The Descendants - George Clooney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Descendants - George Clooney

I thought the movie was pretty good! believable characters. I want to read the book now.

Comment

Saw this yesterday at Kahala and loved, loved this movie! Maybe it was the music, the everyday people story, and the terrific acting... but put all together and truly a good movie to see! suggested to my family that you see it in the theater to get the full impact of Gabby's music- as well as the other muscicians.
      George Clooney was really good in this movie and showed his range of acting!

Aloha

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        And the land in question didn't look at it was on Kauai to being with.
        I should point out I am not making a negative comment about this movie but more of an curiosity of where the shot was taken. For those people who haven't seen the movie an image of this shot can be found on the Apple Trailers web site for The Descendants movie. Find the first trailer dated for May 25, 2011 (05/25/11). The shot of the landscape is on the 43 second mark where a group of 5 (with 4 being shown, since the 5th is hidden by one of male characters) people are looking down at a beach/mountain view in the distance.

I didn't recongize the landscape as being from Kauai. A co-worker of mines who is also from Kauai suggested the beach part is from Kauai but didn't recongize the mountain part. I suggested that the mountain part looks like the mountain range that is at the mouth of Nawiliwili Bay. So it might be a composite shot.

Comment

Helen, in the long run - what difference does it make? the movie wasn't made just for us here in Hawaii. It was made for a larger audience who will not know, or probably care, where it was filmed. Most people just go to movies and watch for the story or the actors and don't care about the scenery. We are really the only ones who notice these details. I notice but I try not to get too dstracted by the inaccuracies & just to enjoy the story. and I really did enjoy this movie. It was well made and showed a caring for Hawaii and its history that isn't usually shown in hollywood. I appreciatd that.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The location was on private property on Kauai, known by locals as either Lihue Plantation or Kipu Ranch, according to the linked website.

The history of that parcel closely parallels that of Clooney's King family parcel, about as close as you can get about a fictional piece of land.

Comment

Working...
            X