Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Candidate for Congress pushes income equality

Kathryn Xian opened her campaign Monday for the urban Honolulu seat in Congress with a populist theme of income equality.

[...]

State Sen. Will Espero, state Rep. K. Mark Takai and City Council members Stanley Chang and Ikaika Anderson are the other contenders for the seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa. Hanabusa is challenging U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz in the Democratic primary.

State Senate President Donna Mercado Kim is considering entering the primary for Congress, and would be the best known in the race if she declares.
    Women’s Rights Activist Kathryn Xian
    0.00%
    Hawai‘i State Rep. K. Mark Takai
    33.33%
    Honolulu City Councilman Ikaika Anderson
    11.11%
    Hawai‘i State Sen. Will Espero
    0.00%
    Honolulu City Councilman Stanley Chang
    0.00%
    Hawai‘i State Sen. Donna Mercado Kim (undeclared)
    33.33%
    none of the above/ someone else
    22.22%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by TuNnL; October 1, 2013, 02:23 PM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Well, here’s a game changer. Not that every political pundit wasn’t already expecting it.

Kim announces run for U.S. House seat

The outspoken state Senate president says experience makes her the best qualified
    By Gordon Y.K. Pang
    POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Nov 07, 2013

State Senate President Donna Mercado Kim officially jumped into the 2014 1st Congressional District race on Wednesday, immediately positioning herself as the most experienced and, arguably, the best known among what is now a field of six.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I have to say that Kim is the strongest candidate here and her entry encourages me. There are many good things to say about Takai, but just about every good thing I have to say has a little "but" at the end.

Chang seems to be popular, but (here I go again) he's basically Takai twenty years later, plus he carries with him a certain sliminess/polishedness that Takai mostly managed never to pick up. Takai has all that athletic cachet, plus he's a public school grad (HS and college) and has been consistently strong in education above all else. I'd pick Takai over Chang; still don't really want either in Washington.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I have to say that Kim is the strongest candidate here and her entry encourages me. There are many good things to say about Takai, but just about every good thing I have to say has a little "but" at the end.
        Donna Kim has a proven track record, but I worry about her national credentials. Mark Takai, OTOH, is a Lieutenant Colonel in the National Guard. While Hawai‘i must expand and diversify its economy if it wants to continue to prosper, the military is for better or for worse, a crucial piece of the puzzle. Kim brings nothing to the table there, while Takai is poised for an immediate appointment to an important committee in this respect. This will help strengthen our Hawai‘i delegation and complement U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s committee assignments.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Chang seems to be popular, but (here I go again) he's basically Takai twenty years later, plus he carries with him a certain sliminess/polishedness that Takai mostly managed never to pick up. Takai has all that athletic cachet, plus he's a public school grad (HS and college) and has been consistently strong in education above all else. I'd pick Takai over Chang
        I agree with everything except the part about Chang being popular or “polished.” Chang if you recall, barely defeated Kahala attorney Richard Turbin to win his seat on the Honolulu Council. Riding on the coattails of Charles Djou’s early praise, Chang eventually lost Djou’s endorsement to Turbin who would likely win if he chose to challenge Chang again.

Chang has gone on to be a huge disappointment. I can’t name a single thing he has accomplished for his district. The straw that broke the camel’s back for me was a committee hearing in which Chang first disallows any follow-up questions by the council, but when Ann Kobayashi twists his arm, he relents. He’s either a wimp, or publicly plays favorites. “In the interest of time” should be stricken from the allowable vocabulary in politics. It is code for “I don’t give a f*ck what you think — I’m running this committee so the only voice I want to hear is my own” (unless you’re Ann Kobayashi).

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Is Mark Takai's name Mark Hard in translation? With a name like that, he should be in what line of work.

Comment

Working...
          X