Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 9

Remember that hurricane that almost hit us a few weeks ago? If the hurricane had hit one of the outer islands the SuperFerry would have been an outrageously big help in transporting emergency equipment and supplies and personnel, but nooooooo...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• So...

...what, if any, are the plans for the SF's large and possibly unusable for anything else ramp that just sits at Pier 19?
      That is valuable harbor space. Is the long gone company paying for it?
      Why didn't they take it with them?
      Are they planning on taking it at some point?
      Will it have to be sunk as an artificial reef?
      Do they have other ramps at the outer island Harbors hogging pier space?
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Hey Ron, why don't you start a 'save the SF ramps' campaign? They're quite valuable from a historical perspective, not to mention how much cheaper to maintain than the FoC ...
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          ...what, if any, are the plans for the SF's large and possibly unusable for anything else ramp that just sits at Pier 19?
          That is valuable harbor space.
          Amen to that! Something that is essentially obsolete and useless shouldn't be taking up valuable waterfront space that could be utilized for something else. And those ramps have been sittin' there unused for about half a year now?

Reminds me about a certain old saltwater swimming pool that is literally crumbling apart, beyond repair, and hasn't been used for anything for the last 30 years. That bacterial cesspool is likewise taking up valuable beach space.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          Hey Ron, why don't you start a 'save the SF ramps' campaign? They're quite valuable from a historical perspective, not to mention how much cheaper to maintain than the FoC ...
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: So...

1)...what, if any, are the plans for the SF's large and possibly unusable for anything else ramp that just sits at Pier 19?
            2)Do they have other ramps at the outer island Harbors hogging pier space?
            1) Didn't the 'State' err 'us' foot the bill to build the ramps? I think so.
            2) There's another ramp in Kahului Harbor also.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Until a permanent plan for the pier is determined, the state should think about productive uses for those ramps. I like the idea this 11 year old kid came up with.

http://hisuperferry.blogspot.com/200...mps.html#links

From a reader:

My 11 year old son has a great idea - tow the HSF barges out to sea. Get a re-circ pump (ram or solar of course) and boogie boards. Open the ramps up as an on-the-water water park. You seen the one in Kalapaki, yeah? Either that or a skate park....Could be fun.

Hope Kallai
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I don't feel the need to defend the FOC or The Nat's bleachers and facade, they stand on their own as obvious historic, cultural, and potential boons to our local and visiting societys.

But if we own the ramp barges, like we bought the SF farm..., then somebody in the square circle should be coming up with a sensible use for the things.
                If an 11 yr. old can come up with an almost plausible idea, then maybe LingleCo can.
                And then I woke up...

Comment

As for the ramp, how about sinking it to make a reef? It would be the final insult to the Superferry and our busienss climate while the "environmentalists" laughed and cheered.

Comment

Yeah, them...
                    Who need's an evironment anyway?!

Comment

I don't see how the SuperFerry would truly have done much if anything worse to Hawaii's enviroment, than say... the tugs and barges running between the islands daily or even the cruise ships and container/oil ships from US and foriegn ports steadily.

Can someone make a solid case that the SuperFerry would have been more detrimental?
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        Can someone make a solid case that the SuperFerry would have been more detrimental?
                        Well... that was the idea behind requiring a full EIS, to determine what might have been the detrimental impact, if any. We'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          I don't see how the SuperFerry would truly have done much worse than tugs and barges. Can someone make a solid case that the SuperFerry would have been more detrimental?
                          About the only real example would be the danger to whales, especially when the SF kicked up speed. Whales aren't quite as adept to maneuvering avoidence of vessles that pose serious threat to them as I once thot.
                          But tugs are slow as turtles.
                          And, depending on how well they increased enforcement of restricting contaminated speices traveling from island to island, which they seemed to be failing at during it's short run, would be another point of concern.

I've stated before that we needed a SF long ago, but the way this admin. went about instituting it was asking for trouble and when they got it they made the worst of it. Too bad for everybody.

Comment

Yeah, them...
                            Young Brothers needs the environment for example, and less free market compatition. Makes you wonder if companies that ship interisland were helping out with funds for the "environmentalists". Seems plausible to me.

Comment

I just booked an inter-island flight to the Big Island on Hawaiian Air and got a reduced fare as a Hawaiin Miles member ($24.99 each way). But, the checked luggage charge is $10 for the FIRST BAG, $17 for each additional bag. No wonder a lot of people go to Vegas with Vacations Hawaii - two free checked-in bags and they feed you.

I had been looking forward to HSF service to the Big Island.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                                I just booked an inter-island flight to the Big Island on Hawaiian Air and got a reduced fare as a Hawaiin Miles member ($24.99 each way). But, the checked luggage charge is $10 for the FIRST BAG, $17 for each additional bag. No wonder a lot of people go to Vegas with Vacations Hawaii - two free checked-in bags and they feed you.

I had been looking forward to HSF service to the Big Island.
                                Jeez do ya have to yell?
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X