed up from drinking you get "All Ke Ke" as in: Wow las night we wen Shootahs and wen drink to da moon. Ho wow dis morning I was all ke ke. On Oahu it's Bus Up.

I thought my pidgin was "Awright" but wow when I came to the Big Island, everybody said I spoke haole pidgin. I tell em, "It's urban pidgin for us sophisticated locals" den I buy em lunch at Blaines (Blands) and we go grind.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            Here on the Big Island you say Braddah...On Oahu it's brah.

On the Big Island when you get all messed up from drinking you get "All Ke Ke" as in: Wow las night we wen Shootahs and wen drink to da moon. Ho wow dis morning I was all ke ke. On Oahu it's Bus Up.

I thought my pidgin was "Awright" but wow when I came to the Big Island, everybody said I spoke haole pidgin. I tell em, "It's urban pidgin for us sophisticated locals" den I buy em lunch at Blaines (Blands) and we go grind.
                            Haven't heard "ke ke" in yeeeears... my Big Island cousins used to use it when they would come visit Honolulu to go clubbing.

I do hear people on Oahu use "braddah" though... that and "cuz" and "bu" and "ooose" (short for uso)...

Anyone still use "hemo" in day-to-day conversations? (i.e. "no forget hemo da shoes befo stay go in da house")

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                              Haven't heard "ke ke" in yeeeears... my Big Island cousins used to use it when they would come visit Honolulu to go clubbing.

I do hear people on Oahu use "braddah" though... that and "cuz" and "bu" and "ooose" (short for uso)...

Anyone still use "hemo" in day-to-day conversations? (i.e. "no forget hemo da shoes befo stay go in da house")

Used to use "hemo" on Oahu but I don't hear it used at all on the Big Island.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"Oh, babes, HEMO all your clothes" is still in use!

In the old days, my mother used to tell us to "PI-CHING" (lock) the car doors. There was no such thing as power door locks back then.

Also, to "CLOSE THE LIGHT" or "CLOSE THE TV" = "switch off", Then "P-YOU" the match (put it out), "P-YOU" the light (switch it off)

Comment

Working...
                                X