Breaker panels don't shut off completely all outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaker panels don't shut off completely all outlets

well, after close to 18 years, i decided to replace some electrical outlets myself...with my portable electricity sniffer tool, I found out that shutting off the breaker switch for the supposedly entire bedroom did not shut off power completely for all circuits in that room. In my case, it only closed off power to 2 of the 3 walls in the room.

This went on for some other breaker panels...geez...all i can tell you is that you cannot assume all power is shut off because of the breaker panel switch being switched to 'off'.

Be careful, and test your ALL of your electrical outlets ...

Re: Breaker panels don't shut off completely all outlets

I take it you and anyone else who was working on it are okay?

The next question one would ask is the person doing the work a licensed electrican?

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
      all i can tell you is that you cannot assume all power is shut off because of the breaker panel switch being switched to 'off'.
      I'm not sure if I understand. I've always found the labels for breakers as a "suggestion" and not something to be relied on when safety is involved.

Comment

Labels on breaker panels should NEVER be trusted. Often times, some outlets but not all (even in a bedroom) may be connected to a GFI circuit on a diffrent breaker that may be labeled "bathroom outlets." This is done sometimes to even the load on the various circuits.

The best protection is to purchase a circuit testor at Home Depot for about $5, plug it into the outlet to see if it is still "hot", check continuity, check grounding, etc. At a minimum, plug a lamp into the outlet and see if it turns on. Make sure the bulb is not burned out! (Don't ask me why I say that )

Be very careful with electricity in a residence. A mistake can really ruin your day!
        Last edited by matapule; January 13, 2012, 09:01 AM.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Check your ground potential. perhaps another circuit is feeding a difference of potential vial the ground lead that is common through out the home's entire ground.

A shorting compressor can run a source of power thru the ground lead and backdoor a circuit shut down at the service panel.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X