Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Should Civil Unions Be Legalized?

Surprising, the quotes from NY legislators:

“I cannot deny a person, a human being, a taxpayer, a worker, the people of my district and across this state, the State of New York, and those people who make this the great state that it is the same rights that I have with my wife.”
    - Mark J. Grisanti, a Republican from Buffalo who had sought office promising to oppose same-sex marriage, but voted for the measure after months of "agonizing" consideration.

“God, not Albany, has settled the definition of marriage, a long time ago.”
    - Rubén Díaz Sr. of the Bronx, the only Democratic senator to cast a no vote.

Comment

Love conquers all!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• Luv the Guv

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        That UCLA study doesn't exactly paint a picture of gay tourism in Hawaii booming as a result of the newly passed legislation.

In the meantime, the folks touting a rosy picture are, who? A gay wedding planner, a general manager of a gay vacation resort, and the president of the Hawaii tourism authority.
        Add Neil Abercrombie to that list. As you pointed out, the governor actually believes in one weekend, civil unions could replace the $29 million in visitor spending the Pro Bowl generates when it comes to town.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

• Re: Luv the Guv

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Add Neil Abercrombie to that list. As you pointed out, the governor actually believes in one weekend, civil unions could replace the $29 million in visitor spending the Pro Bowl generates when it comes to town.
          I don't know about one weekend, but the Governor does make a good point, which you failed to address T. I think HI should go for it - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• Guv is out of touch

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            I don't know about one weekend, but the Governor does make a good point, which you failed to address T. I think HI should go for it - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
            Newsflash! New York governor Andrew Cuomo signed a same-sex marriage measure into law, which takes effect on July 24th. Let me emphasize that again. New York is not merely recognizing civil unions for gay couples. They are recognizing marriages.

Already, NY is getting set for thousands of gay couples to get married in their state as soon as the law goes into effect.

What I wrote in post #279 of this thread rings even truer now. Why would gay couples from the mainland fly all the way here, just to register for a civil union application when they can now get legally married in New York and 5 other states? I suppose Hawaii can offer surf and sand to LGBT tourists. But I doubt that such couples will make the trek to Hawaii primarily for a civil union certificate. Why settle for that, when other states now offer an official marriage license?
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: Guv is out of touch

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Why would gay couples from the mainland fly all the way here, just to register for a civil union application when they can now get legally married in New York and 5 other states? I suppose Hawaii can offer surf and sand to LGBT tourists. But I doubt that such couples will make the trek to Hawaii primarily for a civil union certificate. Why settle for that, when other states now offer an official marriage license?
              My point was HI should grant marriage licenses. It is my understanding that is what the Governor's point was too. Why would anyone fly to NY to get married when they could fly to HI to get married?

Comment

Why would anyone fly to NY to get married when they could fly to HI to get married?
                Well, there's always Iowa. (It's a lot nicer than you might think ... depending upon the time of year, and MUCH cheaper than either NY or HI for those couples getting hitched on a budget.)

Comment

My point was HI should grant marriage licenses.
                  Well, it would take another act of legislation for that to be a reality.

It is my understanding that is what the Governor's point was too.
                  This is the governor's exact quote during that now infamous anti-Pro Bowl rant:

“Please, we will get more out of civil unions in a weekend then we will get out of those guys,” he said, referring to the Pro Bowl.
                  The bottom line is this. The governor didn't mention anything about issuing marriage licenses for gays. In the quote, he specifically cites the present "civil unions" measure as being an economic stimulus that would be greater than the Pro Bowl.

Why would anyone fly to NY to get married when they could fly to HI to get married?
                  Why would they fly in to NY, indeed, when you have an estimated 45,000 gay couples now living in NY state? And of course, gays living in neighboring states like Pennsylvania and New Jersey who want a legal marriage certificate and ceremony probably won't be flying in to NY. They'll simply drive there.

As the article states, the state of NY is gearing up for thousands of gay couples to get married in the upcoming days following July 24th. If any of those couples from the East Coast come to Hawaii later on, it won't have anything to do with our state's civil unions measure.

While the passage of the civil unions measure in Hawaii was significant and historic to the people here, it's like a baby step compared to the other states that have already taken a greater leap into allowing gay marriage. Abercrombie and his ilk seem to be a step behind the times, imagining Hawaii's civil unions arrangement being some kind of magnet for mainland gays to come here, just to register themselves. It might have been true ten years ago. But in 2011? It's a day late and a dollar short.
                  Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 26, 2011, 10:48 AM.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Well, there's always Iowa. (It's a lot nicer than you might think ... depending upon the time of year, and MUCH cheaper than either NY or HI for those couples getting hitched on a budget.)
                    Yep. The $$$$ factor is important. Not just for the couple, but for invited family and guests. Like many couples who want to be wed, they want as many relatives and friends to be there for the ceremony and reception. Flying out to Hawaii would be cost prohibitive to most people.

Realistically, Hawaii has more to gain marketing itself as a honeymoon destination. The governor's idea of Hawaii's civil unions measure being an economic stimulus on the level of the Pro Bowl is laughable.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 26, 2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

We need to establish a commission of Priests, pastors, preachers and Imams to review every application for marriage. Every couple must file an application to be certified to be morally pure and necessary to the advancement of the state. The Commission could arrange morally correct marriages for the people. Churches should have the final say on marriage, especially civil ones since churches do not pay taxes and are entitled to dictate how tax paying citizens comport themselves. Only by strict enforcement of religious doctrine can we assure the American people of freedom tempered by moral responsibility. It is the responsibility of government to enforce the will of irrelevant third parties such as other peoples' churches upon the public.

Comment

Working...
                      X