Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Virginia Tech shootings!

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    The pics posted gets added on every so often.....
    Though I do not these ppl who lost their lives its heartbreaking seeing their paths to the future suddenly cut short.
    I think they're posting the pictures of the victims as their next of kin are notified. And yes, the stories of the people who lost their lives are sad because there was so much potential snuffed out in a few minutes. I saw part of the convocation this morning. When the cameras cut to pictures of the audience, my heart really felt heavy, because in the audience, all the young people were wearing Virginia Tech U. logo shirts to show their respects for their fallen classmates. For being so large a campus, the kids seem to be very very close knit.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
      Andrew Kehoe still holds the record.
      For "modern United States worst mass murderer?" Perhaps you forget Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols & Michael Fortier - the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, Oklahoma City, April 19, 1995. 168 dead, more than 800 injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        For "modern United States worst mass murderer?" Perhaps you forget Timothy McVeigh, Terry Nichols & Michael Fortier - the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building, Oklahoma City, April 19, 1995. 168 dead, more than 800 injured.
        I think Modpirate failed to specify "school mass murderer" which is the proper designation for Kehoe.

A hero has emerged from the tragedy in the person of Professor Liviu Librescu who survived the Holocaust and Communist Romania before emigrating to Israel. He saved his students by barring the door with his body thereby allowing them time to escape out the windows.
        See the NY Times account.

Comment

I know this is no place for jokes but I think this comic best sums up the medias coverage on this and just about every other real tragedy.

http://dustinland.com/archives/archives285.html
          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

"We are all Hokies today"

Saw this on CNN this morning during the Convocation and it's now my Facebook icon:

And my heart just about sank when I saw this:

Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Candles in the wind...

Miulang
              Attached Files
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

And THAT is what it is all about right now.
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Virginia Tech University shooting

Hello,

It's going to get worst. as long as violence is on t.v, music, etc.

Bush is no different. When Saddam's two sons were killed he gave
                  AOL, yes AOL of all isp/proxy servers, the mutilated body pics to
                  show to millions of Americans on the internet.

Anyway, what do you think about the shooting?

Levi

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    And there it is.

I am sure we all knew that the blame game would start, just like after the Columbine shooting. it is hard for people to accept that some people are just screwed up, and don't value life, theirs or others.
                    Perhaps it is also even harder to accept even the loneliest people want social contact, even if they don't think they need it.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

It's already time for the media to analyze how they, the media, did in this situation...this from the L.A.Times:
                      Tim Rutten says it's not surprising that taken as a whole, the news media did a "thorough, competent and humane job" of covering the massacre "because we've all been here before, in one way or another ...and know how to cover these events. Perhaps because the reflexes we use to respond to outrages like the Virginia killings are so well conditioned, we blow right past a normative response that deserves far more deference than it now receives. The simple question: Why?"

Comment

The facts coming out now about Cho Seung indicate that his professors and fellow students DID report his aberrations to various authorities, but because of the way the US legal system works, no one could force him to do anything.

Nikki Giovanni, one hell of a poet and a professor at VT, had Cho in her class and told her dept. head that unless he was removed from her class, she would quit. The English Dept. head did nothing.

Some of his roommates said they knew about his stalking of some women students; the women students themselves reported the incidents to the school authorities, and yet he was still attending class.

He was referred for psychological counseling and even voluntarily admitted himself into a mental hospital for treatment for awhile. He was released. Because it was a voluntary commitment, it didn't show up on any records that are used to determine whether or not a person can legally buy or carry a gun.

There is certainly enough blame to place everywhere, but the bottom line is, instead of looking for someone else to blame, perhaps each of us needs to analyze the ways in which we all, as individuals, are contributing to this kind of violence.

Will this be the last incident of this type? Hell no. If a person is deranged and devious enough to play the games that work in this screwed up system, then there will be other Columbines, there WILL be other Virginia Techs. Sadly.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          perhaps each of us needs to analyze the ways in which we all, as individuals, are contributing to this kind of violence.
                          Let's hope the authorities stay away from the "Do you own a gun?" thread on HT, then.

Comment

Re: Virginia Tech University shooting

Originally posted by maliaam6 View Post
                            Hello,

It's going to get worst. as long as violence is on t.v, music, etc.

Bush is no different. When Saddam's two sons were killed he gave
                            AOL, yes AOL of all isp/proxy servers, the mutilated body pics to
                            show to millions of Americans on the internet.

Levi
                            please take your flame bait some where else, not called for here.
                            ~kthnxbai
                            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Concealed Carry Laws are the answer. If just one student had a weapon in his backpack, at least it may have been a fair fight.

Those who favor gun control laws are secretly rooting for the criminals. But they would NEVER admit that. However, it is the brutal truth.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Re: Virginia Tech University shooting

Originally posted by maliaam6 View Post
                                Bush is no different...
                                Asked and answered:
                                Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                                I am already annoyed by people using this as political leverage.
                                It's not about politics, it's about lives torn apart by senseless violence and the families.
                                People take advantage of any situation to shove their view down your throat.
                                Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                The murdered have no political viewpoints.

Comment

Working...
                                X