Honest Oahu laptop repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Oahu laptop repair

Having gotten a considerate caution towards Best Buy's Geek repair services, which is where I was about to have my HP DV7Z diagnosed/serviced, what reputable laptop repairmen/shop can be suggested in the Honolulu area?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Honest Oahu laptop repair

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Having gotten a considerate caution towards Best Buy's Geek repair services,
    Are they connected with SuperGeeks? I could be wrong, but they charge more.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      Dat's dem. Their $85 diagnostic seems to be the highest I've seen so far...

Comment

There's a little repair shop on Pauahi Street.
        It's near Fort Street Mall, close to Bethel Street.
        Very reasonable. Fixed my Desk Top for $60.00.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          There's a little repair shop on Pauahi Street.
          It's near Fort Street Mall, close to Bethel Street.
          Very reasonable. Fixed my Desk Top for $60.00.
          Thanx, Lynn. If I'm able to vote per your district you got my vote!

Comment

Thanx, Lynn. If I'm able to vote per your district you got my vote!
            Awwww...Mahalo Ron.

That really started my day with a SMILE!

My web site is almost complete.
            http://lynnvasquez.com/Home_Page.php

Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Cowabunga has been good to me

Comment

Update/ref/mahalo

Thanx, Lynn, that was a good ref. I'd suggest the Pauahi/Fort St. Gadget Guyz and their other shop at 1391 Kap. (the vacant car lot) to anyone. I felt they were very up & up.
                Ended up just being a bad cord = $50 WOOHOO!

Comment

Here's my sad tale! My HP dv (something or other) died last week. It was only 1 1/2 years old! The hard drive blew up. So many sectors went bad that nothing was retrieveable! Some local guys (in SoCal) charged me $50 for the diagnostic. They wanted $275 to install a new hard drive. Super Geeks at Best Buy wanted $325. Both wanted more money if they formatted the drive. All of a sudden this wasn't making economic sense! I bit the bullet and went out and bought a new laptop for not much more than the repairs. With the new computer, I got an I3 processor ( much faster than the Duo Core I had), Windows 7 (a big improvement over my previous Vista OS), Office 2010, and other improvements. I shopped various local places including Costco. I shopped the Internet too but wound up buying locally at OfficeMax where I got (for me) the best deal. OfficeMax offered me a 5 year warranty, including one free battery replacement, for $225 extra. This warranty covers EVERYTHING including if I drop it, spill a margarita on it, or sit on it. If it can't be fixed in 3 tries, they give me a new computer. There is zero deductible and it includes postage both ways. So I feel satisfied with my decision.

The rest of the story........I had backed up my previous laptop with a 4mb Flash Drive. But.......I only backed up ESSENTIAL files like Quicken. I lost about 90% of 25 or 30 years of stuff. This was personal stuff that was an important historical record for me. Pretty discouraging. So when buying this new laptop, I also purchased an HP 320mb portable hard drive from Costco for $60, about the size of two decks of cards. This thing is fantastic! You hook it to a USB port and it backs up automatically. It backs up all files that have been changed since the last backup or you can leave it plugged in and it backsup while you work! There is nothing you have to do, it is all automatic. You can search on the portable to see exactly what you have there.

I urge all HT ohana to give strong consideration to purchase a portable hard drive. Don't make the mistake I did! Yes there are companies that will attempt to access and retrieve files from a damaged hard drive, but they wanted $1500 to try, whether they were successful or not!

Good luck and be safe.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

While I don't have anything near the value you lost stored on mine, I'll be doing as you suggest and get an ext. hd.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      Yes there are companies that will attempt to access and retrieve files from a damaged hard drive, but they wanted $1500 to try, whether they were successful or not!

Good luck and be safe.
                      there are a few places here in san diego that state... no recovery, no fee.

so, if the information was that important then i would look for those places.

joel

Comment

Originally posted by JAvendan View Post
                        there are a few places here in san diego that state... no recovery, no fee.
                        Maasi'i Joel, any possibility you could get me a telephone number? Malo 'aupito.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

here's one...

http://www.adv-data.com/

i recall some one here at work used one of the local recovery companies.

i'll see if i can find the emails about that.

joel

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          Maasi'i Joel, any possibility you could get me a telephone number? Malo 'aupito.

Comment

Having gotten a considerate caution towards Best Buy's Geek repair services, which is where I was about to have my HP DV7Z diagnosed/serviced, what reputable laptop repairmen/shop can be suggested in the Honolulu area?
                            Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Dat's dem.
                            oh, gees! i sign onto HT for the first time in months for a little bit merely to share hawaii five-o pics then cruise around the posts just to find yet another instance of ron lazily spreading his unreliable information. tsk, tsk.

let me undo the damage he's done and add a few freebies:

geek squad =/= supergeeks. one is tied to a national corporation; the other is a local business.

this is supergeeks. visual cue as to their identity: they often drive MINI coopers but have branched out to other cars. they're located in several stand alone shops in town.

this is best buy's geek squad. visual cue as to their identity: they drive volkswagen bugs. you find them in best buy only.

knowing someone who used to do computer repair work for circuit city and then geek squad, i'd say stay far far far away from geek squad in pearl city. their manager has very little technical experience and is sales-oriented. unless you have a very simple fix, they'll either turn you away or try to sell you services you don't need. the iwilei geek squad's manager is reportedly much more competent technically and a good guy, but he's limited by what higher management will allow him to do to keep good, knowledgeable techs. that means that while the work done there will be reasonably good, maybe even excellent depending on which tech you get, you'll have to wait a long time. i've heard less about supergeeks as a service than i've heard about supergeeks as an employer, so i'll leave it at that.

i'm lucky enough to live in sin with my own in-house computer/networking tech (which results in us knowing a number of people in the IT/computer repair industry), so i've not had to pay anyone to fix my machines in many years. however, i highly recommend cyberlife PC on liliha street. ethical techs, fair pricing, and best of all--they'll do jobs that geek squad and supergeeks won't do. here's a profile midweek did on cyberlife PC and its owner, who has almost two decades experience in the business.

lastly: in addition to getting an external HD, there is the option of backing up your files using an online service. PC World did a write up on several. Here's their handy dandy chart briefly describing services and price.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The world is now a much safer place, walk outside without fear people! Thank you, Cyn, you're my new hero!

OK, I got my geeks wrong, but the locations correct, so nobody was about to drive off the edge of the planet... except maybe my hero.

www.computergeekshawaii.com Home of the $75 flat-rate computer repair. 599-4335
                              77 S. Pauahi (at Fort St. Mall)
                              1391 Kapiolani Bl.

Comment

Working...
                              X